Dan Hardy Still Wants Matt Hughes: Fan Reaction (Yahoo! Contributor Network)

• submit to reddit

By David King,

Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight Dan Hardy has been pretty vocal about his dislike for former champion Matt Hughes in the past, stating his desire to face the UFC legend inside the Octagon.

Even though UFC matchmakers didn't grant Hardy his wish - matching him up with Duane Ludwig at UFC 146, the brash British brawler still wants a shot at Hughes, and he had a few things to say about the former champ in a recent interview.

"I can't stand the dude," Hardy said in a recent interview with MMA Weekly Radio. "The thing is, at this stage in his career, I know he's past his peak. I know he's not looked great in his last few fights, and maybe he's kind of winding down. I would love to fight him and, if he was willing to take the fight, I would by all means love to get in there and put it on him, but I'm not going to chase after the guy cause he has passed his peak and he may not want to a fight against someone who doesn't like him as much as me. … As a person, I can't stand him; I wouldn't speak to him if I had the option. But I watch his fights and I learn from them."

Even though Hughes is clearly past his prime, I personally think Hardy might be biting off more than he can chew. Hughes might be on a two fight losing streak, but he didn't really look bad in his last fight against Josh Koscheck, winning the striking exchanges before getting caught.

Besides, Hardy usually struggles against good wrestlers, tipping the scales in favor of Hughes.

I really enjoyed the Matt Serra-Hughes drama a few years ago, and the trash talk led to an entertaining fight at UFC 98. A bout between Hardy and Hughes does have some potential as well. But Hardy will have to get past Ludwig first. A loss to Ludwig might just get Hardy cut from the UFC, considering the fact he's currently on a four-fight losing streak.

David is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and boxing practitioner that has watched and studied MMA for the past 7 years. Follow him on twitter @davidkingwriter and check out his blog.

Sources:

Damon Martin, "Dan Hardy Would Love to Face 'Blood Thirsty Kill Freak' Matt Hughes"

Fight and fighter information from Sherdog.com

More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:

Interview: Kenny Florian Wants to Fight the Best Lightweights Around

Chael Sonnen Questions Anderson Silva's Cardio

Anderson Silva Calls Out Dana White

Jose Aldo Still Wants to Fight Frankie Edgar

Benavidez Talks About Johnson-McCall Rematch

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

"Rush" left on a high note -- 12 straight wins -- a remarkable achievement that has his former nemesis a bit jealous. After defending his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title for a division-record ninth consecutive time against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Nov. 2013, Georges St-Pierre announced that he would relinquish his title and take an indefinite leave of absence from mixed martial arts (MMA). Because according to the former champion, the pressure and his battle with obs more

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent. "The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish more

Matt Hughes, who now works as a VP of Athlete Development for the UFC, thinks Georges St-Pierre should just hang up the gloves for good. Georges St-Pierre is still undecided whether he would eventually come back from his extended layoff or not, but a fellow long time UFC welterweight champion had some friendly advice for him. Matt Hughes spoke about St-Pierre, and despite now holding a VP job with the UFC, he thinks one of the promotion's biggest stars should just 'get out' and hang it up for go more

Former opponents Matt Hughes and Dennis Hallman trade a few shots on twitter. Dennis Hallman is currently set to compete at WSOF 11 against Jon Fitch, but the former UFC fighter had a brief run in with a former opponent on social media. Ben Saunders tweeted about Hallman defeating Hughes twice in his career, and the former UFC champion didn't take kindly to being reminded about it. Check out their twitter exchange: Headin 2 Daytona to help out @DennisHallman . A damn Legend in the sport! Submitt more

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world. A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to follow me on twitter and instagram: @antontabuena Oh, and these guys are probably worth following as well: The Official BloodyElbow Twitter Account, Kid Nate, Brent Brookhouse, Richard Wade, Chris Barton, D.E.O, Scott Broussard, Matt Bishop, Fraser Coffeen, Dallas Winston, KJ Gould, Ben Thapa, T.P. Gr more

It looks like Dan Henderson will be heading back into middleweight waters. The MMA legend and former Olympian has found success in a variety of weight classes throughout his storied career, with several of his greatest achievements coming at 185 pounds. Yet, "Hendo" has spent the better part of the past four years competing in the light heavyweight fold, where he climbed the divisional ladder to establish himself as one of the top 205-pound fighters on the UFC roster. Nevertheless, it has been a more

Approaching 44 years of age, don't expect the TRT ban and a crushing loss stop Dan Henderson from continuing his career. If we're being frank - Dan Henderson was completely demolished by Daniel Cormier at UFC 173. Coming off his 3rd round knockout of Mauricio Rua, Henderson fought Cormier in Vegas, sans TRT, having weighed in at 199 lbs the day before their fight, and was beaten pillar to post before the rear-naked choke in the 3rd round put him to sleep. But this is Dan Henderson we're talking more

Can "Hendo" find success in a familiar place? It looks like Dan Henderson now has to watch his Popeye's Chicken intake if he wants to make weight for his next mixed martial arts (MMA) fight. On the heels of his loss to Daniel Cormier (video), the No. 2 ranked light heavyweight in the world at UFC 173 last month, Henderson has decided to drop back down to the middleweight division. "Hendo's" manager, Daniel Woirin, spilled the beans to MMA Fighting. Henderson hasn't competed in the 185-pound clas more

We answer your #themmahour questions on anything and everything going on in the MMA world. more