Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conference
Alistair Overeem will sit out the next nine months after a failed drug test, but his fate with the UFC is still up in the air.

On Tuesday, Overeem appeared before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer to the charges of an elevated testosterone test that was return after a drug screening in late March following the UFC 146 pre-fight press conference.

Ultimately, the commission decided to deny Overeem a license and the resulting penalty was 9-months before he could re-apply for a fight license in Nevada, and also agree not to fight in another state or province while under the suspension.

UFC President Dana White was out of the country when the Overeem verdict was handed down, but on Wednesday he appeared on the Jim Rome Show where he found out about the punishment literally on air.

“I wasn’t very optimistic about his chances. I didn’t think things were going to turn out very well for him, as expected. 9 months? 9 months isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought he’d get a year, easily a year,” said White with some surprise.

Overeem’s claim on Tuesday was that a doctor had administered a shot with anti-inflammatory drugs, but the cocktail also contained testosterone that resulted in the elevated levels during the test.

Regardless of what was injected into Overeem’s body, White says that the UFC heavyweight should have disclosed it to the commission no matter what was inside.

“Whatever medicine you’re on you’re supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test,” said White.

“I’m not a fan, I’m not a fan at all. You’re not going to hear me defending Alistair Overeem, believe me.”

Now with Overeem on the shelf for the next nine months, will he soon also be a free agent?

“I don’t know we’ll see what happens,” White said about possibly releasing Overeem. “He went before the commission, the commission gave him nine months. I’m sure he’s going to have to go in and test again.

“Before he went in there he sat down at a lunch with me and my partner, looked us in the face and said ‘I’m the most tested athlete in all of sports, they can test me whenever they want to’. He flew in for the press conference, they tested him, and now he’s on a 9 month suspension, claiming he was on anti-inflammatories which he should have told them about before they tested.”

The heart of the matter for White comes down to the fact that he believes Overeem lied to him, and that’s something that is not easily forgiven.

“I do, yeah, I know he lied to me,” said White. “I don’t like it.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Alistair Overeem calls out Junior dos Santos, tells UFC President Dana White to 'make it happen'

He even included that little fist emoji, so we know he's serious this time. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem, fresh off a "Big Country" beatdown in Dallas, read news >>

Dana White blows up Josh Koscheck's phone after new Bellator MMA fighter bashes UFC/Reebok deal

"Kos" is suddenly a person of significant interest ... It's no secret that former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight title contender, Josh Koscheck, feels he left the promotion at the read news >>

Nine months after run-in, UFC 189’s Conor Mcgregor and Chad Mendes still rivals

Conor McGregor and Chad Mendes have picked up right where they left off nine months ago.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC President Dana White gushes over 'phenomenal' CM Punk: 'The guy is an absolute stud'

Guys, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White just legitimized former pro wrestler Phil Brooks, who goes by the street name "CM Punk." Not only that, he called the outspoken mixed m read news >>

Despite loss of Aldo vs McGregor, Dana White expects record-setting $7M gate for UFC 189

UFC 189 might have lost it's big headliner, but will still be the most profitable live event on US soil in promotion history, according to the UFC president. When it comes to promoting and marketing read news >>

WSOF 22 loses flyweight title fight, adds Jimmy Spicuzza vs. Islam Mamedov

Next month’s WSOF 22 event has lost a title fight and gained a new main-card bout.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, WSOF read news >>

Dana White warns Yoel Romero: 'America doesn't want to hear your thoughts on Jesus'

Top middleweight contender Yoel Romero momentarily found himself in hot water after allegedly making an anti-gay remark following his victory over Lyoto Machida at last weekend's (Sat., June 27, 2015 read news >>

Dana White impressed with CM Punk's progress; 'he looks phenomenal'

UFC president Dana White sings the praises of former WWE star, CM Punk. It's been seven months since the UFC signed former WWE livewire CM Punk, and he's still yet to make his Octagon debut. Punk -- read news >>

VIDEO: Dana White Announces Chad Mendes vs. Conor McGregor for UFC 189

Check out the official announcement from UFC president Dana White, when he revealed that Chad Mendes would be fighting Conor McGregor next week. read news >>

Dana White downplays negativity from 'awesome' UFC-Reebok deal: 'This sport is like a hair salon'

UFC President Dana White gave his thoughts on Tuesday's Reebok "Fight Kit" unveiling and said "everything about it is positive." NEW YORK--History was made on Tuesday morning (June 30, 2015) with the read news >>