Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

UFC 196's Werdum vs. Velasquez headliner gets referee, judges

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today named the officials for next month’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Retired ex-champ B.J. Penn wants Nik Lentz at UFC 197, heads to Jackson-Wink MMA

B.J. Penn’s rivalry with Nik Lentz had seemingly flamed out a few months ago, but now the retired UFC Hall of Famer has ramped things up again with a “formal challenge” for a bout at UFC 197 on March read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

Kenny Florian breaks down Dillashaw-Cruz title fight, a 'peek into future of MMA'

Retired UFC fighter and UFC-FOX analyst Kenny Florian can’t pick a winner in Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 headliner between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz, but like any hardcore fight fan, he can’t read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 18

UFC Fight Night 81 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Bleacher Report play-by-play man Craig Amos): Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Dominick Cruz def. T.J. Dillashaw, split-decision (48-47, 4 read news >>