Cub Swanson won't beg the UFC for a title shot against Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes winner

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

From Around the Web

Chad Mendes was asked on who he wants to win the featherweight title fight between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor. Chad Mendes was asked who he will be rooting for on the upcoming featherweight champio read news >>

Chad Mendes won't exactly be draping an Irish flag around himself in July. But the top featherweight contenders does have somewhat of a rooting interest when it comes to Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor read news >>

Max Holloway passed a big test and the next one is coming up pretty quickly. After a unanimous decision victory over Cole Miller on Saturday night, Holloway was told in the Octagon that the UFC is sa read news >>

Max Holloway will immediately get back in camp after beating Cole Miller on Saturday night. Max Holloway just put on an impressive performance on his co-headliner against Cole Miller, and it looks li read news >>

Max Holloway couldn’t even get out of the cage on Saturday night before he had his next fight booked. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Tickets go on sale this week for April’s UFC Fight Night 63 event Virginia, featuring a headlining matchup between top featherweight contenders Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

What are Conor McGregor’s chances of upsetting longtime UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo? According to the betting public, they’re surprisingly good. In fact, for a brief time, “Notorious” was ac read news >>

More Max Holloway? Yes please! Following yet another highlight-reel performance from Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) No. 13 ranked featherweight contender Max Holloway in the co-main event of UF read news >>

The lineup for UFC Fight Night 63, the UFC’s return to Virginia, is set. The event takes place April 4 at Patriot Center in Fairfax.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>