Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

UFC on Fox 21: Demian Maia's Incredible 15-Year Summit

UFC on Fox 21's Demian Maia is turning 39 in just over two months. His first professional MMA fight was 15 years ago. He heads into his fight against former welterweight contender Carlos Condit, seek read news >>

UFC on Fox 21 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 93

UFC on Fox 21 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Bleacher Report's very own Craig Amos): UFC on Fox 21 Main Card Demian Maia def. Carlos Condit, submission (Round 1, 1:52) Anthony Petti read news >>

Five months, six fights - no problem for Macedo

Veronica Macedo has fought six times in the last five months since she turned pro. On Saturday Macedo makes her UFC debut against Ashlee Evans-Smith at Fight Night Hamburg. read news >>

Arlovski taking fight very serious, wants KO

Four months later, Andrei Arlovski is back. Back in the cage and back in the old world, where he is once again set to headline a European city’s UFC debut. This time: Hamburg, Germany on Saturday, Se read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 203

UFC Fight Night 93 is in the books. The results are as follows: Josh Barnett defeated Andrei Arlovski via submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:53 of the third round. Alexander Gustafsson defeated Jan B read news >>

Cory Sandhagen Thinks RFA 43 Opponent Clay Wimer is Someone He Can KO | MMAWeekly.com

After a couple months off, Croy Sandhagen returns to the RFA on Friday in Broomfield, Colo., to take on Clay Wimer in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

UFC 203 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 94

UFC 203 is in the books. The results are as follows: UFC 203 Main Card Stipe Miocic def. Alistair Overeem, knockout (Round 1, 4:27) Fabricio Werdum def. Travis Browne, unanimous decision (29-27, 29-2 read news >>

UFC 203 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 94

Cain Velasquez: Who is Next? | MMAWeekly.com

It's been two months since Cain Velasquez returned to action at UFC 200, where he stopped Travis Browne. So who is next for the former heavyweight champion? read news >>