Cured of Hepatitis B, Geronimo dos Santos Eagerly Anticipates UFC Debut



Geronimo dos Santos was to have made his Octagon debut against Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 153 but withdrew from the bout when pre-fight examinations revealed that the Brazilian heavyweight had hepatitis B.

After dedicating himself to an arduous treatment, the fighter was cleared in preliminary tests and is now close to making his debut with the world’s largest mixed martial arts promotion a reality.

“I cannot wait to make a second test to confirm it and finally have this opportunity. I´m so anxious to fight against the best in UFC,” dos Santos [pictured: left] said.

“Mondragon’s” manager, Alex Davis, confirmed the news to Sherdog.com from Brazil.

"The preliminary tests indicated that he is free of hepatitis B. Mondragon underwent a very aggressive treatment. We'll have to do more tests to confirm the diagnosis and provide the [results] to the athletic commission here in Brazil. Once we confirm that he is cured, he will be released to [fight].” Davis said.

According the renowned Brazilian doctor Drauzio Varella, hepatitis B, unlike chronic hepatitis, is asymptomatic and treatment in most patients eliminates the virus and evolves into a permanent cure.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 15 days ago
  • 6 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was among eight fighters who received six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of December's UFC on FOX 13 event, according to information rele read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 1 views

Junior dos Santos was the biggest earner at UFC on Fox 13, taking home a reported $260,000 for his victory over Stipe Miocic ($30,000) in the evening’s main event on Dec. 13. read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 15 views

Junior dos Santos could be facing six months on the sidelines following his five-round slugfest with Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fox 13. read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

Junior dos Santos fought tough battles in his past UFC fights, and underwent two surgeries on Thursday. The former UFC heavyweight champion, who defeated Stipe Miocic via unanimous decision in Decemb read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 28 views

I guess that rules out a Travis Browne fight. After a 25-minute war against Stipe Miocic, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White warned the mixed martial arts (MMA) community that read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos had a rough fight the last time out, but on Thursday had successful surgery to put him back on the mend. read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 1 views

Mirko Cro-Cop's return to the UFC will be against an all-too-familiar foe in the main event of the promotion's debut in Poland. Earlier today, the UFC announced three European-based events over the n read news >>