Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conference
Alistair Overeem will sit out the next nine months after a failed drug test, but his fate with the UFC is still up in the air.

On Tuesday, Overeem appeared before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer to the charges of an elevated testosterone test that was return after a drug screening in late March following the UFC 146 pre-fight press conference.

Ultimately, the commission decided to deny Overeem a license and the resulting penalty was 9-months before he could re-apply for a fight license in Nevada, and also agree not to fight in another state or province while under the suspension.

UFC President Dana White was out of the country when the Overeem verdict was handed down, but on Wednesday he appeared on the Jim Rome Show where he found out about the punishment literally on air.

“I wasn’t very optimistic about his chances. I didn’t think things were going to turn out very well for him, as expected. 9 months? 9 months isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought he’d get a year, easily a year,” said White with some surprise.

Overeem’s claim on Tuesday was that a doctor had administered a shot with anti-inflammatory drugs, but the cocktail also contained testosterone that resulted in the elevated levels during the test.

Regardless of what was injected into Overeem’s body, White says that the UFC heavyweight should have disclosed it to the commission no matter what was inside.

“Whatever medicine you’re on you’re supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test,” said White.

“I’m not a fan, I’m not a fan at all. You’re not going to hear me defending Alistair Overeem, believe me.”

Now with Overeem on the shelf for the next nine months, will he soon also be a free agent?

“I don’t know we’ll see what happens,” White said about possibly releasing Overeem. “He went before the commission, the commission gave him nine months. I’m sure he’s going to have to go in and test again.

“Before he went in there he sat down at a lunch with me and my partner, looked us in the face and said ‘I’m the most tested athlete in all of sports, they can test me whenever they want to’. He flew in for the press conference, they tested him, and now he’s on a 9 month suspension, claiming he was on anti-inflammatories which he should have told them about before they tested.”

The heart of the matter for White comes down to the fact that he believes Overeem lied to him, and that’s something that is not easily forgiven.

“I do, yeah, I know he lied to me,” said White. “I don’t like it.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Watch: Alistair Overeem Knocks Out Andrei Arlovski with "Karate Kid" Crane Kick

Just 18 months ago, Alistair Overeem was the biggest bust in UFC history. 'Reem signed with the UFC in 2011 with a massive wave of hype behind him. Dream heavyweight champion. Strikeforce heavyweight read news >>

'Reem karate kicks way to win over Arlovski

Alistair Overeem sent fans home happy, defeating Andrei Arlovski with a karate kick to win the main event at Fight Night Rotterdam in his home nation of Netherlands. read news >>

Fight Night Rotterdam rewind: What you got right & wrong

Fight Night Rotterdam, featuring the heavyweight main event between Alistair Overeem and Andrei Arlovski, featured a few plot twists few saw coming. Here's a look at what people got right and wrong a read news >>

After 4th Straight Win, It's Now or Never for Alistair Overeem's UFC Title Hopes

In a division where advanced age seems to be a strength, there is no end in sight to Alistair Overeem’s UFC title hopes. For most heavyweights, there will always be more chances until everything comp read news >>

UFC Fight Night 87 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 198

UFC Fight Night 87 is in the books! The results are as follows: Alistair Overeem defeats Andrei Arlovski by TKO at 1:12 of the second round Stefan Struve defeats Antonio Silva by TKO at 0:16 of the f read news >>

UFC Sale Video: What Happens to Dana White if the UFC is Sold?

If the UFC actually does get sold, what happens to UFC president Dana White? read news >>

Dana White says UFC 'not for sale' despite ESPN report to the contrary (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: A report Tuesday said the UFC's owners are in advanced talks to sell the business and it is expected to be valued between $3.5 billion and $4 billion. read news >>

Dana White says UFC 'not for sale' despite ESPN report (Yahoo Sports)

Dana White Denies ESPN Report: ‘The UFC is Not for Sale’

The MMA world was jolted on Tuesday when an ESPN report indicated that the UFC was for sale, but UFC president Dana White declares the report untrue. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Relationship with Conor McGregor

UFC President Dana White stated Wednesday that he's worked to repair his relationship with Conor McGregor after a period of verbal warfare that led to a brief retirement for one of the promotion's bi read news >>