Dan Henderson at StrikeforceOne of the more overlooked aspects of the UFC 151 cancellation is the fact that Dan Henderson, the original opponent for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, has been sidelined.

It was his injury, in fact, that eventually culminated in Jones being offered Chael Sonnen as a replacement at UFC 151, turning down the fight with Sonnen, and UFC president Dana White cancelling the entire event.

Henderson’s injury isn’t severe, but it’s bad enough that it hampered his ability to perform at a respectable level, and enough to put him out of commission for the next couple months.

I had a slight tear in my MCL and it was real unstable. No surgery is needed, luckily, but just got to immobilize it and ice it a lot for the next three or four weeks and then rehab it a little bit,” Henderson told AXS TV’s Inside MMA on Monday night. “Hopefully, I’d be 100-percent they said in three to four months.

“I’m just bummed out that it had to come to withdrawing from the fight.”

Henderson tried to tough it out, training with the MCL tear for a couple of weeks before coming to the realization that he wasn’t going to improve enough to stay in the fight and perform at an acceptable level.

What happens from here, Henderson doesn’t really know.

He’s hoping to stay at the top of the list for a shot at the winner of the UFC 152 headliner between Jones and his new opponent, Vitor Belfort, but hasn’t even broached the subject with UFC officials yet.

“I don’t know (if I’ll still get the title shot). I didn’t ask what was gonna happen if I didn’t take the fight,” relayed Henderson. “It wasn’t going to be a part of my decision making process. I wanted to make sure I made the right decision for the right reasons. I still don’t know what’s gonna happen. I can only hope that I’m still in line for that title shot.”

Whether a title shot is in his immediate future or not upon returning from the knee injury, Henderson thinks that he should be ready to get back in the Octagon by year’s end.

“I’d like to shoot for that Dec. 29 show.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 151 cancellation fallout and UFC 155 news.

There’s No Denying the Vanilla Gorilla

If he wins at Saturday's Titan FC 38, Chase Sherman hopes that his fourth win in a row will be enough to put him in the UFC. read news >>

TUF 23 Fight Replay, Week 2: Cory Hendricks Fights Through Injured Foot, Submits Khalil Rountree

Cory Hendricks fights through an injured foot to submit Khalil Rountree and swing the competition back to Team Claudia after the first fight. read news >>

Josh Thomson Injury Forces Cancellation of Bellator 154 Bout with Michael Chandler

The highly anticipated co-main event of “Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo” between Josh Thomson and Michael Chandler has been cancelled. read news >>

Daniel Cormier: Stem Cells Have Him on Track for Jon Jones at UFC 200

UFC light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier says stem cells have his injured leg on the mend. His only UFC 200 stumbling block? Himself. read news >>

After 4th Straight Win, It's Now or Never for Alistair Overeem's UFC Title Hopes

In a division where advanced age seems to be a strength, there is no end in sight to Alistair Overeem’s UFC title hopes. For most heavyweights, there will always be more chances until everything comp read news >>

Dana White Hopes Ronda Rousey Returns This Year, but Sounds Uncertain

UFC president Dana White hopes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey returns to the cage this year, but the possibility is up in the air. read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Chris Weidman at UFC 199: Latest Comments, Reaction

UFC has found a replacement for the injured Chris Weidman at UFC 199, as Michael Bisping will challenge Luke Rockhold on June 4, per Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Per Jason Floyd of the MMA read news >>

Michael Bisping gets UFC 199 title shot following Chris Weidman injury

Michael Bisping is stepping in for the injured Chris Weidman to face champion Luke Rockhold for the middleweight championship at UFC 199 in Los Angeles on June 4. read news >>

Dana White Says Conor McGregor’s Next Fight Should Be Finalized Wednesday Night

UFC president Dana White hopes to silence the Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather rumors. That could happen as soon as Wednesday night. read news >>