Cub Swanson won't beg the UFC for a title shot against Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes winner

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

Mo money, mo problems... UFC 179: "Aldo vs. Mendes 2" from Ginásio do Maracanãzinho in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil has officially wrapped, which means it's time for those select fighters who went above an read news >>

The thrilling title fight main event between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Chand Mendes won ‘Fight of the Night’ honors, while Following a three-week hiatus, MMA's top promotion returned to ac read news >>

Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes led the way for the UFC 179 fighter bonuses, scoring the Fight of the Night honors in Rio. read news >>

Check out the UFC 179 fight highlights from the Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes featherweight title fight in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. read news >>

At UFC 179 last night (Sat., Oct. 25, 2014), Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes battled over the featherweight title inside Maracanazinho Gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In an incredible bout, Aldo retai read news >>

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo went the distance against Chad Mendes on Saturday night at UFC 179, and it came at a price. And still UFC featherweight Champion of the world José Aldo Junior!! @ read news >>

Great UFC fights don’t just entertain fans and build legacies – they inspire others on the promotion’s roster. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes are set for a Saturday night rematch for the featherweight title at UFC 179. It will be the main event of a card welcoming back the UFC with a bang. The premier MMA organiza read news >>

Sorry to all you "JUST BLEED" folks, but things remained civil when Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes stared each other down at the media day event this week in Brazil (see it the other way here). "Junior" a read news >>

Jump to: