Dan Hardy passes on surgery to correct heart ailment, says future in UFC's hands

• submit to reddit

dan-hardy-17.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

After being diagnosed with a rare heart disorder, UFC welterweight Dan Hardy has decided against corrective surgery, even if it might end his fighting career.

“I don’t see a reason why I would let someone go in and start messing with it,” he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “That’s an easy decision to make.”

Hardy was barred by the California State Athletic Commission from competing April 20 at UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose when a prefight electrocardiogram revealed markers of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. He said he’ll place his fate in the hands of the UFC and should know this week whether the promotion will risk putting him in the octagon.

Most state athletic commissions likely would throw up a red flag on Hardy competing, but the UFC regulates many of its own events overseas in the absence of a commission.

Hardy (25-10 MMA, 6-4 UFC), 30, said there are no guarantees the surgery would fix an irregularity in his heart, which, according to doctors, sends additional electricity through it upon its second contraction. Most with Wolff- Parkinson-White suffer from heart palpitations and a rapid heartbeat but, in extreme cases, there is danger of sudden cardiac arrest if the strength of the heart’s second contraction exceeds the first.

Tests revealed Hardy, a onetime UFC welterweight title challenger, had a resting heart rate of 42 beats a minute and a maximum of 200, mirroring other superbly conditioned athletes. Hardy said he’s forgoing the operation because he’s never had symptoms of the syndrome.

“I know I’m approaching the end of my career,” Hardy said. “I’ve got to weigh whether it’s worth me taking the risk and getting the surgery to have a couple more fights I might not enjoy being a part of anyway.”

While promoting UFC on FOX 7, Hardy, who last year took a spiritual retreat to Peru, told news reporters he ideally would like to retire next year after a five-fight winning streak that ended with a defense of the welterweight title. He said he was unhappy with the business side of mixed martial arts and expressed a desire to return to school to complete a doctorate in philosophy.

“The business side of it is cutthroat, and at times it can be very unfair,” he said. “The meatheadedness around it, I don’t like any of it. It’s just ego for the sake of ego, and I can’t evolve into the person that I want to be in my life while being a part of it. That occurred to me when I was in South America.”

With the health development, his timetable for the next chapter in his life might have changed.

“They’re not options for me,” Hardy said. “They’re options for the UFC and whether they want to take a risk and whether, in fact, they see me as a risk. Everyone’s seen my fights. I never make an easy night of it. It’s always a scrap. I’ve been in the trenches, and I’ve never had any problems.

“I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t use me, but, obviously, the decision is out of my hands.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC commentator and former welterweight title challenger Dan Hardy still thinks he’s got a good shot at fighting again in the octagon. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC more

UFC commentator and former welterweight title challenger Dan Hardy still thinks he’s got a good shot at fighting again in the octagon. Filed under: News, UFC more

Silva says he doesn't expect his MMA career to be cut short without the now-banned treatment.
Antonio Silva was suspended for nine months after his epic, five-round brawl against Mark Hunt -- which resulted in a rare draw -- at UFC Fight Night 33 last December.
The reason? Elevated testosterone levels as a result of bad doctor's advice, according to "Bigfoot," who was approved for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) due to his battle with acromegaly.
Despite his recent setbacks, Silva eyes a more

Fight week always feels the same for UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve. But in another sense, there’s nothing usual about his next mixed martial arts bout.Filed under: News, UFC more

• a day ago

Dan Hardy has a nice, comfy job of calling fights for the UFC. Most fans would love to be in his position but Hardy has a plan to step back into the Octagon once more.
Speaking on MMAJunkie Radio Hardy shared that he received encouraging news in regards to his Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome and has an idea of who he would want to fight if he's cleared for action once again.
"Diego Sanchez, because after Ross Pearson got robbed, that was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen,” he said.
Pearso more

The UFC has a lot riding on this Saturday's pay-per-view event.
With Chris Weidman set to defend his middleweight title against Lyoto Machida and Ronda Rousey putting her women's bantamweight championship on the line against Alexis Davis, UFC 175 figures to be the fight company's biggest PPV of the year, at least so far.
Questions abound regarding this card. Does Weidman really deserve to be the 185-pound champion? Has Rousey given this training camp enough attention, as she's been off making mo more

After nearly sixteen months off battling a serious heart condition, Stefan Struve bucked the odds to return to the Octagon against Matt Mitrione at this weekend's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 from Las Vegas. Will the massive "Skyscraper" return to tower over the inconsistent "Meathead?" Read our fight preview to find out!
This Saturday night (July 5, 2014), Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweights Stefan Struve and Matt Mitrione will wage war on the main card of UFC 175, airing live at 10 p.m more

Dana White wants everyone to know that business is booming in UFC land. In fact, it's 'never been bigger.'
One of the more consistent narratives in MMA for 2014 has been the UFC's declining business. While we don't know any specific numbers for UFC 174, the early talk is that it did less than 100,000 pay-per-view buys, a number that seemed unthinkably low in very recent years.
Jon Jones hasn't developed into a star capable of pulling much more than 350,000 buys, despite being a freakish talent w more

UFC / WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida, taking place Saturday, July 5... more