Cory Vom BaurAt the recent CageSport event, up-and-coming 135-pound fighter Cory Vom Baur took the next step in his career by securing the promotion’s interim bantamweight championship with a fifth round submission of fellow prospect Josh Rettinghouse.

“I was really happy with the way I performed,” said Vom Baur. “I went out there and did what I hoped to do. I pushed the pace and kept moving forward. I wanted to show I was the best guy in this area and I did that and I have the title to show it.

“Having said that, I’m not satisfied because I’m always looking to improve and get better in all aspects of my game, because there’s always some guy out there training who is looking to take this title from me.”

Rettinghouse was a last-minute replacement for reigning champion Brandon Hempleman, but the change didn’t adversely affect Vom Baur.

“My game plan doesn’t ever really change that much. I go forward, I throw punches and I get takedowns and throw elbows and stay active,” Vom Baur said. “So as far as the opponent change, nothing really changed a whole lot.”

Vom Baur told that he feels the win places him firmly on top of the Northwest bantamweight rankings.

“It was a big deal because I didn’t want to just win, I wanted to show that I was a dominant guy,” said Vom Baur. “(Rettinghouse) came out and fought a good fight, but I wanted to show that I was number one.

“Not to take anything away from him, he fought a great fight and I’m very fortunate, but I’m very glad to win the title and hope to hold onto it for a long time.”

With the interim title around his waist, Vom Baur was asked if he’d like a shot at the person he was originally supposed to face, Brandon Hempleman, and unify the 135-pound championship.

“I don’t know if he’s on The Ultimate Fighter because there’s a lot of rumors going around, but if he’s not on the show, yeah, I would love to have that fight and have the chance to prove I’m the champion,” replied Vom Baur.

“If he comes back and there are two champions, I want there to be one champion, and I want to be that one.”

Titles aside, Vom Baur’s goals for the remainder of 2013 are simple: keep improving and keep winning.

“I’m always ready to fight,” he said. “Somebody can call me up and have a fight for me the next day and I’ll take it. I don’t turn down fights.

“I don’t have any great goals or anything. My goal is just to improve and beat whoever they put in front of me.”

Jose Aldo UFC 194 Media Scrum Video from Rio de Janeiro

Featherweight champion Jose Aldo answered questions during a recent scrum interview promoting his UFC 194 title fight against interim champion Conor McGregor. read news >>

Holly Holm Answers Ronda Rousey 'Jerk' Question, Has Seen Knockout over 30 Times

Holly Holm snubbed the chance to add to Ronda Rousey’s recent misery, offering a neutral answer when asked whether her UFC 193 opponent is a “jerk.” Holm, who stunned the world with her knockout win read news >>

Conor McGregor Predicts Staggering UFC 194 Revenue in Instagram Boast

UFC interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor has predicted his upcoming bout with Jose Aldo at UFC 194 will rake in record revenue, insisting the showdown between the pair could draw in $100 mil read news >>

Video: Fighter dislodges opponent's tooth, punches it into crowd

During the recent APEX Fights 8 event, Joshua Spears lost a tooth – and based on its subsequent trajectory, it’s probably not one he got back.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Uriah Hall explains his controversial 'terrorist' comment from social media

Uriah Hall is sorry but not sorry when it comes to a recent Instagram post in which he labeled MMA fans as “terrorists” due to the harsh criticism directed at Ronda Rousey following her knockout loss read news >>

Conor McGregor Goes Beyond the Octagon to Recount Title Win

Conor McGregor goes Beyond the Octagon to recount his interim championship victory, and takes a look ahead at his unification bout with champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

Carlos Condit Says Holly Holm is Only One Who Should Gloat About Win Over Ronda Rousey

Holly Holm's teammate, former UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit says no one should be gloating about Holm's knockout win over Ronda Rousey but Holm. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov opts against retirement but won't get desired Al Iaquinta matchup

Although another recent injury had Khabib Nurmagomedov considering retirement, he’s opted to fight on. But he won’t get his desired matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC vet Thiago Tavares didn't mind that deep gash and recent TKO loss

Veteran UFC featherweight Thiago Tavares said he doesn’t necessarily get hung up on whether he wins or loses his fights.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>