Dan Henderson dropping back to middleweight, plans end-of-year return


Approaching 44 years of age, don't expect the TRT ban and a crushing loss stop Dan Henderson from continuing his career.

If we're being frank - Dan Henderson was completely demolished by Daniel Cormier at UFC 173. Coming off his 3rd round knockout of Mauricio Rua, Henderson fought Cormier in Vegas, sans TRT, having weighed in at 199 lbs the day before their fight, and was beaten pillar to post before the rear-naked choke in the 3rd round put him to sleep.

But this is Dan Henderson we're talking about, and he's not planning on calling it a career after that drubbing. According to Hendo's Muay Thai coach Daniel Woirin, who spoke to MMA Fighting earlier today, the 43-year-old will drop back down to middleweight for the first time since 2010. Henderson is targeting a return to the Octagon by the end of this year.

The last time Henderson made a UFC appearance at 185 lbs was memorably against Michael Bisping, who he famously knocked out at UFC 100 before leaving the promotion to sign with Strikeforce. Henderson unsuccessfully challenged Jake Shields for his MW belt and subsequently moved up to light heavyweight.

Obviously the next step is to find out who Henderson fights next. There's no point in giving him bottom-rung middleweights as it's a waste of the name value he has left, so if we focus squarely on the top 15 then Mark Munoz, Francis Carmont, and Costa Philippou are all potential suitable opposition. We'll see what the UFC does as far as matchmaking for Henderson as he nears the end of the line in his illustrious career.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • a day ago
  • 22 views

Unbeaten Daniel Cormier faced light heavyweight legend Dan Henderson at UFC 173. Watch the performance that earned him a shot at champion Jon Jones at UFC 182. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC middleweight Luke Barnatt has spent the past four or five months of his life living on a 35-foot yacht in San Diego. The president of a longtime sponsor told him he could live there. Filed under: read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 2 views

With news that UFC middleweight Vitor Belfort had passed the first of assumably several random drug tests, the No. 1 contender sounds happy to be moving forward without testosterone replacement thera read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 31 views

Paige VanZant says age has been her best friend and biggest enemy over the past year. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 3 views

As he prepares to challenge UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, Vitor Belfort says he's "stronger, lighter and faster" since he quit using TRT. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 0 views

The previously planned Feb. 28 UFC event in London is off, but the organizations plans to host one in London later in the year. read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC middleweight Number 4 contender, Luke Rockhold ready to step in for any of the four MW fighters on the UFC 184 card. UFC 184 might possibly be one of the biggest events of 2015...if it goes off a read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 50 views

Alan Belcher reveals he will likely move up to light-heavyweight when he makes his return to the cage next summer. When Alan Belcher decides to finally make his return to the octagon, he will have be read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 0 views

It’s taken seven years for things to come full circle for Anthony Hamilton. On a chilly Las Vegas night back in December of 2007, the future heavyweight decided to up the ante on his growing obsessio read news >>

Jump to: