Cung Le Promoting Movies, Hopes for a Call to Fight in the UFC

• submit to reddit
Cung Le facing Scott Smith in Strikeforce

Cung Le facing Scott Smith in Strikeforce

While it’s been a while since fans last saw Cung Le in action live, they can get a chance to check him out in his latest movie, Tekken, out on DVD and Blu-Ray on July 19.

In the adaptation of the popular video game franchise, Le plays Martial Law opposite fellow MMA fighter Roger Heurta, Luke Goss (Blade II, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army) and up-and-coming star John Foo (Batman Begins, Universal Soldier: Regeneration).

“Actually I almost didn’t do the movie because it was so close to my Frank Shamrock fight back in 2008,” Le told MMAWeekly.com. “I think it’s one of the better movies that’s been made from a video game. It’s got good action and I think that the director and producer did a good job.”

While things went smoothly for the most part behind the scenes, Le did end up on the wrong end of a fight scene accident.

“The lead actor, John Foo (portraying franchise hero Jin Kazama), missed his marke and gave me 21 stitches on the last day of the shoot,” smarted Le.

Le’s acting career is currently in overdrive, as he has no less than three movies due out in the next two years.

“I’ve got another one coming out this month called Bodyguards and Assassins with Donnie Yen (Blade II, Highlander: End Game, Iron Monkey) that’s going to be one to watch,” said Le.

“It’s a period piece and the fans can expect to see one of the best actors in China in Donnie Yen. I have this major fight scene with him. The movie won eight out of 14 awards at the Honk Kong Film Festival, which is like the Academy Awards in Honk Kong. I think fans will really like Bodyguards and Assassins.”

Le further commented, “I believe the two movies that I finished last year, Dragon Eyes and The Man with the Iron Fists should be coming out soon. The Man with the Iron Fists, I believe will be out the first quarter of next year and Dragon Eyes either late this year or early next year.”

To promote Dragon Eyes, Le will be making an appearance at this year’s San Diego Comic Con on July 23 at the San Diego Convention Center.

While his film career is his current focus, the question remains, when will Le return to action? The answer may be sooner than you think.

“Right now I don’t have any fights lined up, but I actually reached out to Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta) and let them know that I would love to fight in the UFC, so we’ll see,“ said Le. “I had a Strikeforce contract and I was loyal to them and Scott Coker because we’ve been friends for so long, but now that everything’s under one umbrella, it will be an honor to fight for the UFC.

“As soon as I found out that Cain (Velasquez) is fighting in San Jose (Calif. at UFC 138) in November, I would definitely be open to being on that card. I think that would be pretty cool.”

Never one to stay idle for long, Le shows no signs of slowing down as he continues to further his careers, both inside and outside the cage.

“I just want to say thank you to all the fans for their patience and support,” he concluded. “And thanks to all my sponsors from Zebra Mats to Clinch Gear for sticking by me.”

The kickboxing champ showed up at UFC Dublin yesterday and told Dana White he wants just one fight in the Octagon.
Tyron Spong was last seen snapping his shin in a Glory kickboxing event but apparently he's well enough to show up backstage at yesterday's UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao and ask UFC president Dana White for a chance to compete in the Octagon.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,' White said at Saturday's post-fight press conference. "I want to more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

A fight between Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero -- two surging middleweights in the UFC -- has been booked for UFC 178, which is set to take place in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review first reported the bout.
Kennedy has won four fights in a row going back to his Strikeforce days, and is 3-0 in the UFC. He is coming off an impressive one-sided decision victory over Michael Bisping at the TUF Nations Finale in April. Kennedy currently sits at No. 6 on the media driven UFC rankings.
The Cuban wrestler R more

This Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 45 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, is headlined by a lightweight clash between the Garden State's own Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone. This is a matchup with major title implications, therefore making it a pivotal scrap inside the Octagon at 155 pounds. Miller, the most recognizable face from Whippany, New Jersey's AMA Fight Club, enters the bout ranked as the No. 7 lightweight in the world, according to the UFC's official rankings. The 30-year-old was a dark-horse t more

Watch the UFC on FOX 12: Lawler vs. Brown Fight Club Q&A featuring middleweights Luke Rockhold and Cung Le, streaming live on Friday at 5 p.m. ET from San Jose. more

Watch the UFC on FOX 12: Lawler vs. Brown Fight Club Q&A video replay featuring middleweights Luke Rockhold and Cung Le which took place on Friday in San Jose, Calif. more

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is interested in a potential move to WWE after his fighting career only if “got paid” a significant amount. Rashad Evans is open to a potential move to World Wrestling Entertainment if the money is right.
The former UFC light-heavyweight champion won't look to make the transition to professional wrestling anytime soon, but alluded to the possibility that he may consider that option once his fighting career is complete.
"If I ever did anything li more

“The Ultimate Fighter 8? winner Efrain Escudero is once again back in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC more

At UFC Fight Night 46 in Dublin, Ireland, hometown favorite Conor McGregor will look to move closer to a featherweight title shot when he takes on Diego Brandao in the night’s main event. McGregor is 2-0 inside the Octagon and faces a dangerous opponent in The Ultimate Fighter Season 14 winner Brandao.
Before McGregor and Brandao throw down in the featherweight headliner, there are a number of fighters competing who haven’t looked so good lately and may need a win if they want to stay in the UFC more