Cub Swanson won't beg the UFC for a title shot against Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes winner

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

Despite a 0-3 record in fights against Jose Aldo, Urijah Faber doesn’t think the UFC featherweight champion has Team Alpha Male’s number.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Who deserves the next UFC featherweight title shot? According to a recent UFC poll, it's Frankie Edgar, not Conor McGregor. Frankie Edgar's victory at UFC Fight Night 57 was the kind of performance t read news >>

Weigh-ins for this week’s “UFC Fight Night 58: Machida vs. Dollaway” event take place Friday, Dec. 19, at Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar's demolition of Cub Swanson on Saturday night may bring us back to the inevitable fork in the road. Edgar, based on beating Swanson, and he did far more than just beat him, should be th read news >>

With a dominant win over Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 57, Frankie Edgar is back in the running for a shot at featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Although Edgar has only made three appearances since l read news >>

The MMA world is taking a bit of a pause for a Thanksgiving break. But it didn't do so before a fresh controversy was tossed onto the plate: In the wake of Frankie Edgar's dominant performance agains read news >>

UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor believes he should get the title shot at 145 pounds based on his ability to sell tickets, and he didn't mind sharing that sentiment with fellow contender Fr read news >>

Before UFC 181 on Saturday night, EA Sports UFC simulated the title fights between Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler and Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez. Find out who will leave the Octagon with read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 58 Q&A featuring featherweight champion Jose Aldo and top bantamweight contender Dominick Cruz streaming live from Brazil on Friday at 11:45 a.m. ET / 8:45 a.m. PT. read news >>