Strikeforce champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos will lose her 145-pound title after testing positive for a banned substance on Dec. 16, UFC President Dana White said during a radio interview on Friday.

White also acknowledged that the development has left the future of the Strikeforce women’s featherweight division in doubt.

“We were going to hold that division and just do fights with Cyborg whenever there was a new contender,” White told ESPN 1100 Las Vegas. “She’s getting stripped of the of the title. This pretty much kills the division.”

Santos tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol, also known as Winstrol, in a drug test taken the day before her successful Dec. 17 title defense against Hiroko Yamanaka in San Diego. The California State Athletic Commission learned of the positive test on Dec. 23 and suspended Santos for one year, retroactive to Dec. 16, and fined her $2,500. In addition, the result of her bout with Yamanaka was changed to a “no decision.”

On Saturday, Santos released a statement on her personal website.

“I would sincerely like to apologize to Strikeforce, the Zuffa organization, Hiroko Yamanaka and my fans for my failed drug test,” she said. “I am ultimately responsible for everything I put in my body, and at the end of the day, there is no excuse for having a prohibited substance in my system. I do not condone the use of any performance enhancing drugs by myself or any professional athlete, and willingly accept the penalties and fines that have been handed down to me by the California State Athletic Commission and those of the Strikeforce/Zuffa organization.”

Santos did not admit to using stanozolol, however, instead blaming the results of the positive test on a supplement she used to aid with her weight cut.

“While I was preparing myself for my last fight, I was having a difficult time cutting weight and used a dietary supplement that I was assured was safe and not prohibited from use in sports competition,” she said. “It was never my intention to obtain an unfair advantage over Hiroko, mislead Strikeforce, the Commission or my fans. I train harder than any fighter in MMA and do not need drugs to win in the cage, and I have proven this time and time again!

“My only mistake is not verifying the diet aid with my doctor beforehand, and understanding that it was not approved for use in the ring. Unfortunately, in the end, I suffer the consequences and must accept the responsibility for my actions.”

Since losing her mixed martial arts debut in 2005, Cyborg had reeled off 10 consecutive victories leading up to her meeting with Yamanaka. The Curitiba, Brazil, native hadn’t fought in the 18 months prior due to contractual issues as well as a lack of quality opponents. Cyborg had been dominant under the Strikeforce banner, earning one-sided victories against Hitomi Akano, Gina Carano, Marloes Coenen and Jan Finney since joining the promotion in 2009.

How Conor McGregor Stacks Up with the UFC's Lightweight Division

Conor McGregor is slated to fight Rafael dos Anjos for the UFC lightweight title at UFC 197 on March 5. Assuming the UFC meets McGregor’s enormous financial demands, the fight will go ahead. It will read news >>

Reactions to Yoel Romero's potential testing failure (Kennedy, Bisping bring the fire)

UFC middleweight contender Yoel Romero was given notice of a potential USADA drug-testing failure today, and it’s news that apparently came as little surprise to many of his fellow fighters.Filed und read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

The State of the UFC Flyweight Division

The flyweight division has the distinction of being the UFC's only weight class to have had just one champion. While this absence of parity can partly be attributed to the division's recent inception read news >>

Diego Brandao tests positive for marijuana metabolites after UFC 195 loss

Diego Brandao looked to be on his way to a win over Brian Ortega before a third-round mistake landed him in a fight-ending triangle choke. That wasn’t the only issue for Brandao that night.Filed unde read news >>

UFC fighters' funniest USADA-testing stories: Guns, birthday suits, GPS coordinates

BOSTON – Thanks to a recent deal with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and the new UFC Anti-Doping Policy, fighters are getting tested more often, and they have plenty of stories about the process read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

The State of the UFC Men's Bantamweight Division

These bantamweight dynasties—they don’t last forever. Just ask T.J. Dillashaw. On Sunday, it was Dominick Cruz bringing Dillashaw’s reign to a crashing halt after 20 months on top of the men’s 135-po read news >>

Back at 155, Sanchez Faces Miller at UFC 197

After a one-fight experiment in the featherweight division, Diego Sanchez will move back to 155 pounds on Saturday, March 5 when he faces Jim Miller in a UFC FIGHT PASS featured bout on the UFC 197 c read news >>

Former M-1 Challenge heavyweight champ Marcin Tybura signs deal with UFC

The UFC has a new addition to its heavyweight division in the form of an ex-M-1 Challenge champion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>