Dana White: Nick Diaz 'liked' offer to fight Hector Lombard next, but was 'never heard from again'


The more things change in UFC, the more they stay the same in the 209.

It seems like we're inching closer to Nick Diaz's eventual Octagon return.

The pride of Stockton, Calif., was recently present at UFC 171, heckling main event fighter -- and eventual Welterweight champion, Johny Hendricks -- seemingly having a good time.

However, Diaz is quite picky when it comes to his next bout because the former No. 1 title challenger doesn't want to come back for just any fight. Even though he would prefer at a shot at the welterweight gold, it does make his potential suitors a limited bunch.

Earlier today at a media junction in Los Angleles, Calif., company president Dana White revealed that Diaz was offered another fight -- a big one -- against former Bellator Middleweight kingpin Hector Lombard. The match up is solid, with both sluggers preferring to trade blows at the center of the Octagon.

It could be something special.

In fact, according to White, Diaz initially liked the idea ... then he never heard from him since (via UFC on FOX):

The former 170-pound UFC title challenger is currently on a two-fight losing streak, dropping title fights to Carlos Condit and Georges St-Pierre, respectively. His most recent stint with UFC has been disappointing, with a record (1-2) that doesn't necessarily dovetail with his lofty expectations.

Lombard would seemingly appeal to Diaz, if for nothing else because one of his main training partners and good friends over the years, Jake Shields, was recently cut by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) somewhat unsympathetically after losing to Lombard at UFC 171.

Then again, White was even less sympathetic when addressing comments made by Nick's brother, Nate Diaz, about his current salary.

Perhaps that's the reason he went ghost ... again.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 19 days ago
  • 12 views

UFC President Dana White said a potential welterweight fight between Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard is a go – if Woodley agrees. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 5 views

After quickly dispatching Dong Hyun Kim Aug. 23 in Macao, UFC welterweight Tyron Woodley made it clear earlier this week that he wanted to test himself against the gritty Matt Brown. Mending an injur read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 14 views

Hector Lombard has already agreed to a fight against fellow Top 10 welterweight Tyron Woodley, according to UFC President Dana White. read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 13 views

Since it "doesn't work for his brand," White must now look elsewhere for "Showeather." Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White has been trying to convince Tyron Woodley to fight fel read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 15 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 10 views

But he's only getting the free pass because "The Chosen One" did the company a solid for stepping up on short notice to take on Dong Hyun Kim at UFC Fight Night 48 last month after Lombard had to bow read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 1 views

Fans have wondered whether any of the talented 170lbers training at American Top Team would fight each other. The UFC head honcho says one of the highest-ranked members of the team has said 'no probl read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight contender Tyron Woodley recently called out Matt "The Immortal" Brown, but it appears the UFC has different plans for T-Wood. Speaking with UFC.com, UFC President Dana White revealed read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 22 views

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - UFC president Dana White was looking to book Hector Lombard vs. Tyron Woodley as the headliner for a December show in Australia. According to the UFC president, Lombard, the form read news >>