http://mmajunkie.com Dana White
Despite a battle in the courts and a less-than-amicable split in October, Dana White isn’t giving up on Randy Couture and said he recently offered the estranged UFC heavyweight champion a fight with interim champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

White made the comments in Saturday’s post-UFC 82 press conference, which is now widely available on the web. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has further news from the conference available in the UFC 82 archives.

Back in October, Couture resigned from the organization over what he perceived to be a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay, and the UFC’s inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko. White has continually asserted that it was, in fact, a retirement because “you can’t resign in the middle of a contract.”

Regardless, White said that the UFC hall-of-famer isn’t being ignored and has been offered fights since the resignation/retirement. Couture, meanwhile, has said he’s willing to come back — but only if the UFC can arrange a fight with Emelianenko, who signed a non-exclusive deal with the recently restructured M-1 Global organization in late 2007.

White, though, has other intentions and wants Couture to fight Nogueira, who won the UFC’s interim title by defeating Tim Sylvia in February at UFC 81.

“We offered (Couture) the fight last week, and we’re waiting to hear back from him,” White said.

He didn’t mention a possible date or venue for the event.

White also confirmed that he had offered Couture the fight with Nogueira once before. However, Nogueira wasn’t the interim champ at the time, and he hopes that may be enough to sway Couture into returning to the ring.

The 44-year old Couture signed a four-fight, 18-month contract with the UFC in January 2007. In addition to the fight contract, Couture had previously signed an employment contract with the organization. He resigned from the UFC in October 2007, and as part of the deal, he can’t work for a rival promotion for a full year from that date.

Couture has already signed a deal with HDNet Fights that kicks into effect when his deal with the UFC retires, according to Adam Swift of Sherdog.com. Mark Cuban, the owner of HDNet Fights, filed suit against the UFC in Dallas district court last month to get a declaratory judgment concerning the contractual status of Couture.

Additionally, late last week, the UFC successfully acquired a preliminary injunction in Las Vegas District Court halting Couture’s involvement in this weekend’s IFL event. The UFC contended that it would violate a non-compete clause in Couture’s contract.

An Xtreme Couture team comprised of fighters who train at his gym were instead lead by Xtreme Couture coach Sean Tompkins and fought under the “Team Tompkins” name.

For more on the series of events, check out the Randy Couture archives here on MMAjunkie.com.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

VIDEO: If Nate Diaz Isn’t Fighting Conor McGregor at UFC 200, He’s Going on Vacation

  • 13 days ago
  • 53 views

UFC president Dana White wanted to keep Nate Diaz on the UFC 200 fight card after he ruled out Conor McGregor's participation, but it doesn't appear that White and Diaz are on the same page. Diaz say read news >>

Dana White Discusses Conor McGregor Retirement Tweet, Notorious' Future, UFC 200

  • 16 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC president Dana White believes featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn’t retiring and will fight again for the organisation in the next year, and he said the decision to pull the Irishman from t read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor calls me now, the fight with Nate Diaz is back on

  • 16 days ago
  • 45 views

UFC President Dana White says UFC featherweight champ Conor McGregor can still change his mind and fight at UFC 200. But there’s one thing White isn’t budging on: McGregor needs to promote.Filed unde read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor is Retired, Then Aldo vs. Edgar is for the Belt

  • 16 days ago
  • 44 views

UFC president Dana White doesn't think that featherweight champion Conor McGregor is truly retired, but he prepared to move on and crown a new champion. read news >>

Unlike UFC 151, White says Jon Jones overruled coaches to stay on UFC 197

  • 15 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC President Dana White doesn’t seem entirely positive Jon Jones would have fought replacement opponent Ovince Saint Preux on Saturday at UFC 197 if his coaching staff had a final say in the matter. read news >>

If Conor McGregor retires, UFC 200’s Aldo vs. Edgar will be for featherweight belt

  • 15 days ago
  • 20 views

UFC President Dana White thinks UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor is going to fight again. But if he doesn’t, the event he left behind is going to get a little bit more interesting.Filed unde read news >>

Dana White Video: Why Conor McGregor was Pulled and How He Could Return to UFC 200

  • 15 days ago
  • 269 views

Dana White explained why Conor McGregor got pulled from UFC 200, and also discussed whether or not he could get back on the fight card. read news >>

Dana White: ‘I Didn’t Want Nate Diaz to Get Screwed Up in This Whole Deal’

  • 15 days ago
  • 193 views

When Conor McGregor was pulled from the UFC 200 fight card, Nate Diaz was left without an opponent. Dana White hopes to rectify that. read news >>

Conor McGregor's Window for UFC 200 U-Turn Closing Fast, Says Dana White

  • 15 days ago
  • 279 views

UFC boss Dana White has backtracked on suggestions Conor McGregor could still feature at UFC 200, saying the chances of him being involved are now very slim. As documented by Andre Vergara of Fox Spo read news >>

Conor McGregor 'not retired' and 'still ready for UFC 200,' but demands lighter PR schedule

  • 15 days ago
  • 60 views

Conor McGregor isn’t retired and is still willing to fight at UFC 200, but the UFC featherweight champion is going to need a lighter publicity and promotional schedule to do it, he today announced.Fi read news >>