Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conference
Alistair Overeem will sit out the next nine months after a failed drug test, but his fate with the UFC is still up in the air.

On Tuesday, Overeem appeared before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer to the charges of an elevated testosterone test that was return after a drug screening in late March following the UFC 146 pre-fight press conference.

Ultimately, the commission decided to deny Overeem a license and the resulting penalty was 9-months before he could re-apply for a fight license in Nevada, and also agree not to fight in another state or province while under the suspension.

UFC President Dana White was out of the country when the Overeem verdict was handed down, but on Wednesday he appeared on the Jim Rome Show where he found out about the punishment literally on air.

“I wasn’t very optimistic about his chances. I didn’t think things were going to turn out very well for him, as expected. 9 months? 9 months isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought he’d get a year, easily a year,” said White with some surprise.

Overeem’s claim on Tuesday was that a doctor had administered a shot with anti-inflammatory drugs, but the cocktail also contained testosterone that resulted in the elevated levels during the test.

Regardless of what was injected into Overeem’s body, White says that the UFC heavyweight should have disclosed it to the commission no matter what was inside.

“Whatever medicine you’re on you’re supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test,” said White.

“I’m not a fan, I’m not a fan at all. You’re not going to hear me defending Alistair Overeem, believe me.”

Now with Overeem on the shelf for the next nine months, will he soon also be a free agent?

“I don’t know we’ll see what happens,” White said about possibly releasing Overeem. “He went before the commission, the commission gave him nine months. I’m sure he’s going to have to go in and test again.

“Before he went in there he sat down at a lunch with me and my partner, looked us in the face and said ‘I’m the most tested athlete in all of sports, they can test me whenever they want to’. He flew in for the press conference, they tested him, and now he’s on a 9 month suspension, claiming he was on anti-inflammatories which he should have told them about before they tested.”

The heart of the matter for White comes down to the fact that he believes Overeem lied to him, and that’s something that is not easily forgiven.

“I do, yeah, I know he lied to me,” said White. “I don’t like it.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator 162 lineup complete for Memphis, including delayed pro debut of 'Baby Slice'

Next month’s lineup for Bellator 162 is complete with a whopping 12 fights on the preliminary card, including the highly anticipated pro debut of Kevin Ferguson Jr. – “Baby Slice.”Filed under: Bellat read news >>

Ronda Rousey 'Absolutely' Wants Cris Cyborg UFC Fight, Says Dana White

UFC President Dana White has said former bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey "absolutely, positively wants to fight" Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris Cyborg. White was asked about the possibilit read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Dana White thinks Ronda Rousey will fight before the end of 2016

Dana White believes Ronda Rousey is ready for a comeback sooner rather than later. read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor Wins Second Belt, It Will Be a Short Reign |

If Conor McGregor wins the lightweight championship at UFC 205 in New York, he would become a two-division champion. If so, it could be a short reign. read news >>

Dana White explains booking Alvarez vs. McGregor for UFC 205, says Nurmagomedov wants Johnson

After a week of speculation over the UFC 205 main event, including UFC President Dana White tweeting Khabib Nurmagomedov was next up for lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez, the promotion surprised every read news >>

Dana White: Ronda Rousey Absolutely Positively Wants to Fight Cyborg... So? No? |

So what do we really know when Dana White says that Ronda Rousey "absolutely, positively" wants to fight Cris Cyborg? read news >>

Dana White: 'Ronda Rousey absolutely wants to fight Cyborg'

According to Dana White, former champ Ronda Rousey is looking to throw down with longtime rivalCris"Cyborg" Justino.Ronda Rousey is alreadyguaranteed an immediate title shotif and when she read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

If Victorious, Conor McGregor Not Giving Up Either UFC Belt Voluntarily |

If Conor McGregor wins a second belt in November, Dana White has said he'll then have give one up. McGregor doesn't plan on following that script. read news >>