Dana White: Winner of UFC 158 Co-Headliner to Become Top Welterweight Contender



A new welterweight No. 1 contender will be named this Saturday at UFC 158.

UFC President Dana White announced the news Thursday during a pre-fight press conference, revealing that the winner of Johny Hendricks’ showdown with Carlos Condit will be regarded as the top contender at 170 pounds. UFC 158 takes place at the Bell Centre in Montreal and is headlined by Georges St. Pierre’s welterweight title defense against former Strikeforce ruler Nick Diaz.

Hendricks, 29, has won five straight fights since suffering the lone loss of his career to Rick Story in 2010. “Bigg Rigg” fought twice last year, taking a split decision from former title contender Josh Koscheck before knocking out well-rounded Dane Martin Kampmann in just 46 seconds at UFC 154.

Condit, 28, was initially supposed to rematch Rory MacDonald at UFC 158 but was later paired with Hendricks after “Ares” withdrew due to injury. Condit saw a five-fight winning streak snapped in his last outing, as “The Natural Born Killer” came up short in his bid to wrest the title from around the waist of St. Pierre last November.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 20 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight contender Tyron Woodley recently called out Matt "The Immortal" Brown, but it appears the UFC has different plans for T-Wood. Speaking with UFC.com, UFC President Dana White revealed read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 5 views

Ronaldo Souza and Dana White seem to have different views on what “Jacare’s” win over Gegard Mousasi at Friday’s UFC Fight Night event in Mashantucket, Conn., means to the mi read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 207 views

UFC boss Dana White made an unflattering list in GQ magazine, being named one of the top 10 “sleaziest” figures in sports. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 12 views

UFC President Dana White said a potential welterweight fight between Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard is a go – if Woodley agrees. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 14 views

Hector Lombard has already agreed to a fight against fellow Top 10 welterweight Tyron Woodley, according to UFC President Dana White. read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC president Dana White joined the Jacare vs. Mousasi weigh-in show on Fox Sports 1 on Thursday to break down the fight card, including the main event, of which he said the winner will be "damn clos read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC President Dana White previews the upcoming main event between Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza and proclaims the eventual winner ‘pretty damn close’ to a title shot. Following the less-t read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 8 views

Uno mas! Despite losing three of his four most recent mixed martial arts (MMA) matches inside the Octagon, and garnering an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) "bust" label along the way, Alistair O read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 1 views

If former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre was still on the fence about making his return to mixed martial arts (MMA), after taking a break from combat spo read news >>