Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conference
Alistair Overeem will sit out the next nine months after a failed drug test, but his fate with the UFC is still up in the air.

On Tuesday, Overeem appeared before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer to the charges of an elevated testosterone test that was return after a drug screening in late March following the UFC 146 pre-fight press conference.

Ultimately, the commission decided to deny Overeem a license and the resulting penalty was 9-months before he could re-apply for a fight license in Nevada, and also agree not to fight in another state or province while under the suspension.

UFC President Dana White was out of the country when the Overeem verdict was handed down, but on Wednesday he appeared on the Jim Rome Show where he found out about the punishment literally on air.

“I wasn’t very optimistic about his chances. I didn’t think things were going to turn out very well for him, as expected. 9 months? 9 months isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought he’d get a year, easily a year,” said White with some surprise.

Overeem’s claim on Tuesday was that a doctor had administered a shot with anti-inflammatory drugs, but the cocktail also contained testosterone that resulted in the elevated levels during the test.

Regardless of what was injected into Overeem’s body, White says that the UFC heavyweight should have disclosed it to the commission no matter what was inside.

“Whatever medicine you’re on you’re supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test,” said White.

“I’m not a fan, I’m not a fan at all. You’re not going to hear me defending Alistair Overeem, believe me.”

Now with Overeem on the shelf for the next nine months, will he soon also be a free agent?

“I don’t know we’ll see what happens,” White said about possibly releasing Overeem. “He went before the commission, the commission gave him nine months. I’m sure he’s going to have to go in and test again.

“Before he went in there he sat down at a lunch with me and my partner, looked us in the face and said ‘I’m the most tested athlete in all of sports, they can test me whenever they want to’. He flew in for the press conference, they tested him, and now he’s on a 9 month suspension, claiming he was on anti-inflammatories which he should have told them about before they tested.”

The heart of the matter for White comes down to the fact that he believes Overeem lied to him, and that’s something that is not easily forgiven.

“I do, yeah, I know he lied to me,” said White. “I don’t like it.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Khalil Rountree vs. newcomer Tyson Pedro added to UFC Fight Night 101 in Australia

This month’s UFC Fight Night 101 lineup has a late addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

After chair near-incident, Dana White admits Conor McGregor gets special treatment – for good reason

The pre-fight news conference for UFC 205 delivered another memorable Conor McGregor moment for his career highlight reel: That time he picked up a metal folding chair and was ready to drop it on opp read news >>

Dana White Stumped for Donald Trump; Will the Next President Show at UFC 205? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stumped for now-President-Elect Donald Trump, but will the next U.S. president return the favor? read news >>

UFC boss Dana White: 'I would never take the risk of headlining a show with Jon Jones again'

UFC President Dana White appears to have lost faith in former UFC champion Jon Jones following his one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Association (USADA) for a failed drug test prior to UF read news >>

Dana White says Kelvin Gastelum done at 170 after missing weight for UFC 205

Kelvin Gastelum’s time as a welterweight is apparently over for good after he missed weight today for the third time in his UFC career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: Kelvin Gastelum Will Never Again Fight at 170 | MMAWeekly.com

After blowing his UFC 205 weight cut, Kelvin Gastelum is never again going to get the opportunity to try and fight at welterweight in the Octagon. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Would Have Lost 'Millions of Dollars' for Throwing Chair | MMAWeekly.com

Pre-fight mayhem has become the norm for fight cards featuring UFC champion Conor McGregor, and things nearly got out of control on Thursday. read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Ronda Rousey Shrugs Off Dana White After Amanda Nunes Face-off | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey made a surprise appearance at the UFC 205 weigh-in, but things didn't go all that smoothly when Dana White tried to get her to talk. read news >>