Cub Swanson wants to set the record straight.

Last Friday, Swanson appeared on the Sherdog Radio Network's “Beatdown” program opposite co-hosts T.J. De Santis and Jeff Sherwood, the latter of which asked Swanson if the oft-replayed nature of his 2009 knockout defeat to Jose Aldo made the featherweight yearn more intensely for another crack at “Scarface.”

“It does, but it's been a while. I've put it past me,” Swanson replied. “I know that I could win that fight 10 out of 10 times if we did it again. It's not even an issue to me anymore. I would actually love for my brother to fight him. [My brother] is more of an up-and-comer, which I feel is more of a fair fight.”

Swanson returned to “Beatdown” on Wednesday to clarify that comment, which Swanson says was made in reference to a potential rematch with former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver, who submitted Swanson with a guillotine choke nearly five years ago at WEC 31.

“We were going back and forth about different past opponents, and that was a mental error on my side,” Swanson said of his previous “Beatdown” appearance. “I was talking about Jens Pulver, and I thought you guys had asked me about a rematch with him. That's why I said that was a long time ago and that I had put it past me.

“No, [I don't want my brother to fight Aldo.] My brother is a [flyweight], and he fights at 135 [pounds] as well, but that's the fight that I would love for my brother to have -- with Jens. Jose Aldo is the fight that I want.”

Swanson then further elaborated on a hypothetical return bout with Aldo. While he may have misspoken in regard to the “10 out of 10 times” comment, that does not mean the Jackson's MMA representative would back down if he were given another opportunity to fight the UFC featherweight king.

“I don't feel that [a rematch with Aldo] would play out like it did that time,” said Swanson. “I feel like that was a once-in-a-longtime type of thing, and it's not going to happen again. If we fought again, I'm very confident, and I think it would be a hell of a fight.

“Personally, I've grown up a lot mentally [since the first bout]. I don't get nerves like I used to. I feel that the key for me is just being calm and confident,” Swanson continued. “In that fight, I was very one-track-minded, and I just felt like I had to do one thing right off the bat. It was too close-minded for me and not really my usual game plan, and it backfired.”

Swanson admits that the fallout from his initial comment has been frustrating. Though the featherweight feels sure of his abilities as a potential challenger to Aldo's throne, he does not want that confidence to be mistaken for arrogance.

“People want to be quick to remind you of what happened, but I feel like I've earned the respect to get another shot,” said Swanson. “It sucks getting people talking crap to you for something you didn't say or didn't mean to say. I just don't want to be seen as somebody who's a cocky jerk. I'm going to say that I'm confident in my ability, but I'm not ignorant [enough] to say that I'm going to demolish every fighter out there and that nobody has a chance against me. That's not me.”

UFC 206: The Thrill and The Agony Video | MMAWeekly.com

Go behind the scenes for the highs and lows of UFC 206 featuring Cub Swanson, Dooho Choi, Donald Cerrone, Matt Brown, Anthony Pettis, and Max Holloway. read news >>

Jose Aldo on Max Holloway Fight: 'I Don't See Where He Can Beat Me' | MMAWeekly.com

Featherweight champion Jose Aldo says that he's fighting interim titleholder Max Holloway at UFC 208 in February and doesn't see where Holloway can beat him. read news >>

Manager explains why Max Holloway isn't fighting Jose Aldo at UFC 208

Max Holloway and Jose Aldo won’t be fighting to unify the UFC featherweight championship at UFC 208. That much is clear.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway Comments on Jose Aldo, Not Fighting at UFC 208

UFC fighter Max Holloway saw Jose Aldo's Tuesday interview with Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting and wasn't happy about it. Aldo said Holloway knew they were supposed to fight at UFC 208 in Brooklyn, Ne read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Jose Aldo's claim of declined title fight: 'I do not bully the little'

It didn’t take Khabib Nurmagomedov long to fire back at Jose Aldo after the UFC featherweight champion hinted that “The Eagle” turned down an interim lightweight title fight with him.Filed under: New read news >>

Jose Aldo and Max Holloway Butt Heads Over Nixing of UFC 208 Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Aldo and Max Holloway are butting heads over why they won't be unifying their featherweight titles at UFC 208 in Brooklyn. read news >>

Jose Aldo's Next Fight May Be for a UFC Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

With the proposed featherweight championship unification bout out of consideration for UFC 208, could we see Jose Aldo in an interim lightweight title fight? read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Doesn't Want to Bully Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov admits that he doesn't want to fight Jose Aldo... because he's not a bully. read news >>

Coach Andre Pederneiras details Jose Aldo's 155-pound title plans, says UFC was on board

Jose Aldo has always been very clear about his intentions of avenging his loss to Conor McGregor – in whatever division that may be. But as he prepares to follow that journey, he doesn't quite unders read news >>

Jose Aldo Says Conor McGregor Never Was Featherweight Champ | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Aldo admits Conor McGregor defeated him, but says he never stopped being the champion. read news >>