Dana White: TJ Grant Will Get Next Crack at UFC Lightweight Title


TJ Grant UFC 119-004Although new UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis‘ health is currently in question, his first title defense is not.

UFC president Dana White told Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports – an official MMAWeekly.com content partner – that TJ Grant will get the next shot at the lightweight title. Although Iole added that Pettis is still undergoing tests on the knee he injured when taking the belt from Benson Henderson at UFC 164 on Saturday night.

Pettis had been slated to drop down to featherweight and challenge UFC champion Jose Aldo at UFC 163 in early August, but a minor injury forced him out of the fight. His recovery time allowed him to step into the fight with Henderson after TJ Grant fell out of that fight.

As soon as Pettis defeated Henderson, chatter started up about whether he would again try to make the fight with Aldo happen or if he would be asked to remain at lightweight and put his belt up against Grant.

Pettis and Aldo each made public comments that they still wanted to fight each other. Although there is always some wiggle room to make a fight between champions happen, it appears that the first defense of Pettis’ newly minted UFC lightweight championship belt will be against Grant.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • a day ago
  • 120 views

LOS ANGELES -- UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson scared Dana White by pulling off a fake brawl at the "Welcome to the Show" event Saturday afternoon. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 4 views

Vitor Belfort wants an interim UFC middleweight title shot. Or wait a minute, maybe he doesn’t. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 6 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship has been scrambling to find someone to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 184 next month, but apparently “The Phenom” is being picky. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC President Dana White said his phone started ringing as soon as middleweight champion Chris Weidman (12-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) withdrew from next month’s UFC 184. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC President Dana White suggested an Anderson Silva win over Nick Diaz could earn “The Spider” a title shot. So with the victory in the books, does the former champ deserve another fight with Chris read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 61 views

It appears the former lightweight champion may want to stay at welterweight after all. After an awe-inspiring performance in the main event of UFC Fight Night 60 last night (Sat., Feb. 14, 2015) live read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 319 views

LOS ANGELES – For a minute there, UFC President Dana White clearly had a look on his face that suggested the fight promotion had another PR disaster on its hands.Filed under: Featured, Featured Video read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 45 views

Dana's face is priceless! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass put together a special "Welcome to the Show" press conference this afternoon (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015), highlighting several of the up read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 14 views

UFC President Dana White damn near had a heart attack when Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson put their hands on each other during a heated stare down today during a fan event in Los Angeles. read news >>