Dominick Cruz (file photo) avenged his only loss Saturday night in Las Vegas at UFC 132. | Photo:

Dominick Cruz finally got the monkey off his back at UFC 132, as the promotion's reigning bantamweight champion successfully defended his belt against the only man to ever beat him in Urijah Faber.

With his victory on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Cruz evened the score with “The California Kid,” furthering his status as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet.

“I really felt that I had the opportunity to either make history or become history, and everything inside me said I was going to make history this evening, and I did it,” said Cruz in a postfight interview with

Cruz and Faber first met in 2007 at WEC 26, clashing over Faber's featherweight title. The bout ended quickly, with Faber sinking one of his trademark arm-in guillotines and forcing Cruz to submit just 98 seconds into the contest.

By contrast, tonight's bout could not have looked more different, as the five-round title tilt taxed and tested both Cruz and Faber's skill and resolve for a full 25 minutes. In the end, however, it was Cruz who was validated, his volume-punching and movement winning out in the eyes of the judges.

“I had to get [Faber's] timing,” said Cruz. “I knew that the knees up the middle were going to work, because he runs in real hard and powerful. It took me a minute to time him, because he feints and he is quick; but that fourth round, I finally had his timing. I landed that jump-knee, and I think I rocked him a little bit.”

Though the pre-fight buildup was filled with tension from both sides, Cruz gave Faber his due following the contest, complimenting the former champion's power on multiple occasions. Faber floored the champ several times during their rematch, but Cruz was always able to spring right back to his feet and reset his unpredictable standup attack.

In addition to the general distaste between the two parties, also easily noticed in the weeks leading up to the event was Cruz's growing irritation with questions about his loss to Faber. If the fighter has his way, he'll never again have to answer another query about the lone loss on his record.

“I wanted to go out there and get that loss back. I’m undefeated, now, baby,” said Cruz. “I think [the win] will get people to quit asking me if I’m going to get that loss back from Urijah, because I got it.”

Though he champ likely just earned the sweetest win of his career, Cruz has no plans to become content with his accomplishments. Rather, the champ's new, clean slate now has him scanning the horizon for future competition.

“Let's talk about me owning the title and keeping it for as long as possible. I’m hungry, baby. I’m going to keep staying hungry, and I’m going to keep winning.”

The Real Jon Jones Appears to (Finally) Emerge in Captivating Interview

For all of the accolades heaped upon Jon Jones during a fighting career that has been nearly unrivaled, one bit of criticism has always followed him. No matter how many top light heavyweights he disp read news >>

Jon Jones Goes Deep in First Interview Since UFC Reinstatement (Video)

Jon Jones has finally broken his media silence, going deep in his first extended interview since the UFC reinstated him following a hit-and-run accident in April. read news >>

The ’Hungry lion,’ Diego Sanchez, deliriously dishes on featherweight fight

Diego Sanchez has 12 pounds to cut to make the 146-pound limit required for his next fight, and he’s feeling every ounce missing from his frame.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vide read news >>

UFC 193 winner Danny Martinez now focused on helping Dominick Cruz regain title

MELBOURNE, Australia – Danny Martinez had to fight in the UFC four times over 21 months before he tasted victory in the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey provides health update in post-UFC 193 comments, says she'll 'be back'

Ronda Rousey has finally spoke following the shocking loss of her UFC women’s bantamweight title in Saturday’s UFC 193 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After Ronda Rousey's Weeklong Theater of the Absurd, It's Finally Time to Fight

Is there a fight in here somewhere, or did I hallucinate that? It turns out that, magically, it was not just a dream. Ronda Rousey is, indeed, an MMA fighter, and she will indeed fight. In fact, it's read news >>

UFC 193 Embedded, Episode 2: ‘This Belt Gonna Stay With Me’

On Episode 2 of UFC 193 Embedded, the card’s stars continue to train hard to compete at the UFC’s biggest-ever event. read news >>

Michael McDonald to Finally Return at UFC 195

One-time UFC title challenger Michael McDonald is finally returning to the Octagon. read news >>

Daniel Straus Won the Bellator Belt with a Clipped Wing

Daniel Straus finally got a victory of Patricio "Pitbull" Freire and recaptured the Bellator belt, but it wasn't without a price. read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>