Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey at UFC 207: The Complete Breakdown

More than 13 months after suffering the first loss of her career, former bantamweight queenpin Ronda Rousey returns to action against current champion Amanda Nunes with the belt on the line. It's not read news >>

Chris 'Lights Out' Lytle is Fighting the Good Fight Outside of the UFC Cage | MMAWeekly.com

Retired UFC welterweight contender Chris "Lights Out" Lytle fought with heart inside the cage and is using his former fighter status to change lives. read news >>

Bellator 170 lineup set with Derek Anderson-Derek Campos on main card, Ruth-Schneider on prelims

The lineup for next month’s Bellator 170 is official and complete with the addition of two more fights for card in Southern California.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Conor McGregor 'not in my plans for the next 10 months,' says UFC President Dana White

In spite of Conor McGregor’s recent clues that we might be seeing him sooner than originally expected, UFC president Dana White is still not counting on the lightweight champion for ten months.Filed read news >>

Dana White: 'Ronda Rousey is Psychotically Competitive' (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White says Ronda Rousey is like the old Ronda again heading into UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into 2017

UFC 207 is in the books. The results are as follows: Amanda Nunes def. Ronda Rousey by KO at 0:48 of the first round Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz by unanimous decision (48-46, 48-47, 48-46) T.J. read news >>

UFC heavyweight Justin Ledet 'rolling with the punches' but sees big things on horizon

Justin Ledet made his UFC debut just five months ago, but he’s already racked up a pair of octagon wins. At UFC Fight Night 104, he’ll look for a third UFC victory, and big things could come quickly read news >>

Chris Lytle Bothered By Athletes Not Using Influence to Create Positive Change | MMAWeekly.com

Professional athletes wield more influence than some of them realize. They're heroes to an impressionable youth, but aren't always role models. read news >>

Ev Ting vs. Kamal Shalorus headlines ONE Championship 52 in Malaysia

Some familiar lightweights are slated for next month’s “ONE Championship 52: Throne of Tigers” headliner in Malaysia.Filed under: News read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss to Amanda Nunes

Retired boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. has offered crestfallen UFC superstar Ronda Rousey some words of encouragement following her second successive career defeat, which came against Amanda Nunes read news >>