Dan Henderson at StrikeforceOne of the more overlooked aspects of the UFC 151 cancellation is the fact that Dan Henderson, the original opponent for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, has been sidelined.

It was his injury, in fact, that eventually culminated in Jones being offered Chael Sonnen as a replacement at UFC 151, turning down the fight with Sonnen, and UFC president Dana White cancelling the entire event.

Henderson’s injury isn’t severe, but it’s bad enough that it hampered his ability to perform at a respectable level, and enough to put him out of commission for the next couple months.

I had a slight tear in my MCL and it was real unstable. No surgery is needed, luckily, but just got to immobilize it and ice it a lot for the next three or four weeks and then rehab it a little bit,” Henderson told AXS TV’s Inside MMA on Monday night. “Hopefully, I’d be 100-percent they said in three to four months.

“I’m just bummed out that it had to come to withdrawing from the fight.”

Henderson tried to tough it out, training with the MCL tear for a couple of weeks before coming to the realization that he wasn’t going to improve enough to stay in the fight and perform at an acceptable level.

What happens from here, Henderson doesn’t really know.

He’s hoping to stay at the top of the list for a shot at the winner of the UFC 152 headliner between Jones and his new opponent, Vitor Belfort, but hasn’t even broached the subject with UFC officials yet.

“I don’t know (if I’ll still get the title shot). I didn’t ask what was gonna happen if I didn’t take the fight,” relayed Henderson. “It wasn’t going to be a part of my decision making process. I wanted to make sure I made the right decision for the right reasons. I still don’t know what’s gonna happen. I can only hope that I’m still in line for that title shot.”

Whether a title shot is in his immediate future or not upon returning from the knee injury, Henderson thinks that he should be ready to get back in the Octagon by year’s end.

“I’d like to shoot for that Dec. 29 show.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 151 cancellation fallout and UFC 155 news.

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

Andrew Leone Injured, Tilek Batyrov Faces Adriano Moraes at ONE: Heroes of the World

The interim title match between Adriano Moraes and Andrew Leone has been nixed due to an injury. Kyrgyz flyweight Tilek Batyrov steps in to fight Moraes. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez determined to make a difference as champ

Eddie Alvarez is already giving back to the Philadelphia community as he hopes to inspire young people and others to strive for their dreams. Alvarez won the UFC lightweight title against Rafael Dos read news >>

Ben Rothwell Injured, Out of UFC 203 Co-Main Event

Ben Rothwell has been forced out of his UFC 203 co-main event bout with former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum due to injury. read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 Press Conference Video Replay

The headliners of UFC 204, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, fielded questions from the media on Friday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Dan Henderson to Retire After UFC 204: Latest Comments and Reaction

UFC's Dan Henderson announced Friday that his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 204 on Oct. 8 will be the final one of his career, via ESPN.com's Arash Markazi. Henderson is 32-14 in his career an read news >>