Dana White Says Vitor Belfort is Next In Line to Face Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva Winner


36-Vitor-Belfort-UFC126w_5168-478x270A rematch between middleweight champion Chris Weidman and former titleholder Anderson Silva headlines this weekend’s UFC 168 fight card in Las Vegas, and a No. 1 contender waits to face the winner.

During Thursday’s UFC 168 pre-fight press conference at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, UFC president Dana White said Vitor Belfort is next in line.

“Yeah, I think Vitor has earned the right to face whoever the winner is,” said White. “Vitor has been out there fighting, taking on all comers. Yeah, he’s next in line; no doubt about it.”

Belfort (24-10) has had a stellar 2013 and is certainly a candidate for Fighter of the Year. In January, he knocked out Michael Bisping in the second round with a head kick and follow-up punches. In May, he logged another highlight reel knockout over former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold. On Nov. 9, Belfort became the first fighter to knock out former two-division Pride champion Dan Henderson.

The Weidman vs. Silva rematch is expected to be the organization’s biggest pay-per-view event of the year, and a trilogy could be even bigger. That possibility is the one thing that could interfere with Belfort receiving the next shot at the middleweight crown.

“Anything’s possible. I would never say no, but if they go in and it’s a decisive win like the last fight was, Vitor is next,” said White following the press conference.

If Silva wins on Saturday, a bout with Belfort will be a rematch. The two met at UFC 126 in February 2011. Silva knocked Belfort out in the opening round after landing a front kick to his face. It was the first time Belfort had been rendered unconscious in his 17-year fighting career.

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 22 days ago
  • 88 views

UFC President Dana White revealed that Anderson Silva is “chomping at the bit” to return to the octagon and that Nick Diaz could potentially fight for a title with a win over the division’s former ki read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 43 views

Chris Weidman's busy defending his title. Anderson Silva's busy preparing for his comeback. Vitor Belfort's busy brushing off his critics. Luke Rockhold's busy vying to replace Belfort as one of his read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 76 views

Too much respect for Chris Weidman? Or too little for Vitor Belfort? Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Vitor Belfort will challenge reigning 185-pound titleholder Chris read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 78 views

Vitor Belfort discusses getting licensed to fight at UFC 181 fight against Chris Weidman. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 110 views

Appearing on ESPN's SportsCenter, UFC president Dana White officially announced the anticipated bout between former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former Strikeforce welterweight champi read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 200 views

Nick Diaz has not won a mixed martial arts (MMA) match since Oct. 2011, when he beat B.J. Penn from pillar to post en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 137. Back-to-back losses since then, as read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 93 views

Wednesday’s Nevada Athletic Commission hearing saw Vitor Belfort receive a conditional license to fight in Las Vegas. The UFC wasted no time booking his next bout. read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 359 views

Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Luke Rockhold believes Vitor Belfort will never make it to his UFC 181 title fight against Chris Weidman, because "The Phenom's" frail read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 170 views

Vitor Belfort is now T.N.T. -- he's dynamite. He'll win the fight, WATCH HIM EXPLODE. Vitor Belfort was granted a conditional license to compete in Las Vegas, Nevada, last week during a successful he read news >>