Damien Brown-Fight-LegacyWhen looking at Australian lightweight Damien Brown’s career, it would be easy to compare it to the ocean tide. It began with high tide, winning his first six pro fights; followed by low tide, losing his next three fights; to being followed up by high tide again, currently on a three-fight winning streak.

Brown credits those around him for getting him through the rough times and back on track.

“I have a fantastic team of coaches and training partners and I never felt unready for any of those fights,” he said. “I always came well prepared and conditioned, however, I lost to a quick TKO in one and the other two were very good, advanced BJJ techniques.

“I was winning the fights until I got caught, so I guess my confidence wasn’t down because I knew I was ready and winning, but just got unlucky. My team always backed me and I just pushed through.”

During his current winning streak, Brown made a successful debut in China’s Legend FC, and is once again being asked to return to the promotion for their April 27 card in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, against up-and-coming Japanese Shooto star Yasuke Kasuya.

“I think this is a very even and solid match-up for me,” said Brown. “I’m confident I can win. I just need to control the fight and I think I can win it on my feet or in the wrestle.

“I like this fight and have been excited about it since first being told my opponent.”

This past February, Brown defeated Rob Hill, who had previously defeated Kasuya.

When asked what he thought about beating a fighter who had won against his upcoming opponent, Brown said, “He dominated Rob for most of the round before a simple mistake cost him the fight. It’s good to know he’s beatable and I believe I got the right game to beat him.”

A win over Kasuya could be a big boost in helping Brown gain international exposure and take another step closer towards obtaining a championship, both of which are part of his game plan for the remainder of the year.

“For 2013, I just want to take it one fight at a time,” he said. “I’m planning a trip to Denver, Colo., in the U.S. to train and I want to increase the winning streak I’ve got going.

“I’d like to have my shot at the title by the year’s end. It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks in life, if you want it, go after it.”

Brown obviously puts a lot of importance on those around him, and had nothing but praise for his coaches and the sponsors that have supported him.

“I’d like to thank my coaches Dan Higgins, Adrian Pang and Steve Compton. Thanks to Integrated MMA and my training partners; my sponsors Temper Fightwear, Prodigy fit, Australian Sports Nutrition, Rocktape Australia, Again Faster and MMA apparel Australia.”

Kyle O’Reilly Embraces the Convergence of Pro Wrestling and MMA

Heading into his match with UFC veteran Matt Riddle, Kyle O'Reilly embraces the convergence of pro wrestling and MMA. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 203

UFC Fight Night 93 is in the books. The results are as follows: Josh Barnett defeated Andrei Arlovski via submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:53 of the third round. Alexander Gustafsson defeated Jan B read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Zac Riley Used to Underdog Role Heading into RFA 43 Against Boston Salmon

Zac Riley will look to pick up his third straight win for the RFA this Friday in Broomfield, Colorado, when he takes on another rising star in Boston Salmon. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

Miocic counters Overeem talk of championship complacency

Alistair Overeem is in for a surprise if he really believes Stipe Miocic is distracted heading into his first title defense in his hometown. Miocic said as much Thursday at the UFC 203 pre-fight pres read news >>

Alexandre Bezerra Feels No Pressure Heading into Titan FC Title Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Alexandre Bezerra will look to keep his winning streak going when he makes his Titan FC debut on Friday to challenge Andre Harrison for the 145-pound title. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>