With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

From Around the Web

'Excited' Chad Mendes predicts Jose Aldo over Conor McGregor at UFC 189

Chad Mendes has a vested interest in the UFC 189 featherweight title fight between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor. That’s mainly because he’s on the short-list of candidates to fight the winner.Filed u read news >>

Jose Aldo Should've Punched Conor McGregor for UFC Belt Stunt, Says Chad Mendes

The vast majority of us were stunned into silence when Conor McGregor snatched Jose Aldo’s UFC featherweight title belt and raised it aloft at their recent Dublin press conference. But divisional riv read news >>

Chad Mendes: I would have started swinging if I was Jose Aldo

FAIRFAX -- UFC featherweight contender Chad Mendes spoke to the media Thursday about his UFC Fight Night 63 main event opposite Ricardo Lamas, where he stands in the division, if he'll get another ti read news >>

Champ Jose Aldo predicts 'No. 1 fighter' Chad Mendes over Ricardo Lamas

Jose Aldo’s educated guess has Chad Mendes topping Ricardo Lamas when the featherweight contenders collide in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 63 headliner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Chad Mendes knocks out Ricardo Lamas to remain in title chase

Jose Aldo is the best featherweight in the world. And it's hard to say Chad Mendes is not a close second. Mendes proved that again by knocking out Ricardo Lamas at 2:45 of the first round in the main read news >>

Matches to Make for Winners and Losers of FN63

It's not the title he wants, but Chad Mendes is coming closer and closer to proving he's the best nonchampion on the UFC roster. At UFC Fight Night 63, Mendes made quick work of former featherweight read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor: London Highlights, Quotes from UFC 189 World Tour

Conor McGregor continued with his attempts to get under Jose Aldo's skin during the London UFC 189 World Tour event ahead of their highly anticipated fight on July 11, but the defending champion retu read news >>

UFC 189 'Embedded' video blog (Ep. 8): Cameras capture Conor McGregor's infamous 'slap' that drove Jose Aldo 'crazy'

Slap? Hardly. Unwelcome physical contact? Definitely. I can empathize with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Jose Aldo. It's bad enough to have someone sitting above and beh read news >>

The MMA Hour with Alexander Gustafsson, Michael Bisping, Chad Mendes, Michael Chiesa, Todd Duffee, Jamie Varner, Tom Law

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life. Below is a rundown of Monday's show: 1:00 p.m. ET -- "Filthy" Tom Lawlor will review his WrestleMania experience and update us on his career. 1:25 p. read news >>