Carlos Condit may benefit from Georges St. Pierre’s injury. | Photo: Dave Mandel


Carlos Condit was disappointed last week when Georges St. Pierre had to pull out of their UFC 137 welterweight title fight due to a knee injury, but the bout’s postponement could benefit him, according to trainer Mike Winkeljohn.

“Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise,” Winkeljohn told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “We had a game plan. We felt real good with it, but Chris Luttrell and I were talking about some things we’d like to see Carlos do, but we figured it was too late to even try to implement those things because the fight’s coming up and you can only fill your fighter’s head with so much information. In a way, now we can come up with a couple of more things to put us in a couple of better positions for this fight.”

Winkeljohn, who coaches alongside Greg Jackson at Jackson’s MMA, is enjoying the chance to strategize against St. Pierre and his camp. Of course, Jackson normally helps train both Condit and St. Pierre, but he has declined to coach either for this fight. There’s no conflict of interest for Winkeljohn, though.

“I have worked mitts with Georges in the past, but gosh, less [times] than the fingers on my hand,” he said. “It’s an honor to have worked with him a little bit, but I definitely wasn’t one of his coaches. Heck, I’m excited about having Carlos fight him. It’s one of those things, it’s just what we do. It’s kind of neat to have to game plan against his other coaches up there in Canada. It’s kind of an honor, and we’re excited about doing it.”

For now, though, the fight has been delayed until St. Pierre can recover.

“It’s a little disappointing,” Winkeljohn said. “Carlos had his head in the right place. It was a great fight camp for him. He was working all the right things and building his confidence to be in the right place at the right time. He’s disappointed, but he understands the fight game. He wants to beat Georges at Georges’ best, so he’s going to wait, and, assuming it doesn’t take too long, Carlos wants to fight him for the title soon.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:15:25).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Report: Carlos Condit vs. Thiago Alves targeted for late May

  • 21 days ago
  • 1 views

Two mainstays of the UFC welterweight division, Carlos Condit and Thiago Alves, could be facing off at UFC Fight Night 67 in May. It appears that former UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condi read news >>

UFC Cancels Fairfax Fight Following Injury | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 1 views

The UFC Fight Night 63: Mendes vs. Lamas event slated for April 4 in Fairfax, Va., will go on as planned, but it will continue minus one bout. read news >>

Report: Ben Saunders out of UFC Fight Night Rio co-main vs. Erick Silva due to injury

  • 22 days ago
  • 9 views

...Because apparently UFC Rio hasn't had enough card-crippling injuries. Bad news has hit the seemingly cursed UFC Fight Night event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which is just two weeks away. Sherdog's read news >>

Injury knocks Clint Hester from fight with Luke Barnatt at UFC Fight Night 63 in Virginia

  • 22 days ago
  • 0 views

The lineup for next month’s UFC Fight Night 63 card near the nation’s capital will go on absent a fight.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Clint Hester injured, UFC Fight Night 63 fight against Luke Barnatt in Fairfax scrapped

  • 22 days ago
  • 5 views

And the injury bug returns. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass have decided to move forward with a ten-fight UFC Fight Night 63 card as the scheduled "Prelims" middleweight bout between The U read news >>

Carlos Condit looks like a Natural Born Killer & Alexander Gustafsson chills on a beach.

  • 22 days ago
  • 91 views

Welcome to another week of MMA on Instagram! MMA stalker Katie Winter has collected the best pics that UFC and other MMA fighters and personalities were sharing this week, and they're all here for yo read news >>

UFC Fight Night 64 gets two new bouts due to injury

  • 23 days ago
  • 11 views

According to a statement released by the UFC on Friday, two bouts have been added to the UFC Fight Night 64 (UFC Krakow) fight card after injuries caused two previous bouts to be changed. "With injur read news >>

Dana White: ‘Georges St-Pierre doesn’t want to fight’

  • 26 days ago
  • 255 views

UFC President Dana White has not spoken to GSP since the new drug-testing policy was announced but did not appear confident about the former champion’s potential return to the octagon. Several months read news >>

Despite victory, Derrick Lewis still feeling effects of blood clot injury

  • 28 days ago
  • 6 views

LOS ANGELES -- UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis spoke to the media about his victory over Ruan Potts at UFC 184, the blood clot injury he suffered at American Top Team, why he only wants to fight three read news >>