Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

Before retirement, 'Big Nog' was spending 7 months a year 'doing physical therapy'

SAO PAULO – Retired UFC heavyweight and former interim champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira decided he needed to retire when he realized how he was spending most of his time.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

Surprise! Floyd Mayweather Says Ronda Rousey is Bad for Boxing

Surprise, surprise.... recently retired boxer Floyd Mayweather is not happy about UFC champ Ronda Rousey being on the cover of boxing's The Ring magazine. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey's Ring Magazine Cover

Ronda Rousey recently became the first woman to grace the cover of Ring Magazine, but retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. used the historic accomplishment as an avenue to comment on the state of boxin read news >>

'Cro Cop' pulls out of UFC Fight Night 79 co-headliner, announces MMA retirement

Mirko Filipovic is out of this month’s UFC Fight Night 79 co-headliner. He’s also apparently done with the sport.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 Medical Suspensions: Five Fighters Could Be Out Six Months

UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3 featured eight finishes in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Saturday resulting in six fighters potentially facing six-month medical suspensions. read news >>

Tim Kennedy interested in fight with 'fatter/slower' Vitor Belfort

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy hasn’t fought in 14 months and has said he might hang up his MMA gloves while also vowing to return to “smash” PED users. Today, he seems to prefer the latter.Filed under read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 193

UFC Fight Night 77 is in the books. The results are as follows (courtesy of Bleacher Report's play-by-play man, Craig Amos): Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Vitor Belfort def. Dan Henderson, knockout (Roun read news >>

With Matt Brown officially out, UFC seeks replacement (but it won't be Tyron Woodley)

Matt Brown is officially out of this month’s UFC Fight Night 78 headliner, and a replacement search is underway. But one notable has already taken his name off the list of candidates.Filed under: New read news >>

Trading Shots: On injuring to win, and the rules within the MMA rules

In this week’s Trading Shots, retired UFC and WEC fighter Danny Downes joins MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes to debate the ethics of injuring to win in a sport where hurting is already part of the de read news >>

'UFC Fight Night 80: VanZant vs. Namajunas' lineup finalized with 12 bouts

The lineup is set for next month’s UFC Fight Night 80 event, which marks the first headliner for Paige VanZant and a quick turnaround for former title challenger Rose Namajunas.Filed under: Featured read news >>