With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

Step aside Frankie Edgar, because Chad Mendes wants the winner of Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor at UFC 189

Frankie Edgar may believe Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White owes him the next featherweight title shot, but "The Answer" isn't the only one who expects to be next in line. Cha read news >>

Jose Aldo still on at UFC 189 – but Conor McGregor-Chad Mendes contingency in place

Jose Aldo is not out of his UFC 189 main event title defense against Conor McGregor. But the UFC has a backup plan in place. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo plans to face Conor McGregor at UFC 189, Chad Mendes on standby

Jose Aldo still plans on competing at UFC 189. And if he can't, the UFC has a backup plan. Aldo has a bone bruise to his rib and a cartilage injury following a training accident this week, according read news >>

McGregor won't know if it's Jose Aldo or Chad Mendes until July 10; 'they're all the same to me'

Conor McGregor's head coach John Kavanagh says they won't know until a day before the fight whether Conor will be facing Jose Aldo or Chad Mendes. On Wednesday, it was announced that Chad Mendes woul read news >>

MMAjunkie Daily: Who will Conor McGregor fight at UFC 189?

Will Conor McGregor face Jose Aldo or Chad Mendes in the main event of UFC 189? Check out the MMAjunkie Daily for lead reporter John Morgan’s thoughts on the situation.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

UFC 189: Chad Mendes getting paid to serve as Jose Aldo's back up plan vs. Conor McGregor

Regardless if gets he steps into the cage to face "Notorious" on July 11, 2015 or not. It's been a good couple of weeks for Chad Mendes. The former No.1 featherweight contender inked a new eight-figh read news >>

Conor McGregor better pray Jose Aldo makes it to UFC 189 to avoid getting 'messed up' by Chad Mendes

"Money" already bringing the fire! Much to the chagrin of some, Chad Mendes was pegged to be Jose Aldo's back up against Conor McGregor at UFC 189 on July 11, 2015, just in case the Brazilian's ribs read news >>

Jose Aldo officially out of UFC 189; Chad Mendes meets Conor McGregor for interim belt

The news many expected to come has arrived, and next week’s UFC 189 has been overhauled less than two weeks out.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo out, Chad Mendes vs. Conor McGregor on as UFC 189 main event

Jose Aldo is too injured to compete at UFC 189, which means Chad Mendes will face Conor McGregor for the interim featherweight title on July 11th. The dreaded news has been delivered. After days of s read news >>

Jose Aldo out of UFC 189, Conor McGregor faces Chad Mendes for interim featherweight title

It's finally official: UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is out of his UFC 189 main event opposite contender Conor McGregor. UFC President Dana White made the news official on ESPN's SportsCenter read news >>