georges-st-pierre-28.jpgNEW YORK – UFC President Dana White doesn’t mind if welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre doesn’t want to move weight classes for a superfight, but the boss said GSP better be ready for a pending matchup with top contender Johny Hendricks.

St-Pierre recently told the “The Joe Rogan Experience” that it’d be easier to move to lightweight, conceivably for a potential fight with champ Benson Henderson, than middleweight, where many fight fans have anticipated a possible showdown with titleholder Anderson Silva.

White, of course, recently has championed for a Silva vs. St-Pierre bout.

Of course, there’s also top welterweight contender Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC), who’s been chomping at the bit for his long-awaited title shot. When asked what would happen if St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) brushes off the Silva matchup and isn’t into the Hendricks airing, White suggested he should be.

“He’s going to have to get his head into it,” White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “That’s who he’s going to fight.

“If he doesn’t want to do a superfight, nobody’s going to pressure him to do a superfight. That’s up to him. But Johny Hendricks is next – and soon. He’s next and soon. Soon, soon. Maybe in August.”

White gave no other details for the fight, though he didn’t fully rule out the possibility it could be part of the debut UFC on FOX Sports 1 card in Boston on Aug. 17. However, with St-Pierre reigning as the UFC’s top pay-per-view draw, his future fights are likely to come with a $55 price tag, not on free TV.

Hendricks recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio that if St-Pierre does decide to dabble in other weight classes, he wants him to vacate the title so the division isn’t held up. White, though, previously stated that may not be a requirement.

“I want to fight GSP because I’m a competitor,” Hendricks said. “I want to fight the best guys in my weight class. But also, the belt is more important than GSP, and that’s really what I’m looking at.

“If he wants to go to 185, then by all means, go to 185, and fight Anderson Silva. Yes, it would be a great thing for our sport. But I want the belt. I’d like to fight GSP for it, but if that doesn’t happen, I’m not going to hang my head and say, ‘Oh man, I’m not going to be fighting that guy for the belt.’”

For the latest on UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 and other upcoming cards, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Georges St-Pierre)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White says Conor McGregor vs. Frankie Edgar 'made absolutely no sense'

  • 27 days ago
  • 123 views

UFC president Dana White explains why Chad Mendes was chosen over Frankie Edgar to fight Conor McGregor at UFC 189. When news broke of Jose Aldo's suspected rib fracture two weeks ago, MMA fans and f read news >>

Robbie Lawler: Ready to Defend

  • 27 days ago
  • 7 views

No one trash talks Robbie Lawler. Strange, but it’s hard to recall anyone trying to play pre-fight mind games with the UFC welterweight champion, a pretty impressive fact that Lawler is in his 15th y read news >>

Alistair Overeem calls out Junior dos Santos, tells UFC President Dana White to 'make it happen'

  • 27 days ago
  • 42 views

He even included that little fist emoji, so we know he's serious this time. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem, fresh off a "Big Country" beatdown in Dallas, read news >>

Dana White reveals that Jose Aldo would have ‘probably would've made close to $4 million’

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC President Dana White reveals that Jose Aldo was set to make close to $4 million at UFC 189. Prior to Jose Aldo's withdrawal from the highly anticipated UFC 189 event, it was clear that the feathe read news >>

Morning Report: Dana White says Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 27 days ago
  • 10 views

As if featherweight champion Jose Aldo couldn't feel any lower, apparently his absence at UFC 189 has only added to the appeal. At least that's the line UFC president Dana White is going with. Accord read news >>

Conor McGregor Bet Dana White $3 Million He’d KO Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 94 views

So confident is Conor McGregor that he bet his employers $3 million he'll knock out Chad Mendes at UFC 189. read news >>

Dana White: Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 39 views

The UFC president was a guest on The Russillo Show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday (July 7, 2015) and he disclosed just how much money Jose Aldo was set to earn at UFC 189. Jose Aldo may have withdrawn from read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor tried to bet me $3 million he would knockout Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 26 views

And as early as the second round, no less. You certainly can't accuse Conor McGregor of being short on confidence. That became evident after the smooth-talking Irishman tried to bet Ultimate Fighting read news >>

Dana White: UFC 189 passed U.S. gate record following McGregor-Mendes announcement

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

The sense of disappointment when Jose Aldo had to drop out of his scheduled UFC 189 main event against Conor McGregor due to a broken rib was widespread. But the idea this would be a deathblow proved read news >>

UFC President Dana White Says Conor McGregor Tried to Bet $3 Million on Himself

  • 28 days ago
  • 35 views

Conor McGregor is confident ahead of his UFC 189 matchup against Chad Mendes on Saturday, July 11. Confident to the tune of $3 million, in fact. According to UFC President Dana White, McGregor made a read news >>