Dana White Targets Anthony Pettis vs. TJ Grant for UFC on Fox 9; Faber vs. McDonald Booked


Anthony PettisUFC on Fox 9 has had a date for quite some time, but just recently got a venue and location: the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento.

Now, the fight card is starting to take shape.

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told UFC Tonight that he is targeting UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis’ first title defense as the UFC on Fox 9 main event. If it comes to fruition, he’ll put the belt on the line against No. 1 contender T.J. Grant.

Pettis injured his knee in capturing the belt from Benson Henderson, but the injury was deemed a Grade 2 sprain, meaning he should be good to go well before December.

The question mark, however, is if Grant would be ready. Grant was the original opponent for Henderson, but suffered a concussion in training. He told UFC Tonight’s Ariel Helwani that he was targeting a return in January, but would consider December if that’s what the UFC wants.

One fight that has been booked, according to UFC officials on Twitter, is Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald. It will serve as the co-main event in Sacramento, Faber’s hometown. McDonald’s manager, Tom Call, confirmed that a verbal agreement is in place for the bout.

Faber (29-6) is on a three-fight winning streak, after losing in his bid to become the UFC interim bantamweight champion by dropping a unanimous decision to Renan Barao at UFC 149 last summer. His streak has kept him in the thick of title contention and a win over McDonald would likely put him right at the top of the list.

McDonald (16-2) also failed in his own bid to become the interim champ when Barao submitted him at UFC on Fuel TV 7 in February. That loss ended an eight-fight winning streak.

McDonald has since bounced back by submitting Brad Pickett at the recent UFC Fight Night 26 in Boston.

White indicated that Faber’s teammate, Chad Mendes, is also a target for the UFC on Fox 9 fight card, although no probably opponent was named.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 23 days ago
  • 71 views

UFC President Dana White has appointed a new fighter atop his personal pound-for-pound list. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 28 views

UFC president Dana White has anointed Anthony Pettis as the new #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world ahead of Pettis' co-main event title fight vs. Gilbert Melendez. UFC lightweight champion Antho read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 8 views

After 17 UFC bouts and 12 UFC victories, Rafael dos Anjos will more than likely be competing for UFC gold in early 2015. With UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis healthy and ready to step back in read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

Rafael Dos Anjos is next in line to Anthony Pettis' UFC lightweight crown following Rafael Dos Anjos took a dominant win over Nate Diaz which had judges awarding him a couple of 10-8 rounds during th read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 7 views

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- For six years, a UFC title shot has eluded Rafael dos Anjos. No longer. Following the Brazilian's lopsided victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 13, UFC President Dana White announce read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 21 views

Earlier this year, it was Renan Barao. Then it was Jon Jones. At some point, it was probably Jose Aldo, too. But UFC president Dana White has changed his mind again on who the best pound-for-pound fi read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC President Dana White discusses the UFC 181 main event and whether the promotion will look to make a trilogy fight between Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler. Although many assumed that Rory MacDon read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

In town to support a UFC on FOX 13 preliminary card fighter, Invicta FC featherweight champ Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino received a present from UFC President Dana White: Front-row tickets.Filed under: read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

After trouncing Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 13, Rafael dos Anjos might just be in line for a lightweight title fight. The news was announced by UFC President Dana White at the UFC on Fox 13 post-fight pr read news >>