Costa Philippou and Riki Fukuda at UFC 148Constantinos Philippou is quickly emerging as the dark horse in the UFC’s middleweight division.

Since the Cypriot’s first loss in the Octagon, he has grown leaps and bounds as a fighter, embarking on a four-fight win streak over the likes of Jorge Rivera, Court McGee, and Riki Fukuda.

As Philippou readies for battle, he’s discovered that the bright lights are on him this time as he fights on the main card against Nick Ring at UFC 154: St. Pierre vs. Condit. Although those bright lights are on and it’d be easy to stare into a future of title contention, Philippou isn’t being blinded. He has ate, slept and breathed this fight well before he even arrived in Montreal.

“I feel that things are moving towards the right direction and I feel that if I keep winning that everything else will come,” Philippou told MMAWeekly Radio.

“But right now, talking about a title shot doesn’t even cross my mind.  To be honest, I don’t even care.  Right now, I’m saying Nick Ring.  I wake up and I’m thinking Nick Ring.  I go to sleep and I’m thinking Nick Ring.  Now, winning this fight would definitely put me on the map and I’ll officially be a contender.

“Other than that, I just want to win my next fight and I’ll take it from there.  I’m not even thinking about world opponents or how many fights it’ll take to the title.  I’ll do one fight at a time and you can’t look over Nick Ring, Nick Ring is an amazing fighter.  All my focus is on Nick right now and if everything goes my way, we’ll talk again after the fight.”

Although Philippou would be the first one to tell you he’s ready to make the jump to fight a contender, his full focus remains on making a lasting impression against Nick Ring at UFC 154. And the Serra-Llongo Fight Team protégé makes it no secret that he intends to box with his Canadian opponent en route to victory.

“There’s no secret to what I’m going to do or what I usually do; I’m going to go in and strike with the guy.  I see Nick Ring as more of a jiu-jitsu practitioner.  I know that he chooses to strike most of his fights, but from what they told me, he’s a brown belt in jiu-jitsu and a very good jiu-jitsu practitioner.

“I’m looking to go out there and show my ability to fight and put on a great show.  After the crowd goes home and they say, ‘Oh, who’s that guy who knocked Nick Ring out? That guy is amazing.’ That’s my plan going out there, to put on a good enough show for them to remember after the next day or the following week.  I don’t want to go out there and roll around or hold each other and be a boring fight.  I want a highlight with it being the fight that you want to see again.”

At the end of the day, the importance of this fight against Ring weighs heavily on Philippou’s mind.  Although he blocks out the glamor that comes with an impressive performance, he knows that a win should put him on the right path towards middleweight contention.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC 154 news and fight coverage.

Stephen Thompson Plans to 'Muhammad Ali' Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is prepared for his first UFC title fight and plans to 'Muhammad Ali' champion Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 205's Karolina Kowalkiewicz plans to give champ Jedrzejczyk 'hardest fight of her life'

NEW YORK – No one has been able to figure out the puzzle that is UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. However, UFC 205 challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz insists she’s going to be the one to ge read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Plans Move to Lightweight Following Featherweight Fight in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Following his Bellator 164 bout in Israel, Georgi Karakhanyan plans to leave featherweight behind and make the move to lightweight for some pivotal bouts. read news >>

Eduard Folayang Plans to Prove the World Wrong in Shinya Aoki Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang knows that he is considered a long shot to defeat Shinya Aoki at ONE: Defending Honor, but he plans to prove the doubters wrong. read news >>

Former champ Miesha Tate plans to take some down time after UFC 205

NEW YORK – After a busy year, former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate is planning to take some time away from the sport following her upcoming UFC 205 bout with Raquel Pennington.Filed u read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping wants next defense at UFC 208, plans to retire when he drops belt

NEW YORK – With a record-tying 27 UFC fights to his name, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has put a time limit on his career – and it’s set around the length of his title reign.Filed under: read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Carrington Banks Plans to 'Put Offense on Jake Roberts' at Bellator 165 | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten lightweight Carrington Banks takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jake Roberts at Bellator 165 at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

UFC rep: 3 events scheduled for Brazil in 2017

SAO PAULO – The UFC plans to promote three events in Brazil in 2017, the same number held this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo 'knew' Conor McGregor's belt would be stripped; plans title defense and then rematch

Newly minted UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo said it was inevitable Conor McGregor would have to give up one of his titles. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>