Cub Swanson may have earned the judges’ approval Saturday night in the co-main event of UFC on Fuel TV 7, but the featherweight contender sees plenty of room for improvement in the wake of his victory over Dustin Poirier.

“I knew he was going to be a tough guy, but I just know that I’m sharper than that,” Swanson told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory. “I was really frustrated about that, and I know I have to do better. I did enough to get the win, and I’m proud of that, but I could be better.”

Poirier did appear to be the tighter -- though not necessarily the more effective -- striker during their featherweight bout at Wembley Arena in London. However, Swanson managed to connect several times with hard, looping shots, notably clipping “The Diamond” with a sweeping uppercut in the first frame.

“I’m a lot more accurate than that. He did a pretty good job of holding back just enough,” said Swanson. “I give him credit. He was a lot trickier than I thought. My hat’s off to him. He was talking some trash, and I was like, ‘My apologies, but I won it.’”

Swanson consistently stuffed Poirier’s takedown attempts through a competitive first 10 minutes between the world-ranked 145-pounders. In round three, it was Swanson who shot for a takedown after Poirier began to find his range. While the decision resulted in Swanson winning the final round and the fight, the Jackson’s MMA product was nevertheless injured in the process.

“When I took him down, I landed on my head and my thumb at the same time. I’m glad I didn’t knock myself out,” said Swanson. “I bent my thumbnail back, and it started bleeding pretty good. That really hurt, but it’s cool. It’s part of the job I chose.”

The hard-fought victory should move Swanson further up the featherweight ladder, inching him one step closer to a rematch with reigning champion Jose Aldo. Swanson was initially supposed to face Dennis Siver on Saturday evening, but the German withdrew from their bout, leaving Poirier to fill in. Though a meeting with Siver would certainly make sense at this juncture, Swanson said he will be ready for whomever the UFC throws at him.

“I think [Siver] should fight another guy first. I could see [myself fighting Chan Sung Jung] or [having] a rematch with [Ricardo] Lamas,” said Swanson. “I’m trying to dominate these opponents, not just win. I’m going to go back in the gym and work it. I’m hungry.”

Why quick wins may not always be better for dominant champ Ronda Rousey

If you want a clear indicator of just how dominant champion Ronda Rousey is, consider that the big question fans and media are debating ahead of her main event bout at UFC 190 isn’t whether she’ll be read news >>

UFC 190: Latest Rousey vs. Correia Odds, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-In Hype

The dominant Ronda Rousey will put her unbeaten record on the line once again in a women's bantamweight title fight unlike any other, facing fellow unbeaten Bethe Correia in Saturday night's UFC 190 read news >>

Ronda Rousey More Than Just the World's 'Most Dominant Athlete'

Perfection is a false construct. But in the here and now, Ronda Rousey, dubbed the world's most dominant athlete by Jon Wertheim of Sports Illustrated, seems as close to perfect as one might get. It' read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia photo gallery from UFC 190

Check out all the photos from UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey’s dominant title defense over Bethe Correia.Filed under: News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey's 5 First-Round Wins in Title Fights Makes UFC History

Fact: Ronda Rousey's five first-round wins in title fights are the most in UFC history. Bleacher Report will be bringing sports fans the most interesting and engaging Cold Hard Fact of the day, prese read news >>

WSOF 22: Abubakar Nurmagomedov vs. Jorge Moreno video highlights

LAS VEGAS – Abubakar Nurmagomedov made a successful WSOF debut and earned a dominant unanimous-decision victory over fellow welterweight Jorge Moreno..Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Rousey vs. Correia Results: Winner, Recap and Reaction from UFC 190

Ronda Rousey's legend as the most dominant force in MMA continued with a first-round TKO win over Bethe Correia in the main event of UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. MMAjunkie tweeted out the light read news >>

UFC 190 results: Shogun Rua wins unpopular unanimous decision over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) hoped that Maurico Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira could recapture the magic of their epic battle at Pride FC: "Critical Countdown" tonight (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) read news >>

UFC 190 results: Reginaldo Vieira wins 'TUF: Brazil 4' 135 title vs. Dileno Lopes

RIO DE JANEIRO – After a fight that saw dueling guillotine choke attempts, wild striking exchanges, and lots of blood, Reginaldo Vieira just edged out Dileno Lopes to win the bantamweight final of “T read news >>

UFC 190 results: Stefan Struve batters zombie-like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, wins unanimous decision over fast fading le

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, 39, was looking to turn back time tonight (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) at the expense of Stefan Struve -- who is 12 years his junior -- at UFC 190, which took place inside HSBC Aren read news >>