Dan Henderson at StrikeforceOne of the more overlooked aspects of the UFC 151 cancellation is the fact that Dan Henderson, the original opponent for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, has been sidelined.

It was his injury, in fact, that eventually culminated in Jones being offered Chael Sonnen as a replacement at UFC 151, turning down the fight with Sonnen, and UFC president Dana White cancelling the entire event.

Henderson’s injury isn’t severe, but it’s bad enough that it hampered his ability to perform at a respectable level, and enough to put him out of commission for the next couple months.

I had a slight tear in my MCL and it was real unstable. No surgery is needed, luckily, but just got to immobilize it and ice it a lot for the next three or four weeks and then rehab it a little bit,” Henderson told AXS TV’s Inside MMA on Monday night. “Hopefully, I’d be 100-percent they said in three to four months.

“I’m just bummed out that it had to come to withdrawing from the fight.”

Henderson tried to tough it out, training with the MCL tear for a couple of weeks before coming to the realization that he wasn’t going to improve enough to stay in the fight and perform at an acceptable level.

What happens from here, Henderson doesn’t really know.

He’s hoping to stay at the top of the list for a shot at the winner of the UFC 152 headliner between Jones and his new opponent, Vitor Belfort, but hasn’t even broached the subject with UFC officials yet.

“I don’t know (if I’ll still get the title shot). I didn’t ask what was gonna happen if I didn’t take the fight,” relayed Henderson. “It wasn’t going to be a part of my decision making process. I wanted to make sure I made the right decision for the right reasons. I still don’t know what’s gonna happen. I can only hope that I’m still in line for that title shot.”

Whether a title shot is in his immediate future or not upon returning from the knee injury, Henderson thinks that he should be ready to get back in the Octagon by year’s end.

“I’d like to shoot for that Dec. 29 show.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 151 cancellation fallout and UFC 155 news.

Dan Henderson: I Could Be Persuaded to Retire (UFC 199 Video)

At 45 years of age, Dan Henderson has been fielding questions about possibly retiring for several years. He now appears ready to entertain the idea. read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Hendo's contract is expiring and he's got plenty of options on the table. In his own words: 'This could actually be the last fight.' read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

UFC 199 Results: Dan Henderson Knocks Out Hector Lombard in Round 2

Dan Henderson picked up an emphatic win at UFC 199, knocking out Hector Lombard in their main-card fight on Saturday night's pay-per-view in Inglewood, California. read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

Dan Henderson (32-14) is known for his “H-Bomb” of a right hand, but at UFC 199 he brought out the “H-Bow” against Hector Lombard (34-6-1, 2 NC). The two veteran middleweights went toe-to-toe in one read news >>

UFC 199 Video Highlights: Dan Henderson Returns from the Brink to KO Hector Lombard

Middleweight legend Dan Henderson took on the explosive Hector Lombard on Saturday on the UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 main card. Check out the video highlights. read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>

UFC 199 Fighter Salaries: Dan Henderson Pulls in $800,000 in Final Fight of Contract

Michael Bisping realized his dream on Saturday night, winning the middleweight championship at UFC 199, but Dan Henderson stood atop the payroll. read news >>

UFC 199: 6 Takeaways From a Night The Forum

UFC 199 turned out to be a night of surprises. Dan Henderson isn't done, but Urijah Faber might be. Luke Rockhold is not the next Anderson Silva. And, yes, Brock Lesnar is back. read news >>

Undefeated Jonathan Meunier Replaces Teammate, Makes Debut at UFC Ottawa

Unbeaten Canadian prospect Jonathan Meunier will replace his injured Tristar teammate Alex Garcia at UFC Fight Night 89 against Colby Covington. It will be Meunier's promotional debut. UFC officials read news >>