Nate Diaz appears to have solidified his position as No. 1 contender to the UFC lightweight title.

UFC President Dana White announced Saturday following UFC on Fox 3 that Diaz (Pictured, file photo) will next face the winner of the Benson Henderson-Frankie Edgar championship rematch expected to take place in August or September. White broke the news after Diaz’s masterful headlining performance against Jim Miller at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

The first moments of the main event were competitive, as Miller landed leg kicks and closed the distance, attacking with elbows and knees from the clinch. Diaz was unfazed by the New Jersey native’s early offense and began to find a home for his jab as the round wore on, eventually attacking with a sharp one-two which briefly dropped Miller to the canvas.

“I never know how the fight is going to go. I just train hard and try to prepare for everything. I expect the worst,” Diaz told Fox Sports after the bout. “I put the work in, man. I’ve got the best team in the world, so I just went out there and fought how I trained.”

The highly regarded Miller managed little offense in the second frame, as Diaz kept the hometown favorite on the end of his massive reach. When Miller was able to close the distance, Diaz attacked effectively from the clinch.

“Nate controlled the fight from bell to bell,” Miller said at the post-fight press conference. “He controlled the momentum and never let me get any significant shots in there. He fought a beautiful fight and had my number.”

As Miller shot for a takedown in the bout’s final sequence, Diaz quickly secured his opponent’s neck and locked up a one-handed guillotine choke. The Cesar Gracie pupil managed to adjust his grip, roll the AMA Fight Club representative onto his back and force Miller to submit for the first time in his career.

“He kind of grabbed on me a little bit, and I just got [the guillotine] in there. [How I did it] is top secret,” said Diaz. “He’s tough, and it was [scheduled for] five rounds. It was going to be him or me, so I’m glad it went the way it did. I guess I got lucky. I guess it was my time to shine.”

As for his impending title shot, Diaz is eager to take some time off and then challenge for the gold.

“I would like to get Ben Henderson. Let’s speed up the process a little bit and make that title fight happen.” said Diaz. “I don’t care what happens to me, man. I just need a break. I want to sit down for a minute. I’ll be back training tomorrow, and I’ll be ready to fight next week. But when the fight [is over], after I trained for three months, I’m f---ing burned out. I’ve been going hard for the last seven years.

“I think I [might] slow things down right now and kind of take a little break. I’m not saying I’m going to wait out some long, drawn-out s---; I’ll fight anybody, whenever. But maybe I need a little sit-back session right now. I’m going to talk to my people and let them talk about it. I’m just going to wait it out and see what happens.”

Dana White warns Yoel Romero: 'America doesn't want to hear your thoughts on Jesus'

Top middleweight contender Yoel Romero momentarily found himself in hot water after allegedly making an anti-gay remark following his victory over Lyoto Machida at last weekend's (Sat., June 27, 2015 read news >>

Dana White impressed with CM Punk's progress; 'he looks phenomenal'

UFC president Dana White sings the praises of former WWE star, CM Punk. It's been seven months since the UFC signed former WWE livewire CM Punk, and he's still yet to make his Octagon debut. Punk -- read news >>

VIDEO: Dana White Announces Chad Mendes vs. Conor McGregor for UFC 189

Check out the official announcement from UFC president Dana White, when he revealed that Chad Mendes would be fighting Conor McGregor next week. read news >>

Conor McGregor's coach wasn't too interested in Nate Diaz as potential opponent

Nate Diaz was very much on the table as a potential opponent for Conor McGregor at UFC 189. But McGregor's coach wasn't too into the idea. When news hit last week that Jose Aldo was injured and might read news >>

Dana White downplays negativity from 'awesome' UFC-Reebok deal: 'This sport is like a hair salon'

UFC President Dana White gave his thoughts on Tuesday's Reebok "Fight Kit" unveiling and said "everything about it is positive." NEW YORK--History was made on Tuesday morning (June 30, 2015) with the read news >>

Dana White on Jose Aldo's withdrawal: 'We spent a lot of money promoting that fight, it's disappointing'

A disappointed Dana White discusses Jose Aldo's removal from UFC 189. Fears of Jose Aldo's withdrawal from UFC 189 have come to life as it was announced yesterday that the featherweight champ will no read news >>

'Disappointed' Dana White explains reason Conor McGregor vs Chad Mendes is for interim belt: 'Jose Aldo has pulled out o

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, flanked by his 145-pound Golden Goose, Conor McGregor, were featured on ESPN earlier this evening to announce that Featherweight champion, J read news >>

Dana White to Yoel Romero: 'America Doesn't Want to Hear Your Thoughts on Jesus'

In the Bill of Dana White, there must be a separation of church and fighting. The UFC President spoke with MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani at the unveiling of the new Reebok uniforms about Yoel Romero’s read news >>

Dana White Says Jose Aldo Will Be Fighting Conor McGregor (Video)

UFC president Dana White talks about the unveiling of the UFC Fight Kits by Reebok, whether or not Jose Aldo will be fighting at UFC 189, and Yoel Romero's comments. read news >>

Dana White on Reebok roll-out: 'Everybody is happy with this'

To hear the UFC brass tell it, everybody is head over heels with the new Reebok UFC fight wear. read news >>