ronaldo-jacare-souza-17.jpgLAS VEGAS – After Ronaldo Souza‘s impressive UFC debut this past week in Brazil, questions quickly turned to who might be next for the Brazilian middleweight.

And now we apparently have the answer.

Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will be booked for a fight against onetime middleweight title challenger Yushin Okami (29-7 MMA, 13-4 UFC). UFC President Dana White revealed the planned booking on Thursday to reporters during a media event for UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

White, however, said the fight has not been officially signed, and the UFC isn’t yet ready to announce a date for it.

Souza came into the UFC after the Strikeforce merger on a three-fight win streak following a middleweight title fight loss to Luke Rockhold in September 2011 in which he lost his belt.

But after that, he went on a tear with a submission win over Bristol Marunde, a first-round knockout of Derek Brunson and a first-round submission of Ed Herman in Strikeforce’s promotional finale.

And his impressive run continued this past Saturday in Brazil at UFC on FX 8, where he submitted Chris Camozzi in the first round to win “Submission of the Night” honors and $50,000 in his UFC debut.

“Jacare” now has won eight of his past nine fights, with just the Rockhold unanimous decision setback working against him. He won the Strikeforce middleweight title in August 2010 against Tim Kennedy, then defended it with a submission of Robbie Lawler.

Okami is on a three-fight win streak after back-to-back losses that started with his middleweight title setback against Anderson Silva at UFC 134. On the heels of that fight, he beat up Tim Boetsch for two rounds, but then was caught by him quickly in the third at UFC 144 and lost by TKO.

He rebounded, though, with a TKO of Buddy Roberts at UFC 150 in August 2012, then won a rematch with Alan Belcher and took a split decision from Hector Lombard this past March in Japan.

A win over Souza would give him four straight – and certainly would have him back in the conversation for another crack at the middleweight title. Okami, though, hasn’t had a streak of longer than three fights since a six-fight run in 2006-07 that was snapped by Rick Franklin at UFC 72. Since then, he’s had three three-fight streaks.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Dec. 20: Wineland back to winning ways

  • 28 days ago
  • 6 views

This past weekend saw both UFC and Bellator host prospect-filled events, but one wily veteran was impressive enough to make a move in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings.Filed under: Bellator read news >>

Dana White Confirms UFC 208 Headliner, Again Shoots Down McGregor vs. Mayweather (video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 646 views

UFC president Dana White joined Good Day New York on Thursday, confirming the headliner for UFC 208 in Brooklyn. read news >>

'Cyborg' refusal to take 145-pound UFC fights 'not so strange now,' says Dana White

  • 26 days ago
  • 164 views

The UFC’s decision to leave Invicta FC champ Cristiane Justino out of the promotion’s first title fight at the newly-created women’s 145-pound division raised some eyebrows. UFC boss Dana White think read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor could face Khabib Nurmagomedov in first lightweight title defense

  • 26 days ago
  • 59 views

With UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor set to take some time away from the octagon to begin 2017, there hasn’t been much talk of who he could fight next following his title-winning knockout of read news >>

Is Conor McGregor the UFC's Top Pound-for-Pound Fighter? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 21 views

Dana White recently said that Conor McGregor is the top pound-for-pound fighter. Do you agree? read news >>

UFC 207's Neil Magny says past mistakes have him prepared for ex-champ Johny Hendricks

  • 25 days ago
  • 15 views

DENVER – Neil Magny has been in a position to need to rebound before, and he came through with flying colors. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White not expecting another comeback by ex-UFC champ Brock Lesnar

  • 22 days ago
  • 13 views

Never say never, but it appears Brock Lesnar’s career as a UFC fighter could be over once and for all.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Brock Lesnar Back to the UFC? Dana White Doesn't Think So | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 32 views

UFC president Dana White won't ever slam the door, but said that he doesn't think Brock Lesnar will return to MMA following his suspension. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Brock Lesnar's Future with UFC

  • 22 days ago
  • 49 views

The UFC suspended Brock Lesnar for one year and fined him $250,000 after it was revealed he failed two drug tests prior to his win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200. It appears his time in the Octagon may be read news >>

Dana White Confirms UFC 207 is Mike Goldberg's Final Broadcast | MMAWeekly.com

  • 20 days ago
  • 20 views

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday confirmed that Friday's UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey would be longtime commentator Mike Goldberg's final broadcast. read news >>