Cub Swanson won't beg the UFC for a title shot against Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes winner

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

Video: Jose Aldo shoves Chad Mendes during their UFC 179 media day to promote the upcoming "Aldo vs. Mendes 2" pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sat., Oct. 25, 2014, inside the Maracanãzinho Gymnasium in R read news >>

During staredowns at UFC 179 media day, UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo shoved Chad Mendes at Maracana Stadium on Tuesday morning. read news >>

Looks like someone saw the attention that Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier got for their media day brawl. read news >>

No UFC officials were thrown off the stage, and no shoes were hurled. Nonetheless, things got a bit heated at today’s UFC 179 press conference in Rio de Janeiro.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Vide read news >>

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is not a pay-per-view king, so he decided to spice things up heading to his rematch with Chad Mendes at UFC 179 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Oct. 25. The Nova Un read news >>

Furthermore, the 145-pound champion says the only reason "Money" has racked up five straight wins since losing to him two years ago is because he's fighting competition that isn't well-ranked. Since read news >>

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Top featherweight Chad Mendes spoke to the Brazilian media at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro about his upcoming bout with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo on Oct. 25 in read news >>

Apparently, shoving your opponent during a staredown is the new trend among UFC fighters. Less than one month after Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier's infamous brawl at the UFC 178 media day in Las Vegas read news >>