Cory Vom BaurAt the recent CageSport event, up-and-coming 135-pound fighter Cory Vom Baur took the next step in his career by securing the promotion’s interim bantamweight championship with a fifth round submission of fellow prospect Josh Rettinghouse.

“I was really happy with the way I performed,” said Vom Baur. “I went out there and did what I hoped to do. I pushed the pace and kept moving forward. I wanted to show I was the best guy in this area and I did that and I have the title to show it.

“Having said that, I’m not satisfied because I’m always looking to improve and get better in all aspects of my game, because there’s always some guy out there training who is looking to take this title from me.”

Rettinghouse was a last-minute replacement for reigning champion Brandon Hempleman, but the change didn’t adversely affect Vom Baur.

“My game plan doesn’t ever really change that much. I go forward, I throw punches and I get takedowns and throw elbows and stay active,” Vom Baur said. “So as far as the opponent change, nothing really changed a whole lot.”

Vom Baur told that he feels the win places him firmly on top of the Northwest bantamweight rankings.

“It was a big deal because I didn’t want to just win, I wanted to show that I was a dominant guy,” said Vom Baur. “(Rettinghouse) came out and fought a good fight, but I wanted to show that I was number one.

“Not to take anything away from him, he fought a great fight and I’m very fortunate, but I’m very glad to win the title and hope to hold onto it for a long time.”

With the interim title around his waist, Vom Baur was asked if he’d like a shot at the person he was originally supposed to face, Brandon Hempleman, and unify the 135-pound championship.

“I don’t know if he’s on The Ultimate Fighter because there’s a lot of rumors going around, but if he’s not on the show, yeah, I would love to have that fight and have the chance to prove I’m the champion,” replied Vom Baur.

“If he comes back and there are two champions, I want there to be one champion, and I want to be that one.”

Titles aside, Vom Baur’s goals for the remainder of 2013 are simple: keep improving and keep winning.

“I’m always ready to fight,” he said. “Somebody can call me up and have a fight for me the next day and I’ll take it. I don’t turn down fights.

“I don’t have any great goals or anything. My goal is just to improve and beat whoever they put in front of me.”

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

Despite skid, WSOF 33's Joao Zeferino doesn't see recent losses as setbacks

Joao Zeferino has a surprisingly positive outlook on the current status of his career. With back-to-back losses, Zeferino said he doesn’t feel an unordinary amount of pressure to get back on track wh read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson Results and Highlights

UFC 204 was one of the more exciting events in recent memory with just the first and last fights of the night going the distance, exceeding all expectations.Despite several injuries and losing one bo read news >>

Former UFC Heavyweight Shane Carwin to Fight with 1 Hand Tied Behind Back

Former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin is making his long-speculated return to combat sports on Saturday. However, he's not taking a traditional route. He will compete in a one-armed bo read news >>

Jose Aldo to Meet with UFC Executives in Las Vegas Amid Dispute

Jose Aldo, reigning UFC interim featherweight champion, could be laying the foundation for his exit from the UFC and the sport of MMA as an active fighter. MMA Fighting’s Guilherme Cruz reports that read news >>

UFC contender Demian Maia proud of lack of damage taken in recent fights

UFC welterweight contender Demian Maia has absorbed just 13 significant strikes in his past four fights combined. That's a statistic he can take pride in, because the jiu-jitsu ace has always preache read news >>

Nate Diaz taunts Conor McGregor after recent comments about trilogy fight

Nate Diaz fires back at Conor McGregor read news >>

Dana White Talks About Anderson Silva Being 'Mistreated'

Dana White believes Anderson Silva's recent comments on being disrespected by the UFC are ridiculous.Following Jose Aldo, MMA legend Anderson Silva has become the latest Brazilian fighter to ope read news >>

Anderson Silva backing down from recent criticism of UFC, offers brief apology to Dana White

As far as apologies go, Anderson Silva’s wasn’t exactly a major one. But a sorry is a sorry, and “The Spider” certainly took a step back from recent comments that were critical of the UFC. Filed unde read news >>

Matt Brown Faces Tarec Saffiedine at UFC 207 |

Struggling to find their footing in recent bouts, Matt Brown and Tarec Saffiedine will square off at UFC 207. read news >>