Cub Swanson won't beg the UFC for a title shot against Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes winner

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment.

So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion?

It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the same Jose Aldo who blitzed Swanson in 2009, beating him in eight seconds on his way to the WEC title, one he's still holding to this day. It's been an uphill battle to convince the powers that be that Swanson is ready for another crack at the crown.

He doesn't really help himself when taking such a blase attitude when asked at the post-fight press conference:

"For me, winning the title is just like a dream. It's something I want to do so bad but it's just something I feel like is going to come to me if I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I keep doing what I'm supposed to do, it will come. So I just don't feel like I have to beg or try to ask for it. If I just keep putting on good performances, it will come. ... I'm not really one to cry about things. I'm just excited to be in the position I'm in. I've worked real hard. If another fight was a good opportunity for me then I would take it. I'm not really trying to wait forever, so we'll see what happens."

With UFC President Dana White not in attendance, it's harder to know whether or not Swanson is "in the mix" and whether or not "we'll see" about his getting a title shot against the winner of the Aldo vs. Chad Mendes bout scheduled for UFC 176 on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles.

Stay tuned!

For complete UFC Fight Night 44 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here.

Former UFC featherweight title challengers Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas will lock horns in the main event of UFC Fight Night 63 on April 4 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Virginia. Per a report by read news >>

LAS VEGAS – If victorious later this month, Conor McGregor will get a title shot, and “it’ll be the biggest fight that division has ever had.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo had some choice words for Irishman Conor McGregor in his Q&A session ahead of the weigh-ins. Several months ago, Conor McGregor took part in a Q&A session ahead o read news >>

The UFC’s return to Virginia after nearly three years has its main event as top featherweights Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas meet at UFC Fight Night 63 on April 4.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A featherweight bout between former title challengers Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas will headline the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s trip to Fairtex, Va., on April 4. read news >>

It'll be a battle of recent UFC featherweight title challengers, as Chad Mendes takes on Ricardo Lamas at UFC Fight Night in Fairfax, VA on April 4th. Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas are no stranger to read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is eliminating one top contender from the 145-pound title hunt, as Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas will hook 'em up in the main event of UFC Fight Night 63, accordi read news >>

Two of the UFC’s top featherweights will step in the Octagon to headline a special afternoon edition of UFC Fight Night, as Chad Mendes faces Ricardo Lamas. read news >>

Sorry, Ireland. Conor McGregor earned his fifth straight win under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner by obliterating Dennis Siver in the main event of UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston, Mass read news >>