Cory Vom BaurAt the recent CageSport event, up-and-coming 135-pound fighter Cory Vom Baur took the next step in his career by securing the promotion’s interim bantamweight championship with a fifth round submission of fellow prospect Josh Rettinghouse.

“I was really happy with the way I performed,” said Vom Baur. “I went out there and did what I hoped to do. I pushed the pace and kept moving forward. I wanted to show I was the best guy in this area and I did that and I have the title to show it.

“Having said that, I’m not satisfied because I’m always looking to improve and get better in all aspects of my game, because there’s always some guy out there training who is looking to take this title from me.”

Rettinghouse was a last-minute replacement for reigning champion Brandon Hempleman, but the change didn’t adversely affect Vom Baur.

“My game plan doesn’t ever really change that much. I go forward, I throw punches and I get takedowns and throw elbows and stay active,” Vom Baur said. “So as far as the opponent change, nothing really changed a whole lot.”

Vom Baur told MMAWeekly.com that he feels the win places him firmly on top of the Northwest bantamweight rankings.

“It was a big deal because I didn’t want to just win, I wanted to show that I was a dominant guy,” said Vom Baur. “(Rettinghouse) came out and fought a good fight, but I wanted to show that I was number one.

“Not to take anything away from him, he fought a great fight and I’m very fortunate, but I’m very glad to win the title and hope to hold onto it for a long time.”

With the interim title around his waist, Vom Baur was asked if he’d like a shot at the person he was originally supposed to face, Brandon Hempleman, and unify the 135-pound championship.

“I don’t know if he’s on The Ultimate Fighter because there’s a lot of rumors going around, but if he’s not on the show, yeah, I would love to have that fight and have the chance to prove I’m the champion,” replied Vom Baur.

“If he comes back and there are two champions, I want there to be one champion, and I want to be that one.”

Titles aside, Vom Baur’s goals for the remainder of 2013 are simple: keep improving and keep winning.

“I’m always ready to fight,” he said. “Somebody can call me up and have a fight for me the next day and I’ll take it. I don’t turn down fights.

“I don’t have any great goals or anything. My goal is just to improve and beat whoever they put in front of me.”

The legend of Dominick Cruz, and the quest to solidify it as fact

Dominick Cruz has fought so infrequently in recent years that he’s become something of an MMA myth. By throwing himself straight into the fire against champion T.J. Dillashaw, he gains a chance to be read news >>

RFA 34 results: Bojan Velickovic captures vacant welterweight title with submission win

Benjamin Smith had an opportunity to win back the welterweight beltwhen he met Bojan Velickovic in the main event of RFA 34. Unfortunately for Smith, Velickovic had other plans.Filed under: AXS TV Fi read news >>

FOX Sports suspends analyst Kenny Florian following plagiarism issue

FOX Sports has suspended former UFC fighter and current analyst Kenny Florian following his recent apology for plagiarism.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy not working with FBI on recent ISIS threat

So what happens when you’re apparently targeted by ISIS and notified by the FBI? If you’re Tim Kennedy, you stay ready and carry the proper tools. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC fighters' funniest USADA-testing stories: Guns, birthday suits, GPS coordinates

BOSTON – Thanks to a recent deal with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and the new UFC Anti-Doping Policy, fighters are getting tested more often, and they have plenty of stories about the process read news >>

Conor McGregor Did Not Appreciate Floyd Mayweather’s Racial Comments (Video)

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor responded to Floyd Mayweather's recent comments about race directed toward him and Ronda Rousey. read news >>

White: Ex-champ Cain Velasquez headed for back surgery, 4-week recovery expected

Cain Velasquez will reportedly undergo surgery following his most recent injury and fight withdrawal. According to Dana White, Velasquez is expected to make a complete recovery within four weeks of g read news >>

Patricky Freire on recent depression, stunning KO, callout of Melvin Guillard

Patricky Freire was not in a good place mentally after his loss to Derek Anderson at Bellator 147. The defeat led to issues with his family and even physical manifestations of stress.Filed under: Bel read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82's Joseph Benavidez still with Team Alpha Male despite mixed camp

Although Joseph Benavidez has spent recent weeks training alongside former UFC champ T.J. Dillashaw in Colorado, he said he wants to make it clear he hasn’t parted ways with Team Alpha Male the way D read news >>

Benson Henderson gets welterweight title shot vs. Koreshkov in Bellator 153 main event

Former UFC lightweight champion and recent Bellator acquisition Benson Henderson will get an immediate title shot at welterweight in his new home.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>