Dan Hardy Isn’t in This for the Money, Only the Love of the Fight

• submit to reddit

Dan Hardy UFCIt’s a rare moment in the UFC when a fighter gets another shot after four losses in a row, but Dan Hardy knew going into his last bout that he was in a do or die situation.

Even with the support of UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta, who is a big fan of Hardy, the British welterweight had to know a fifth loss would likely mean the end of his career inside the Octagon.

Well, Hardy certainly made the most of the situation because he knocked out Duane “Bang” Ludwig midway through the first round to get back on the right track.

While Dan Hardy’s story is far from over, the ending at UFC 146 was the kind of perfect tale that rarely happens that way, but it was a great moment that he surely needed.

“For me it was the way it was supposed to end. It was the way all my fights are supposed to end, and how I always predict them ending,” Hardy told MMAWeekly Radio. “Sometimes, it just doesn’t happen.

“The thing with Duane, and I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, it could have been either way that night. He hit me with a good shot early on, and it’s just one of those things you roll the dice and you’re willing to stand there and trade punches, you’re going to get caught, and it was my night that night.”

The win lifted a world of pressure off of Hardy’s shoulders, but in a sport where you’re only as good as your last fight, he knows that his next fight is just as important. The next one may even end up being more important because it’s Hardy’s return to his home country of England where he faces Amir Sadollah at this weekend’s UFC on Fuel TV 5 show from Nottingham, England.

It’s been nearly three years since Hardy won in his home country and the bitter taste of a loss to Carlos Condit on his home soil still hurts, but now this is his chance to return to England and give the fans what they’ve been waiting for – a Dan Hardy victory.

“It’s essential, especially with it being in Nottingham. There have been a lot of fans waiting for me to come back to the U.K. and fight in front of my hometown crowd, and it’s just not been feasible recently. I have a lot of people that have been waiting a long time that maybe can’t travel to Vegas to watch my last fight, and I’ve got to go back and give those fans the show that they deserve for the support that they’ve given me,” Hardy stated.

Coming home to England means a lot to Dan Hardy, but he’s not going out for his bout against Amir Sadollah thinking “win at all costs.” He’s thinking about the primal nature of fighting, and if he’s successful, so be it, but ultimately he just wants to fight.

“I’m doing this sport for no other reason than I love it and that’s really the bottom line for me. If I was looking to make a load of money, I would be a boxer. Obviously, now we’re seeing Jon Jones picking up Nike sponsorships, there’s money to be made now, but when I got into it, it was because I loved the sport,” Hardy commented.

“Nothing’s changed. I want to get in there and fight guys. I’m a fighter and I come to fight, and I think as long as you show up with that mentality, the fight is going to be exciting because you’re trying to beat the guy up.”

So when the fans show up in Nottingham this weekend, they can expect and old-school Dan Hardy performance, and judging by his record in those kinds of fights, he’s going to do just fine.

Tune into Wednesday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio to hear the full interview with UFC on Fuel 5's Dan Hardy

From Yahoo Sports: Who is the frontrunner for the Fighter of the Year? Fight of the Year? Dave Doyle looks at who's been impressive thus far. more

MMA Fighting has UFC Fight Night 45 results for the Cerrone vs. Miller fight card July 16, live blogs of the main card, and live UFC Fight Night 45 twitter updates.In the main event, Donald Cerrone will square off against Jim Miller. Edson Barboza is slated to face Evan Dunham in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 45 results below.Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 9 p.m. ET)Donald Cerrone vs. Jim MillerEdson Barboza vs. Evan DunhamRick Story vs. Leonardo MafraJustin Salas vs. Joe ProctorJo more

Watch Bellator 122 live stream online on MMA Fighting for the preliminary card at 7 p.m. ET. The fight card for this portion of the event is as follows:Kelly Anundson (8-2) vs. Philipe Lins (9-0)Poppies Martinez (26-9) vs. Bubba Jenkins (6-1)Dmitriy Sosnovskiy (8-0) vs. Manny Lara (4-4)Augusto Sakai (6-0) vs. Matt Frembling (9-2)Linton Vassell (13-3) vs. Virgil Zwicker (12-3)Fernando Gonzalez (20-12) vs. Karl Amoussou (17-6-2)Joe Duarte (10-3) vs. Saad Awad (15-6)Stephen Martinez (10-2) vs. Serg more

• a day ago

Dan Hardy has a nice, comfy job of calling fights for the UFC. Most fans would love to be in his position but Hardy has a plan to step back into the Octagon once more.
Speaking on MMAJunkie Radio Hardy shared that he received encouraging news in regards to his Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome and has an idea of who he would want to fight if he's cleared for action once again.
"Diego Sanchez, because after Ross Pearson got robbed, that was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen,” he said.
Pearso more

This weekend, the UFC celebrates the biggest fight week of the year, with UFC 175 being the main attraction of the MMA world. Headlined by two title fights and numerous other star-filled bouts, UFC 175 promises to be a must-see event with big implications.
Chris Weidman and Ronda Rousey are set to defend their belts in the co-main events. Weidman faces karate master Lyoto Machida in an intriguing matchup, while Rousey takes on jiu-jitsu black belt Alexis Davis.
If that's not enough to tickle you more

Before a Florida bill dropped that disallows access to these records, John S. Nash was able to procure various revenue details and payout records from every major MMA promotion that hosted shows in the state for the past few years. Yesterday, July 1st, marked the first day that the provisions in Florida bill HB 775 took effect. (A summary of HB 775 can be found here.) If you had read an earlier post I did on the contents of the bill, when it was known as HB 808, and Zuffa's lobbying efforts to s more

MMA Fighting has the TUF 19 Finale fight card for the Edgar vs. Penn 3 event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on July 6.In the main event, Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn will square off for the third time, but the first one at featherweight. Edgar has defeated Penn twice via unanimous decision at UFC 112 and UFC 118 at lightweight.Check out the TUF 19 Finale fight card below.Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 9 p.m ET)Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. PennCorey Anderson vs. Matt Van Buren (TUF light hea more

MMA Fighting has UFC 175 results for the Weidman vs. Machida fight card July 5, plus live coverage from Las Vegas, live blogs of all the fights, and live UFC 175 twitter updates.In the main event, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman will defend his title against former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey will try to retain her title against Alexis Davis in the co-main event.Check out the UFC 175 results below.Main card (PPV at 10 p.m. more

MMA Fighting brings you UFC 175 play-by-play and more for the Weidman vs. Machida fight card. Tonight's event is headlined by a fight between UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida. This bout is scheduled for five, five-minute rounds. Also appearing on the main card are Ronda Rousey vs. Alexis Davis, Stefan Struve vs. Matt Mitrione, Uriah Hall vs. Thiago Santos, and Marcus Brimage vs. Russell Doane. Tonight's fights take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Ne more