Dana White: Randy Couture Offered Fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

• submit to reddit

http://mmajunkie.com Dana White
Despite a battle in the courts and a less-than-amicable split in October, Dana White isn’t giving up on Randy Couture and said he recently offered the estranged UFC heavyweight champion a fight with interim champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

White made the comments in Saturday’s post-UFC 82 press conference, which is now widely available on the web. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has further news from the conference available in the UFC 82 archives.

Back in October, Couture resigned from the organization over what he perceived to be a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay, and the UFC’s inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko. White has continually asserted that it was, in fact, a retirement because “you can’t resign in the middle of a contract.”

Regardless, White said that the UFC hall-of-famer isn’t being ignored and has been offered fights since the resignation/retirement. Couture, meanwhile, has said he’s willing to come back — but only if the UFC can arrange a fight with Emelianenko, who signed a non-exclusive deal with the recently restructured M-1 Global organization in late 2007.

White, though, has other intentions and wants Couture to fight Nogueira, who won the UFC’s interim title by defeating Tim Sylvia in February at UFC 81.

“We offered (Couture) the fight last week, and we’re waiting to hear back from him,” White said.

He didn’t mention a possible date or venue for the event.

White also confirmed that he had offered Couture the fight with Nogueira once before. However, Nogueira wasn’t the interim champ at the time, and he hopes that may be enough to sway Couture into returning to the ring.

The 44-year old Couture signed a four-fight, 18-month contract with the UFC in January 2007. In addition to the fight contract, Couture had previously signed an employment contract with the organization. He resigned from the UFC in October 2007, and as part of the deal, he can’t work for a rival promotion for a full year from that date.

Couture has already signed a deal with HDNet Fights that kicks into effect when his deal with the UFC retires, according to Adam Swift of Sherdog.com. Mark Cuban, the owner of HDNet Fights, filed suit against the UFC in Dallas district court last month to get a declaratory judgment concerning the contractual status of Couture.

Additionally, late last week, the UFC successfully acquired a preliminary injunction in Las Vegas District Court halting Couture’s involvement in this weekend’s IFL event. The UFC contended that it would violate a non-compete clause in Couture’s contract.

An Xtreme Couture team comprised of fighters who train at his gym were instead lead by Xtreme Couture coach Sean Tompkins and fought under the “Team Tompkins” name.

For more on the series of events, check out the Randy Couture archives here on MMAjunkie.com.

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is on the shelf again, and he won’t think about fighting before recovering from another right knee surgery. "Minotauro" tore his ACL days before fighting Roy Nelson at the main event of UFC Fight Night 39 in Abu Dhabi in April, and he’s not cleared to train yet. "I had surgery four weeks ago, and I’m doing fine now," Nogueira told MMAFighting.com. "ACL surgery takes at least five months to return to fighting. I’m doing physical therapy now. I know the l read news >>

Down, but not out. "I had surgery four weeks ago, and I'm doing fine now. ACL surgery takes at least five months to return to fighting. I'm doing physical therapy now. I know the limits of my body. I won't get myself injured again. I can do other things. I ride bikes and work out every day, but I can't train yet. I still have what it takes. I will return next year. I have plans to be in shape and fight again, for sure. I want to recover first, and then I will see how I feel." Ultimate Fighting C read news >>

LAS VEGAS - UFC president Dana White held his annual Fan Expo question-and-answer session with the fans on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As usual, the event was a mix of the serious, the less serious, and the absurd, ranging from detailed questions about the company's business to painful-to-watch attempts at business pitches. One thing the UFC boss did indicate, however, is that he could very well by on the same wavelength as the fans who want the much-discussed potential Ander read news >>

Dana White alluded to a deal in Las Vegas that will make everyone understand why Jon Jones' rematch with Alexander Gustafsson is in Las Vegas. The UFC boss also said that Vegas wanted the fight more than Sweden and Toronto. read news >>

One of the highlights of any UFC fight week is the media scrum with Dana White after an event. UFC 175 was no exception. These scrums often provide little nuggets of information that pique fans' interest. Among the many topics discussed after a Ronda Rousey fight is almost always Cris “Cyborg” Justino. However, White offered a bit more information during this particular scrum. White began by asking the surrounding media who would like him to sign Cyborg. All but one media member raised their han read news >>

It could be ... but maybe not. Now that Chris Weidman has disposed of his latest challenger, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida (watch the highlights here) in the main event of UFC 175 last night (July 5, 2014) in Las Vegas, Nevada, it's time to look ahead to his next middleweight title defense. Paging Vitor Belfort: Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfort (@vitorbelfort) July 6, 2014 Bel read news >>

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s injury won’t keep him from a rematch with No. 1 contender Chad Mendes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The all-female strawweight cast of The Ultimate Fighter 20 hasn't been in Las Vegas more than a week and there are already reports of possible disciplinary action being dolled out. "I'm very excited," UFC president Dana White said Sunday evening. "It's like nothing we've ever done before. We have the top 16 women in the world in that weight class and it will crown a champion at the end of the season. It's different, it's exciting, it's new. The women go after it. The first day when they get in t read news >>

Dana White spoke about the All-Female Strawweight cast of TUF 20, saying that a fight broke out during the first day in the house. TUF 20 will have 16 female strawweights set to battle to be the inaugural UFC champion at 115 lbs, which pretty much guarantees the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter to be more interesting than the past iterations. That's not even noting that it will be coached by top lightweights Anthony Pettis and Gilbert Melendez. A week into filming, and it looks like there read news >>