Cruz Avenges Lone Loss at UFC 132; Vows to ‘Stay Hungry’


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Dominick Cruz (file photo) avenged his only loss Saturday night in Las Vegas at UFC 132. | Photo: Sherdog.com


Dominick Cruz finally got the monkey off his back at UFC 132, as the promotion's reigning bantamweight champion successfully defended his belt against the only man to ever beat him in Urijah Faber.

With his victory on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Cruz evened the score with “The California Kid,” furthering his status as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet.

“I really felt that I had the opportunity to either make history or become history, and everything inside me said I was going to make history this evening, and I did it,” said Cruz in a postfight interview with UFC.com.

Cruz and Faber first met in 2007 at WEC 26, clashing over Faber's featherweight title. The bout ended quickly, with Faber sinking one of his trademark arm-in guillotines and forcing Cruz to submit just 98 seconds into the contest.

By contrast, tonight's bout could not have looked more different, as the five-round title tilt taxed and tested both Cruz and Faber's skill and resolve for a full 25 minutes. In the end, however, it was Cruz who was validated, his volume-punching and movement winning out in the eyes of the judges.

“I had to get [Faber's] timing,” said Cruz. “I knew that the knees up the middle were going to work, because he runs in real hard and powerful. It took me a minute to time him, because he feints and he is quick; but that fourth round, I finally had his timing. I landed that jump-knee, and I think I rocked him a little bit.”

Though the pre-fight buildup was filled with tension from both sides, Cruz gave Faber his due following the contest, complimenting the former champion's power on multiple occasions. Faber floored the champ several times during their rematch, but Cruz was always able to spring right back to his feet and reset his unpredictable standup attack.

In addition to the general distaste between the two parties, also easily noticed in the weeks leading up to the event was Cruz's growing irritation with questions about his loss to Faber. If the fighter has his way, he'll never again have to answer another query about the lone loss on his record.

“I wanted to go out there and get that loss back. I’m undefeated, now, baby,” said Cruz. “I think [the win] will get people to quit asking me if I’m going to get that loss back from Urijah, because I got it.”

Though he champ likely just earned the sweetest win of his career, Cruz has no plans to become content with his accomplishments. Rather, the champ's new, clean slate now has him scanning the horizon for future competition.

“Let's talk about me owning the title and keeping it for as long as possible. I’m hungry, baby. I’m going to keep staying hungry, and I’m going to keep winning.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 24 days ago
  • 32 views

Welcome back, Dominick Cruz. The former UFC bantamweight champion Cruz has been out of action since the fall of 2011, but he will make his return to the Octagon nearly three years later at UFC 178. Cruz teased his fight earlier in the day prior to the revelation of who his opponent would be. Cruz confirmed his return bout to ESPN on Tuesday evening, and he will go opposite No. 5-ranked Takeya Mizugaki. Mizugaki has been on a roll in recent fights. The former WEC title contender has reeled off fi read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 2452 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz finally has a return date set, but being at the sidelines for this long has already cost him millions. Dominick Cruz became the consensus number 1 bantamweight when he first won the WEC strap back in 2010. He has defended that belt twice with the promotion, and twice more as the UFC titlist, establishing himself as one of the most unique and promising champions in the sport. Multiple injuries have sidelined him for almost 3 years, and not only did h read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 70 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to return to the cage after nearly three years on the shelf. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 41 views

We’ll try this one more time. It will be just shy of three years to the day, but Dominick Cruz once again has a date mapped out for his return. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 38 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz will get a meaningful fight in his long-awaited return to action. Cruz, who has been sidelined by injuries for the past two-and-a-half years, will meet veteran Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178 on Sept. 27 in Las Vegas. ESPN.com reported the bout on Tuesday. The San Diego-based fighter was world bantamweight champion dating back to winning the WEC title from Brian Bowles on March 6, 2010, in Columbus, Ohio. A successful defense against Scott Jorgensen on t read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 71 views

Dominick Cruz's first fight in nearly 3 full years is official for UFC 178 in Las Vegas. The last time Dominick Cruz fought in the UFC, the promotion had ongoing contracts with Versus and Spike TV, the flyweight division didn't exist, and Jon Jones was a week removed from his first title defense. After a series of injuries forced Cruz to vacate his bantamweight belt, the former champion is set to make his comeback on September 27th. ESPN's Brett Okamoto confirmed that Cruz will fight top 10 rank read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 138 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to make his long-awaited return at UFC 178 against Takeya Mizugaki, UFC officials confirmed on Tuesday evening. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 43 views

Cruz looks to take his first step back to the division title against a familiar face in "Sin City." Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight kingpin Dominick Cruz will finally make his Octagon return when he battles fellow World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) import Takeya Mizugaki at the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for Sept. 27, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. ESPN.com brought word of the match up earlier today. It will be nearly three years since Cruz (19-1) las read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 142 views

The MMA Hour is back in your life on Monday. Below is a rundown of who will be stopping by and when: 1:00 p.m. ET -- Dominick Cruz will discuss his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 178 against Takeya Mizugaki. 1:25 p.m. -- Dustin Poirier will talk about his simmering feud with Conor McGregor, who beat Diego Brandao on Saturday. 1:45 p.m. -- Dennis Bermudez will preview his UFC on FOX 12 fight against Clay Guida. 2:05 p.m. -- Tom Egan, the first Irish fighter to compete in the UFC, will read news >>