For Chael Sonnen fans, the buildup to UFC 159 has served as a change of pace.

Sonnen’s interviews ahead of his clash with Jon Jones have been starkly different than in his previous title tries, which notably featured some of Sonnen’s most famous pre-fight banter. Although Sonnen and Jones initially traded verbal taunts when the fight was first booked back in October, Sonnen’s opinion of the champion changed during their stint as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter 17.”

Nevertheless, Sonnen believes that their cordial relationship on the show will have no effect on his intensity in the cage.

“I had [Jones] wrong. He’s a good, nice, decent person. That was refreshing, and good for him, but it doesn’t make a bit of difference [about] what I’m going to do to him on Saturday,” Sonnen recently said during a UFC 159 media scrum. “There can be only one champion. I’m coming for his belt, and he’s going to have to defend himself.”

In Jones, Sonnen faces arguably the toughest test of his career, which includes two unsuccessful middleweight title bids against Anderson Silva. Jones has tasted defeat just once in his five years as a professional, when he was controversially disqualified in a fight he was dominating against Matt Hamill. Since that time, Jones has taken out five former UFC light heavyweight champions, capturing the title from Mauricio Rua and defending it successfully against Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort.

“I think Jon is the best, but I think I’m better. I think he’s great, but I think I’m greater,” Sonnen said. “He’s had a good run. He’s got a lot of skills, and he’s got an interesting style, but I’m a whole other deal. I’ve never lost a round, ever. I’ve never had a fight where a round has gone against me, and that’s going to be a lot for Jon to deal with.”

In Sonnen, Jones must face a 40-fight pro and former Olympic wrestling alternate who has defeated the likes of Michael Bisping, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami. In spite of his foe’s credentials, Jones believes that Sonnen’s typical fight strategy of grounding and controlling his opponents will prove less than effective when the men do battle Saturday at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“He has been fighting the same exact style for so long,” said Jones. “When he shoots, his head goes to the same side. When he grounds and pounds, he uses it to pass guard to the same side. He does the same submissions. It’s all been the same for years. I don’t understand how he’s been so successful with it. I’m just not going to allow it to happen to me. I know what he has.”

Rob Lisita Looking to Crush Ev Ting and Steal His Fans

Rob Lisita has been fighting some of the top featherweights, but will be up against a more familiar foe at ONE: Unbreakable Warriors on Friday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93: What's Troubling Alexander Gustafsson?

This summer has been bittersweet for Canadian music fans. Yes, that’s an odd place to start in discussing a Swedish mixed martial artist, but give it a second. One of the greatest rock bands the coun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Predictions: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Picks

Welcome once again, fight fans, to Germany (or Deutschland, as it's also known). On Saturday, the UFC will host UFC Fight Night 93, its fourth event in Germany and first in the city of Hamburg. In th read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Pimblett: “I’ll be remembered as Cage Warriors 145 Champ, Not McGregor”

MMA fans from all over Europe have been clamoring for Paddy ‘The Baddy’ Pimblett’s UFC debut ever since he launched a tirade at Conor McGregor during a post-fight interview after securing a regional read news >>

Cody Garbrandt UFC 203 Q&A Video Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated bantamweight Cody Garbrandt fielded questions from the fans in Cleveland prior to the UFC 203 weigh-in on Friday at Quicken Loans Arena. read news >>

Urijah Faber vs. Jimmie Rivera Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

Win or lose, Urijah Faber was going to give fans something to be sad about at UFC 203. The California Kid is officially the California Middle-Aged Man at this point, and while fighters such as Dan He read news >>

Daniel Cormier Irate if Jon Jones Fights Anthony Johnson with Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is not happy about the idea that Jon Jones could defend the interim title against Anthony Johnson in his return. read news >>

What if Jon Jones Returned at Heavyweight? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez Don't Like It | MMAWeekly.com

What if Jon Jones returned to the Octagon as a heavyweight and fought Stipe Miocic? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez tear the idea apart. read news >>