Dana White on Jon Jones-Daniel Cormier brawl: 'I would have separated them'


UFC president Dana White was noticeably absent for the brawl between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier in the lobby of the MGM Grand last week.

With White on vacation in Bora Bora, UFC PR director Dave Sholler took over his boss' usual role as the person who squares the fighters off for photos, and, well, you know what happened by now.

White is back from his vacation, and he spoke at length about the brawl between the UFC light heavyweight champion and his undefeated challenger. And as you might expect, White told UFC.com that had he been there in Las Vegas, the brawl never would have happened.

"As soon as Jones went up and their bodies touched, I would have separated them," White said. "Sometimes you'll see me put a hand in, or sometimes you'll see me do something else. I would have separated them. It was the head butt, Jones headbutted Cormier. That's what upset [Daniel] and made him push him back. I would have got my arm in there before that contact was even made. I would have seen the contact coming and I would have stopped it. Then I would have been right in the middle. Would I have stopped that whole thing from going down, who the f-- knows? I wasn't here."

Despite what went down at the MGM, White hasn't lost his enthusiasm for watching fighters square off. So we should expect another staredown - this time with White in the middle - in the leadup to the rescheduled fight on Jan. 3.

"When those guys get up there and you have the mentality of a fighter, and not everybody is the same," White said. "There are some guys who can go up there and can stare at each other and it's all good, and then there are guys where there can be any little thing that can be off, or something that was said leading up to them being face to face, and anything can happen. These guys are fighters, man, they're ready to go. And that's what makes the weigh-ins so amazing and why I love it so much. Those staredowns, there's nothing f------ like it."

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC President Dana White offered his thoughts on the declining PPV numbers in 2014. The significant decline in pay-per-view revenue is hardly a new discussion in MMA circles. Over the past few years, read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

MEXICO CITY – UFC President Dana White has long discussed his desire to take the world’s largest MMA organization to Mexico. On the eve of that dream becoming a reality, is Mexico as excited to play read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 26 views

UFC President Dana White has clarified recent comments that he could strip UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez of his belt, but the titleholder said he “doesn’t care” about the strap anyway.Filed read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 0 views

If UFC President Dana White's hunch proves correct, MMA fans will see the promotion's former welterweight champion, Georges "Rush" St-Pierre, back inside the Octagon sooner than later. During the UFC read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC President Dana White has again hinted former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar might be interested in making a return to the octagon once his WWE obligations end.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC President Dana White offers his thoughts on the Bellator 131 ratings from their show last Saturday night. Last Saturday, Bellator MMA went head-to-head against the UFC in what turned out to be a read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC president Dana White says the door is open for Brock Lesnar if the former heavyweight titleholder decides that he wants to fight again. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

In the fallout of his brawl with Daniel Cormier at the MGM Grand in early August, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones lost his Nike sponsorship deal. Jones admitted as much during a disciplinary read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 4 views

On Thursday, Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White revealed that a civil lawsuit against Anthony Johnson has been dismissed, thus allowing the light heavyweight to resume fighting immed read news >>

Jump to: