Cub Swanson: ‘10 Out of 10 Times’ Comment in Reference to Jens Pulver Rematch, Not Jose Aldo

• submit to reddit

Cub Swanson wants to set the record straight.

Last Friday, Swanson appeared on the Sherdog Radio Network's “Beatdown” program opposite co-hosts T.J. De Santis and Jeff Sherwood, the latter of which asked Swanson if the oft-replayed nature of his 2009 knockout defeat to Jose Aldo made the featherweight yearn more intensely for another crack at “Scarface.”

“It does, but it's been a while. I've put it past me,” Swanson replied. “I know that I could win that fight 10 out of 10 times if we did it again. It's not even an issue to me anymore. I would actually love for my brother to fight him. [My brother] is more of an up-and-comer, which I feel is more of a fair fight.”

Swanson returned to “Beatdown” on Wednesday to clarify that comment, which Swanson says was made in reference to a potential rematch with former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver, who submitted Swanson with a guillotine choke nearly five years ago at WEC 31.

“We were going back and forth about different past opponents, and that was a mental error on my side,” Swanson said of his previous “Beatdown” appearance. “I was talking about Jens Pulver, and I thought you guys had asked me about a rematch with him. That's why I said that was a long time ago and that I had put it past me.

“No, [I don't want my brother to fight Aldo.] My brother is a [flyweight], and he fights at 135 [pounds] as well, but that's the fight that I would love for my brother to have -- with Jens. Jose Aldo is the fight that I want.”

Swanson then further elaborated on a hypothetical return bout with Aldo. While he may have misspoken in regard to the “10 out of 10 times” comment, that does not mean the Jackson's MMA representative would back down if he were given another opportunity to fight the UFC featherweight king.

“I don't feel that [a rematch with Aldo] would play out like it did that time,” said Swanson. “I feel like that was a once-in-a-longtime type of thing, and it's not going to happen again. If we fought again, I'm very confident, and I think it would be a hell of a fight.

“Personally, I've grown up a lot mentally [since the first bout]. I don't get nerves like I used to. I feel that the key for me is just being calm and confident,” Swanson continued. “In that fight, I was very one-track-minded, and I just felt like I had to do one thing right off the bat. It was too close-minded for me and not really my usual game plan, and it backfired.”

Swanson admits that the fallout from his initial comment has been frustrating. Though the featherweight feels sure of his abilities as a potential challenger to Aldo's throne, he does not want that confidence to be mistaken for arrogance.

“People want to be quick to remind you of what happened, but I feel like I've earned the respect to get another shot,” said Swanson. “It sucks getting people talking crap to you for something you didn't say or didn't mean to say. I just don't want to be seen as somebody who's a cocky jerk. I'm going to say that I'm confident in my ability, but I'm not ignorant [enough] to say that I'm going to demolish every fighter out there and that nobody has a chance against me. That's not me.”

UFC 176 received a huge blow tonight as Featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against Chad Mendes in the main event.
More bad Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) news.
UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury and will be unable to defend his 145-pound title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176, which takes place at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 2, 2014.
No official statement was released from the promotion y more

Chad Mendes hopes the second time will be the charm when he travels to enemy territory once again to take on UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo.
UFC President Dana White spilled the beans on the featherweight title scrap on Saturday night during the UFC on Fox 12 post-fight press conference. The rematch between Aldo and Mendes will now take place at UFC 179 on October 25 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
“[Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes] is the fight [to headline the Brazil card],” White confirmed. “I’m prob more

Chad Mendes will have to wait a little longer to get his second shot at the UFC title.
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury that will force him out of his seventh UFC title defense on August 2 in Los Angeles, California, against the Alpha Male product, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight on FOX Sports 1.
UFC president Dana White confirmed the news, but there’s no word yet on a new main event for UFC 176.
Mendes earned his second U more

UFC 176's main event featherweight title fight has been wiped out for now thanks to an injury to the champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

The injury bug has bitten Jose Aldo once again. more

UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and won't be able to defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176.
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Fox Sports 1 that UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and his UFC 176 headliner against Chad Mendes is cancelled.
This is terrible news for Jose Aldo fans who have had to endure cancelled fight after long injury induced layoffs between rare opportunites to see their man in the Octagon. Since becoming the UFC Featherwei more

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is injured and out of the pay-per-view main event against Chad Mendes, according to a report from UFC Tonight on Wednesday. more

The UFC got some bad news Wednesday when word came that Jose Aldo, the UFC featherweight champ and one of the two or three finest fighters in the world at any class, is once again relegated to the shelf after sustaining another injury.
Aldo was set to defend his belt Aug. 2 at UFC 176 in a rematch with Chad Mendes. There was no immediate word on a new main event for the card, or the nature of the injury that sidelined Aldo.
The news was first reported by broadcaster Ariel Helwani on the UFC Toni more

It looks like "Money's" much-desired rematch against the featherweight champion is still on track... just at a later date. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo was forced to withdraw from his upcoming rematch against Chad Mendes, which was supposed to go down at UFC 176 on Aug., 2, 2014 in Los Angeles, Calif., after suffering a neck injury in training.
Read the initial report here.
But not all hope is lost for Mendes and fight fans alike, as UFC President Dana Whi more