Dana White Interested in Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort in Brazil


Dana White Interested in Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort in Brazil

While question marks remain on whether or not Vitor Belfort will get licensed for his next fight, UFC President Dana White is keen on him meeting champ Chris Weidman next: preferably in Brazil. 

White addressed the situation during a media scrum in Dublin yesterday, per MMA Fighting

We want to make that fight happen," White said. "That's the next fight. That fight should've already happened before the Machida. That's the fight we want to do and that's the fight that Chris Weidman wants. I love this kid calling out Vitor ... It doesn't have to take place in Nevada," White said of Weidman-Belfort. "That fight would be big in Brazil, too. I would do it Brazil. As long as the commission clears him, yeah. We'd want the okay from Nevada, and if Nevada was cool with it, I'd do it in Brazil.

Belfort, 37, is enjoying a three-fight win streak, all of the victories coming in 2013 via a head kick knockout. 

However, not everyone was willing to sing "The Phenom's" praises since all those fights took place in his home country of Brazil and he was using testosterone replacement therapy. 

The former UFC light heavyweight champion hasn't fought on American soil since August 2011 and has compiled a 4-1 record since then, with his sole defeat coming in a short-notice bout with 205-pound champ Jon Jones. 

Belfort was initially set to square off with Weidman at UFC 173 on Memorial Day weekend, but was pulled from the championship matchup shortly after the Nevada State Athletic Commission banned TRT, per FOX Sports.

Furthermore, Belfort failed a post-fight drug test in October 2006 for the anabolic steroid 4-Hydroxytestosterone and, through his own admission, stated he failed a random drug test in February for elevated levels of testosterone. 

Belfort was set to appear before the NSAC last month to get licensed for a scrap with Chael Sonnen at UFC 175, but that wasn't necessary since Sonnen was removed from the card after failing some drug tests of his own, per ESPN

Weidman (12-0) recently expressed an interest in fighting Belfort next after the best 12-month stretch of his career: defeating Anderson Silva (twice) and Lyoto Machida

All things considered, does Weidman vs. Belfort make the most sense for the next UFC middleweight championship fight?

John Heinis is a featured columnist for Bleacher Report. He is also the MMA editor for eDraft.com.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 8 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled UFC 181 title fight opposite Vitor Belfort: Belfort vs. Weidman moved to February, according to Vitor. Damn. — G read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort says that champion Chris Weidman is out of their December title fight after breaking his hand. Nothing like a dose of bad news to start off your week, read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 10 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 1 views

Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort won’t happen on Dec. 6 after all, but that won’t change Ronaldo Souza’s plans. "Jacare", who scored his fourth straight victory under the UFC banner with a third-round read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 2 views

Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort won’t go toe-to-toe at UFC 181. Scheduled to defend his UFC middleweight title on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas, Nevada, Weidman has suffered a hand injury and was forced out of read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 50 views

"The Phenom" lit a fire under Chris Weidman after questioning his recent injuries. Vitor Belfort recently brought into question the severity of Chris Weidman's injury that forced a delay in their muc read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 12 views

'Tis the reason for the season injury. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder Chris Weidman withdrew from his UFC 181 title fight against Vitor Belfort, which was scheduled for read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 4 views

Upcoming UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort is accusing champion Chris Weidman of milking and/or embellishing an injury in order to hold onto his belt through the holiday season. In an i read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 261 views

"The Phenom" blasted Weidman for hurting himself and delaying a title defense for the second time in a row. Vitor Belfort became unhappy about having to wait two more months to fight for the UFC Midd read news >>