Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conference
Alistair Overeem will sit out the next nine months after a failed drug test, but his fate with the UFC is still up in the air.

On Tuesday, Overeem appeared before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer to the charges of an elevated testosterone test that was return after a drug screening in late March following the UFC 146 pre-fight press conference.

Ultimately, the commission decided to deny Overeem a license and the resulting penalty was 9-months before he could re-apply for a fight license in Nevada, and also agree not to fight in another state or province while under the suspension.

UFC President Dana White was out of the country when the Overeem verdict was handed down, but on Wednesday he appeared on the Jim Rome Show where he found out about the punishment literally on air.

“I wasn’t very optimistic about his chances. I didn’t think things were going to turn out very well for him, as expected. 9 months? 9 months isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought he’d get a year, easily a year,” said White with some surprise.

Overeem’s claim on Tuesday was that a doctor had administered a shot with anti-inflammatory drugs, but the cocktail also contained testosterone that resulted in the elevated levels during the test.

Regardless of what was injected into Overeem’s body, White says that the UFC heavyweight should have disclosed it to the commission no matter what was inside.

“Whatever medicine you’re on you’re supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test,” said White.

“I’m not a fan, I’m not a fan at all. You’re not going to hear me defending Alistair Overeem, believe me.”

Now with Overeem on the shelf for the next nine months, will he soon also be a free agent?

“I don’t know we’ll see what happens,” White said about possibly releasing Overeem. “He went before the commission, the commission gave him nine months. I’m sure he’s going to have to go in and test again.

“Before he went in there he sat down at a lunch with me and my partner, looked us in the face and said ‘I’m the most tested athlete in all of sports, they can test me whenever they want to’. He flew in for the press conference, they tested him, and now he’s on a 9 month suspension, claiming he was on anti-inflammatories which he should have told them about before they tested.”

The heart of the matter for White comes down to the fact that he believes Overeem lied to him, and that’s something that is not easily forgiven.

“I do, yeah, I know he lied to me,” said White. “I don’t like it.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on Fox 21: Demian Maia's Incredible 15-Year Summit

UFC on Fox 21's Demian Maia is turning 39 in just over two months. His first professional MMA fight was 15 years ago. He heads into his fight against former welterweight contender Carlos Condit, seek read news >>

Alistair Overeem Doesn’t Think Fedor was the Best of All Time (UFC 203 Video)

Check out Alistair Overeem as he explains why he thinks his friend, Fedor Emelienenko, is not the best heavyweight fighter of all time. read news >>

Alistair Overeem Disappointed, Not Surprised, Brock Lesnar Failed Drug Test (UFC 203 Video)

UFC heavyweight title challenger Alistair Overeem is disappointed, but not surprised that Brock Lesnar had trouble with drug testing. read news >>

Five months, six fights - no problem for Macedo

Veronica Macedo has fought six times in the last five months since she turned pro. On Saturday Macedo makes her UFC debut against Ashlee Evans-Smith at Fight Night Hamburg. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Talks UFC Return, Dana White and Possible Comeback Opponents

Georges St-Pierre has reaffirmed his intention to make a full return to MMA and has hit back at suggestions from UFC President Dana White that he doesn’t have the desire to fight. The 35-year-old has read news >>

Arlovski taking fight very serious, wants KO

Four months later, Andrei Arlovski is back. Back in the cage and back in the old world, where he is once again set to headline a European city’s UFC debut. This time: Hamburg, Germany on Saturday, Se read news >>

Alistair Overeem on Andrei Arlovski: He’s Not Cool with Me at All (Video)

While most fighters in most gyms, you'd think they'd all come together as friends. That's not necessarily so with Alistair Overeem and Andrei Arlovski. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

UFC 203 Countdown Video: Stipe Moicoc vs. Alistair Overeem

UFC 203 Countdown takes you inside the lives of Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem. Ending Cleveland’s 50-year title drought, Miocic gets his first defense. read news >>