Cowboy Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis On Deck?


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Ask and you shall receive is the motto for Dana White after lightweight Donald Cerrone earned two post-fight bonuses at UFC 150.

A few weeks ago, Cerrone accused former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis of ducking him.  But since Cerrone had a fight with former teammate Melvin Guillard in Denver on tap, he couldn’t afford to overlook his opponent.

Since then, Pettis has responded in kind and has stated that if the fight were offered, he’d be more than happy to oblige.

“Yeah, he made some comments about me on twitter and then people were like he’s not saying anything to you back,” Cerrone said on the UFC Post-Fight Show on Fuel TV.   “Anthony is the fight I want and I’m looking forward to it.  As soon as it happens, I’ll sign it, train it and let’s do it man.  Let’s not talk back-and-forth on Twitter; let’s just make it happen.”

Now that UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar II is all said and done, White likes the idea of the former WEC lightweights going head-to-head.

“Yeah, I like it, sounds like a great idea,” he said on Saturday night.

An official date for the bout has not been set yet, but Cerrone remains anxious to meet Pettis on the other side of the Octagon. Despite angering Pettis, Cerrone now wants to back away from any pre-fight antics and move forward with a clear head.

“I got to try and control my emotions when I fight,” Cerrone said at the post-fight press conference.  “My emotions don’t end up too well, so I’m just going to stay away from all the crap talking.  We got to do what we got to do; the fight is going to get signed.  So sign, train hard and I’ll see you when I see you.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 10 days ago
  • 8 views

Anthony Pettis will defend his UFC lightweight title December 6 against top contender Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181.
The fight will be Pettis' first title defense. For that matter, it's the first bout of any kind for "Showtime" since he won the belt from Benson Henderson last August at UFC 164.
Pettis himself broke the news Monday while a guest on The MMA Hour broadcast with host Ariel Helwani. "December 6 is going to be the date of my next fight; it'll be out here in Vegas," Pettis said. "I got w more

  • 29 days ago
  • 35 views

On Monday, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and former Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez began filming the twentieth season of The Ultimate Fighter in Las Vegas, NV. While the show has, in large part, become formulaic and stale, especially after a recent listless nineteenth season, this upcoming iteration at least promises a few fresh caveats, as it will not only introduce a brand new weight class to UFC audiences -- the women's 115-pound division -- but it will also crown a new ch more

  • 26 days ago
  • 183 views

LAS VEGAS - UFC president Dana White held his annual Fan Expo question-and-answer session with the fans on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As usual, the event was a mix of the serious, the less serious, and the absurd, ranging from detailed questions about the company's business to painful-to-watch attempts at business pitches.
One thing the UFC boss did indicate, however, is that he could very well by on the same wavelength as the fans who want the much-discussed potential Ander more

  • 25 days ago
  • 138 views

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses job opportunities in the UFC, Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz, Joe Rogan's fighting future, Gina Carano, Georges St-Pierre, and much more Friday evening at the UFC Fan Expo. more

  • 25 days ago
  • 40 views

UFC President Dana White believes Vitor Belfort is next in line for Chris Weidman's middleweight title but has to wait and see how things unfold with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Dana White believes the logical opponent for Chris Weidman is the same one that was initially supposed to face: Vitor Belfort.
Although it seems like an obvious suggestion, the Brazilian is in quite a problematic situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which could complicate matter significantly if more

  • 25 days ago
  • 61 views

UFC President Dana White was once again on hand late last night (Sat., July 5, 2014) to tie a ribbon around UFC 175, which took place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. White made himself available to review "Weidman vs. Machida" with mixed martial arts (MMA) media members, discuss several other hot topics (like this one) and much, much more. Watch the full video replay above and see for yourself. Enjoy! Be sure to also check out our complete UFC 175 story stream, including resu more

  • 25 days ago
  • 60 views

Watch the media scrum with Dana White following the UFC 175 post-fight press conference more

  • 24 days ago
  • 62 views

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s injury won’t keep him from a rematch with No. 1 contender Chad Mendes.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 24 days ago
  • 38 views

According to UFC President Dana White, Chad Mendes can still receive his rematch with featherweight champion Jose Aldo, he just won't get it on Aug. 2 at UFC 176 as originally scheduled. MMA Junkie's Steven Marrocco reported that White remains willing to reschedule the rematch, and the UFC president is not yet looking for a replacement for the injured champion. “Aldo is going to be out 45 days – the Mendes/Aldo fight can still happen," White said. After Frankie Edgar's lopsided TKO victory over more