Cory Vom BaurAt the recent CageSport event, up-and-coming 135-pound fighter Cory Vom Baur took the next step in his career by securing the promotion’s interim bantamweight championship with a fifth round submission of fellow prospect Josh Rettinghouse.

“I was really happy with the way I performed,” said Vom Baur. “I went out there and did what I hoped to do. I pushed the pace and kept moving forward. I wanted to show I was the best guy in this area and I did that and I have the title to show it.

“Having said that, I’m not satisfied because I’m always looking to improve and get better in all aspects of my game, because there’s always some guy out there training who is looking to take this title from me.”

Rettinghouse was a last-minute replacement for reigning champion Brandon Hempleman, but the change didn’t adversely affect Vom Baur.

“My game plan doesn’t ever really change that much. I go forward, I throw punches and I get takedowns and throw elbows and stay active,” Vom Baur said. “So as far as the opponent change, nothing really changed a whole lot.”

Vom Baur told MMAWeekly.com that he feels the win places him firmly on top of the Northwest bantamweight rankings.

“It was a big deal because I didn’t want to just win, I wanted to show that I was a dominant guy,” said Vom Baur. “(Rettinghouse) came out and fought a good fight, but I wanted to show that I was number one.

“Not to take anything away from him, he fought a great fight and I’m very fortunate, but I’m very glad to win the title and hope to hold onto it for a long time.”

With the interim title around his waist, Vom Baur was asked if he’d like a shot at the person he was originally supposed to face, Brandon Hempleman, and unify the 135-pound championship.

“I don’t know if he’s on The Ultimate Fighter because there’s a lot of rumors going around, but if he’s not on the show, yeah, I would love to have that fight and have the chance to prove I’m the champion,” replied Vom Baur.

“If he comes back and there are two champions, I want there to be one champion, and I want to be that one.”

Titles aside, Vom Baur’s goals for the remainder of 2013 are simple: keep improving and keep winning.

“I’m always ready to fight,” he said. “Somebody can call me up and have a fight for me the next day and I’ll take it. I don’t turn down fights.

“I don’t have any great goals or anything. My goal is just to improve and beat whoever they put in front of me.”

Shane Carwin, 41, Probing Possible UFC Return

Former interim UFC heavyweight champion Shane Carwin, at 41 years of age, is delving into the idea of returning to the Octagon. read news >>

Trevin Giles Looking to Remain Unbeaten Against Josh Clark at RFA 41

Trevin Giles was slated to face recent UFC signee Tom Gigliotti at RFA 41 on July 29, but will now face Josh Clark in the evening’s middleweight main event. read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Talks PEDs, Brock Lesnar, and Chad Mendes

Urijah Faber reflects on his career and also shares his thoughts on Brock Lesnar and Chad Mendes’ recent involvement with PEDs. read news >>

UFC Salt Lake City Video: Yair Rodriguez – Creative Combat

Dynamic featherweight Yair Rodriguez looks to build on his recent success on Aug. 6 when he meets Alex Caceres in the main event of UFC Fight Night 92. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Rails on Association of Boxing Commissions’ Rules Changes (Video)

Chael Sonnen isn't cheering the ABC's recent MMA rules changes, particularly when it comes to the rule about what constitutes a downed fighter. read news >>

Superstars Blast Conor McGregor for Recent Comments About WWE Roster

Conor McGregor kicked a hornet's nest on Friday. Speaking with the media on a conference call to promote UFC 202, the pay-per-view kingpin was asked if he had any interest in making the jump to profe read news >>

Andrew Leone Injured, Tilek Batyrov Faces Adriano Moraes at ONE: Heroes of the World

The interim title match between Adriano Moraes and Andrew Leone has been nixed due to an injury. Kyrgyz flyweight Tilek Batyrov steps in to fight Moraes. read news >>

UFC 202 Free Fight: Conor McGregor Takes Out Chad Mendes for Interim Title

Conor McGregor finally earned UFC gold when he defeated Chad Mendes at UFC 189 for the interim featherweight title. read news >>

Conor McGregor Not Worried, but Plotting, After UFC Sale (Video)

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn't sweating the UFC's recent sale... he's plotting. read news >>