Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

The 10: The Best of the Best from the Best Month in UFC History

Take a look at the 10 best fights from one of the best fight months in UFC history. This is The 10 for July. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs Julianna Pena Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

After 16 months off, No. 3 bantamweight and former title contender Cat Zingano (9-2) faced Julianna Pena, the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate at UFC 200. After a promising f read news >>

UFC 200 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 91

UFC 200 is in the books. The results are as follows, per Bleacher Report's own Craig Amos: UFC 200 Main Card Amanda Nunes def. Miesha Tate, submission (Round 1, 3:16) Brock Lesnar def. Mark Hunt, una read news >>

For Dana White and Fertittas, UFC Sale Leaves Behind Complex Legacy

After months of intense negotiations, the deal has finally closed. As first reported by TMZ, the Ultimate Fighting Championship was sold for $4 billion to talent agency WME-IMG in the single biggest read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 20

UFC Fight Night 91 is in the books. The results are as follows (h/t Bleacher Report's very own Craig Amos): Fight Night 91 Main Card on Fox Sports 1 John Lineker def. Michael McDonald, knockout (Roun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 20

Austen Heidlage Expecting Good Fight Against ‘Good Buddy’ Chase Waldon at RFA 40

Austen Heidlage is expecting a competitive contest when he takes on 'good buddy' Chase Waldon at RFA 40 on July 15. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Medical Suspensions: Michael McDonald Sidelined for Two Months

Every fighter on the UFC Fight Night 91 event on Wednesday in Sioux Falls, S.D., was issued, at minimum, a precautionary medical suspension of 7 days. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 201

UFC on Fox 20 is in the books. The results are as follows (via Bleacher Report's own Nathan McCarter): Valentina Shevchenko defeats Holly Holm by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46) Edson Barboz read news >>

For UFC Women's Bantamweight Division, How Many Upsets Are Too Many?

A little bit of chaos can be fun. For eight months or so, it was pretty easy to make the case that the UFC women’s bantamweight division was benefiting from its recent bout of unpredictability. Holly read news >>