With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

Morning Report: Conor McGregor talks TUF with Urijah Faber, lessons learned from Chad Mendes and dates with Jose Aldo

Conor McGregor's had a busy summer. On July 11 he become the interim UFC featherweight champion and went straight into filming the next season of The Ultimate Fighter just days later. McGregor will c read news >>

Champ Jose Aldo didn't bother to watch Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes

UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo and his longtime coach Andre Pederneiras never gave Chad Mendes much of a chance to beat Conor McGregor when he stepped in to co-headline UFC 189 back in July. Filed read news >>

Jose Aldo still hasn't watched UFC 189: McGregor vs. Mendes

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has no plans to watch Conor McGregor vs Chad Mendes. Jon Jones, Chad Mendes, Daniel Cormier and a host of other fighters have admitted to their obsession of watch read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Chad Mendes has his 'Money' on Jose Aldo beating Conor McGregor at UFC 194

• an hour ago

I think Aldo. Feeling the kicks of both guys obviously Aldo's power and speed is 10 times more than Conor. I think Conor does a great job of keeping that distance with his punches which could possibl read news >>

Chad Mendes fires back at Duane Ludwig: 'we made him, we put him on the map'

Top UFC featherweight contender Chad Mendes is tired of hearing about former coach, Duane Ludwig. read news >>

Nova Uniao coach talks Renan Barao at 145, champion Jose Aldo's December return

Will Barao move up to featherweight after his UFC on FOX 16 title loss? Can Aldo compete before the end of the year? Those questions answered, and more, by Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras ... read news >>

Chad Mendes ‘tired of hearing about' Duane Ludwig: ‘We made Duane'

It's been over a year since Duane Ludwig left his post as head coach of Team Alpha Male, and frankly, Chad Mendes is sick of hearing about it. Ludwig, who continues to coach UFC bantamweight champion read news >>

Jose Aldo hopes teammate Renan Barao moves up to featherweight following loss to T.J. Dillashaw

RIO DE JANEIRO -- UFC president Dana White believes former bantamweight champion Renan Barao "should probably move up" to 145 pounds following a second TKO loss to T.J. Dillashaw, and the biggest sta read news >>

Jose Aldo: Injured ribs feel 'great,' awaiting UFC to schedule Conor McGregor bout

"Junior" is healing up and back to training. Now, if he could just make it to fight day ... Jose Aldo has undergone a drastic transformation in the public eye over the last several months ... albeit read news >>

The MMA Hour with Miesha Tate, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Chad Mendes, Ray Sefo, Dustin Poirier, Gene LeBell, Michael Lunardell

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life on Tuesday. Below is a rundown of the show: 1:00 p.m. ET -- World Series of Fighting president Ray Sefo will discuss Rousimar Palhares' controversial read news >>