Constantinos Philippou Plans to Make Most of UFC 133 Main Card Slot

• submit to reddit
Nick Catone Constantinos Philippou UFC 128
Constantinos Philippou throws a kick at UFC 128

Constantinos Philippou, against Jorge Rivera at UFC 133 this Saturday, is hoping that the third time is the charm.

Originally, Philippou was featured on the eleventh season of ”The Ultimate Fighter,” as a middleweight hopeful. He was eliminated in the opening round by Jospeh Henle. It looked like his aspirations for entering the world’s largest mixed martial arts stage would have to be put on hold.

Philippou continued to plug away on the regional circuit, where he became a staple for the popular Ring of Combat promotion, defeating notables Victor O’Donnell and Uriah Hall. While the Cyprus native was gearing up for another pivotal moment of his career, the infamous UFC call came, and on just five-days notice, he was back in the fold.

“I had no idea. I actually had a fight scheduled a month later for Bellator and I was taking a couple of weeks off thinking I’m going to have enough time to prepare for that fight, and it was actually five days notice that (the UFC) called me,” said Philippou, recalling his short notice venture at UFC 128 last March.

The now Merrick, N.Y., transplant was filling in for an injured Dan Miller, taking on scrappy wrestler Nick Catone. The upside was that Philippou would earn the favor of the UFC brass by stepping up. The downside was knowing that he wasn’t adequately prepared for such a momentous opportunity.

“I was happy that I was fighting for the UFC, but not happy that I was out of shape, but I kind of had no choice because you never know,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“You say no, then who’s to say that they’re going to call you again? So I had to take it.”

The former pro boxer (who came up just short in 2005 for the famed New York Golden Gloves tournament after just two months in the U.S.) had adequate time for prepare for his next match-up, despite yet again serving as a late replacement. Philippou filled in for an injured Riki Fukuda, opposite Rafael Natal in a pivotal bout for both men. Natal was winless in his first two UFC contests, losing a decision to Rich Attonito in his Octagon debut before going to a draw with Jesse Bongfeldt last December. And if that wasn’t enough, Natal is somewhat of an acquaintance.

Philippou is trained under the tutelage of both Ray Longo and Matt Serra, the former UFC welterweight champion. Serra began his career under Renzo Gracie, who awarded him his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt. Serra’s loyalty is unwavering, so when he first heard word that Philippou was taking on Natal, he was a little disappointed to say the least. Why? Because Natal is a student under the prolific Gracie fighter.

“Matt wasn’t really happy with me taking the fight, but I really feel that it was a good fight for me, although Matt didn’t agree with me,” recalled the 31-year-old.

“I had to take it. I felt that it was a good fight for me. When I told Matt, he wasn’t happy about it, but it was ultimately my decision so I took the fight.”

In a strange turn of fate, Philippou was once again shuffled in the deck when Alessio Sakara had withdrawn from his UFC 133 bout with Jorge Rivera due to injury. Philippou was pulled from the fight with Natal and will now be taking on a tested veteran and former contender on the main card of a UFC pay-per-view.

“This time is different. I had a few weeks. I’ve had enough time to prepare. Even though they switched my opponent last minute, it doesn’t matter. As long as I’m in shape, I don’t care who I fight. I think this is good for me. I’m going to win this one,” said Philippou, who is not short on confidence heading into the match-up.

“It’s obviously the biggest fight of my life. When I win this fight, it will be a huge step for me, and finally I’ll get to show (the UFC) who I really am, that I can actually fight, because the last two times I showed them that I basically sucked. Nobody really knows if I’m a good fighter yet because both times that they actually saw me, I was out of shape and I didn’t have anything to show. So I’m hoping this time I get to show what I’ve got.”

“Definitely this fight is not going the distance. I’m hoping second or third round I get to finish Jorge Rivera.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Brian Lopez-Benchimol is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@bbenchimol718 on Twitter or e-mail Brian a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

What could be next for Chris Weidman, Ronda Rousey, Uriah Hall and Russell Doane after their impressive main card victories last night (Sat., July 5, 2014) at UFC 175: “Weidman vs. Machida,” which took place in Las Vegas, Nevada? We try to match up the winners accordingly, below. It's time to play matchmaker. UFC 175: "Weidman vs. Machida" took place last night (Sat., July 5, 2014) from inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, gifting fans with two memorable title fights on the pa more

Tim B. puts on his matchmaking hat and takes a look at who the main card fighters from both weekend events should meet in their next bouts. These double-event weekends are a killer. I didn't even have to do any event coverage and I still feel exhausted from so many fights. While the New Zealand event had some good action, the San Antonio show felt like it took three days and even a fun main event couldn't save it. Nonetheless, the results of both shows did open up some good matchmaking opportuni more

The UFC wrapped up another marathon day this weekend. On Saturday, UFC Fight Night 43 was held in Auckland, New Zealand and UFC Fight Night 44 was hosted by San Antonio. The UFC Fight Night 43 card wrapped up with a Nate Marquardt submission win over New Zealand's own James Te Huna. Later, Cub Swanson ended UFC Fight Night 44 with a decision victory over Jeremy Stephens. While both men picked up a win in main events, Swanson and Marquardt are in very different positions. Swanson is closing in on more

Mixed martial arts is a sport filled with uncertainties and few are more familiar with this reality than Stefan Struve. Five years ago, the rangy Dutchmen came to the UFC and quickly established himself as a fighter of potential and promise in the heavyweight ranks—a division in desperate need of young talent. While there were setbacks along the way, "The Skyscraper" proved there was legitimacy behind the expectation, as he bounced back strong time and time again. It didn't take long for Struve more

UFC 176's main event featherweight title fight has been wiped out for now thanks to an injury to the champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is injured and out of the pay-per-view main event against Chad Mendes, according to a report from UFC Tonight on Wednesday. more

On Saturday, Chris Weidman's first title fight against an opponent other than Anderson Silva let fans down. Early on, Weidman was beating Lyoto Machida by moving forward patiently and mixing in takedowns. After seemingly dropping the first three rounds on the scorecards, Machida came out more aggressive in the fourth stanza and began turning things around. Despite Machida's late push, Weidman was able to weather the storm. A takedown in the fifth round helped Weidman seal the win and defend his more

Kyle McLachlan tries to think like Joe Silva and line up the fighters who featured on last nights card for their next bouts in the Octagon. UFC 175 featured a main event which matched the epic five round insta-classics between Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler and Jon Jones and Alexander Gustaffson we've been privileged to see in the last year. Chris Weidman solidified his position as the best 185lber in the World and probably one of the best all-round fighters in MMA pound-for-pound. The rest o more

"Brodinho" expects to make a statement against "The Wild Wolf." Leandro Issa and Jumabieke Tuerxun have both been making waves in Asian mixed martial arts (MMA) with the former challenging unsuccessfully for the inaugural ONE FC bantamweight title and the latter winning the 135-pound belt at Legend FC before turning down a RUFF title shot to sign with UFC. Their paths will finally cross on Sunday night (July 6, 2014) when they meet on the card of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale at the concl more