It looks like Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem will have to wait to dance another day.

Just a week ago, UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos had told UFC president Dana White that he wanted to face Overeem next instead of Cain Velasquez. The incumbent champion said he was tired of Overeem running his mouth, and that he was “a punk” and he wanted to silence him in the Octagon.

Overeem fired back in kind and gladly accepted the challenge, but the only problem is that he’s currently under suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission until late December.

White still seemed to like the idea of that fight taking place next, but whatever door was opened last week was closed with an emphatic thud on Saturday night.

The UFC president said after the UFC 150 post-fight press conference that they will match up Junior dos Santos against current top contender and former titleholder Cain Velasquez later this year. The proposed date for the fight is currently Dec. 29, but UFC officials have not stated any date is set in stone at this time for their year end show.

Velasquez earned the shot at dos Santos by defeating Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 146 in May. He lost the UFC heavyweight title to dos Santos last November when he was knocked out in the first round.

Now, one fight later, he’ll get the chance to rectify that result and try to reclaim the belt.

Overeem will serve out the rest of his sentence and undoubtedly come back near the top of the division, but the only thing he knows for sure is that he won’t be the next fighter in line to face Junior dos Santos.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Junior dos Santos says fight with Alistair Overeem would be 'interesting'

  • 18 days ago
  • 17 views

Recently asked if he would like to matched up with Alistair Overeem once again, former UFC heavyweight champion, Junior Dos Santos said he would be game if the UFC wants to book the bout. Junior dos read news >>

Javier Mendez: Cain Velasquez will give Fabricio Werdum a worse beating than Junior dos Santos

  • 3 days ago
  • 46 views

NEW YORK – It’s been an inauspicious start to "Fight Week" for AKA head coach/owner Javier Mendez. An insomniac, he had to show up in Manhattan on Wednesday on just an hour-and-a-half’s worth of slee read news >>

UFC 188: Cain Velasquez will smash Fabricio Werdum worse than he did Junior dos Santos

  • 2 days ago
  • 26 views

...and that's pretty bad. In 2012, Cain Velasquez put on a memorable -- or forgettable -- beating on Junior dos Santos at UFC 155 to reclaim the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight title read news >>

UFC 194 on Tap for Madison Square Garden in December?

  • a day ago
  • 0 views

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Thursday that his promotion is holding a December date for Madison Square Garden. Is UFC 194 headed to New York? read news >>

Dana White plans to talk to Josh Koscheck about retirement: I'm gonna try to push him in that direction

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC President Dana White revealed that he is inclined to push Josh Koscheck towards retirement, even though he has a “soft spot” for the TUF season 1 fighters. It was a mere three weeks ago that UFC read news >>

Dana White fires back at Wanderlei Silva’s slavery comments: ‘He did this to himself’

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Wanderlei Silva was banned from the sport of MMA after running away from an out-of-competition drug test in Nevada, and he wants nothing from the UFC. The former PRIDE champion post read news >>

Dana White: UFC calls Drew Dober-Leandro Silva result 'bullsh*t'

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Leandro Silva was attempting a guillotine, but Drew Dober was fine. Dober was in half guard and Silva was about to give up on the choke. That's when referee Eduardo Herdy stepped in to call the fight read news >>

Josh Koscheck non-committal about retirement, but Dana White will 'try to push him in that direction'

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

Josh Koscheck is open to continuing his MMA career despite five straight losses. UFC president Dana White would prefer he hang up the gloves. White said on FOX Sports 1's post-fight show Saturday nig read news >>

Josh Koscheck undecided on UFC future, plans to talk soon with Dana White

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

RIO DE JANEIRO – A fifth straight loss for Josh Koscheck will prompt a talk between the onetime UFC welterweight title challenger and UFC President Dana White.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>