Nate Diaz appears to have solidified his position as No. 1 contender to the UFC lightweight title.

UFC President Dana White announced Saturday following UFC on Fox 3 that Diaz (Pictured, file photo) will next face the winner of the Benson Henderson-Frankie Edgar championship rematch expected to take place in August or September. White broke the news after Diaz’s masterful headlining performance against Jim Miller at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

The first moments of the main event were competitive, as Miller landed leg kicks and closed the distance, attacking with elbows and knees from the clinch. Diaz was unfazed by the New Jersey native’s early offense and began to find a home for his jab as the round wore on, eventually attacking with a sharp one-two which briefly dropped Miller to the canvas.

“I never know how the fight is going to go. I just train hard and try to prepare for everything. I expect the worst,” Diaz told Fox Sports after the bout. “I put the work in, man. I’ve got the best team in the world, so I just went out there and fought how I trained.”

The highly regarded Miller managed little offense in the second frame, as Diaz kept the hometown favorite on the end of his massive reach. When Miller was able to close the distance, Diaz attacked effectively from the clinch.

“Nate controlled the fight from bell to bell,” Miller said at the post-fight press conference. “He controlled the momentum and never let me get any significant shots in there. He fought a beautiful fight and had my number.”

As Miller shot for a takedown in the bout’s final sequence, Diaz quickly secured his opponent’s neck and locked up a one-handed guillotine choke. The Cesar Gracie pupil managed to adjust his grip, roll the AMA Fight Club representative onto his back and force Miller to submit for the first time in his career.

“He kind of grabbed on me a little bit, and I just got [the guillotine] in there. [How I did it] is top secret,” said Diaz. “He’s tough, and it was [scheduled for] five rounds. It was going to be him or me, so I’m glad it went the way it did. I guess I got lucky. I guess it was my time to shine.”

As for his impending title shot, Diaz is eager to take some time off and then challenge for the gold.

“I would like to get Ben Henderson. Let’s speed up the process a little bit and make that title fight happen.” said Diaz. “I don’t care what happens to me, man. I just need a break. I want to sit down for a minute. I’ll be back training tomorrow, and I’ll be ready to fight next week. But when the fight [is over], after I trained for three months, I’m f---ing burned out. I’ve been going hard for the last seven years.

“I think I [might] slow things down right now and kind of take a little break. I’m not saying I’m going to wait out some long, drawn-out s---; I’ll fight anybody, whenever. But maybe I need a little sit-back session right now. I’m going to talk to my people and let them talk about it. I’m just going to wait it out and see what happens.”

Dana White responds to Aldo's rematch request: 'It's tough to make that fight again'

It appears Jose Aldo might be sitting on the sidelines for a very long time if he’s not willing to stray from his demand of a title shot or Conor McGregor rematch for his next contest.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Dana White Says ‘Lookin’ for a Fight’ All In A Day’s Work

When UFC President Dana White discusses the success of his series “Dana White: Lookin’ for a Fight,” he makes it sound so easy. read news >>

Dana White Discusses Floyd Mayweather After Conor McGregor Racism Comments

Retired, undefeated boxer Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. has expressed his displeasure with top UFC fighter Conor McGregor in recent weeks, but UFC president Dana White believes the 49-0 fighter is off read news >>

Video: Dana White, Matt Serra on 'guys show' reality series 'Lookin' for a Fight'

NEW YORK – It’s been years since Dana White fancied himself a talent scout. But now he has found a way to get back to the base level of MMA – and have a little fun with his pals along the way.Filed u read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 Results: Anthony Johnson Finishes Ryan Bader, Awaits 205-Pound Title Shot

Anthony Johnson earned a first-round finish of Ryan Bader in the main event at UFC on FOX 18 in Newark, N.J. on Saturday night. read news >>

After Defeating Sage Northcutt, Bryan Barberena Appears to Mock 'Sage Flip'

Last fall, we were introduced to the Sage Flip. Saturday night, we met the Barberena Barrel Roll. After upsetting Sage Northcutt with a second-round submission Saturday night on the main card of UFC read news >>

Dana White: 'Great guy' Benson Henderson got 'right deal for him' in move to Bellator

When Benson Henderson announced his new contract with Bellator earlier today, the UFC lost one of the most successful fighters to enter the octagon in several years. Dana White isn’t upset, however, read news >>

Video: Watch Episode 2 of 'Dana White: Lookin' for a Fight'

After a successful launch that has seen UFC officials bring Sage Northcutt and Randy Brown to the octagon, not to mention this weekend’s debut of Mickey Gall, the second episode of “Dana White: Looki read news >>

Dana White Lookin’ For a Fight, Episode 2: Matt Serra Schools Nick ‘The Tooth’ in Jiu-Jitsu

Dana White, Matt Serra and Nick "The Tooth" endure sub-freezing temperatures in Alaska in the second episode of Dana White: Looking' for a Fight. read news >>

Dana White: Potential Holm-Rousey rematch would be 'biggest fight ever in UFC history'

UFC President Dana White uses hyperbole to the point where few of his statements can be taken seriously. He might be right about this one, though.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>