Coker on Fedor Deal: We’ll Be Partners for a Long Time


Fedor Emelianenko | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com


The contract renegotiation between Strikeforce and Fedor Emelianenko/M-1 Global concluded this week with a four-fight agreement, but Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker believes the Russian heavyweight will be with his promotion for more than four bouts.

“I think that the four fights is part of the new deal, but I think we still have a fight on the old deal too. I don’t want to get into how many fights we have with him, but I believe it’s more than four fights in total,” Coker said Wednesday on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “It’s multi-fights, multi-year, and I think that for the next two years, he’s going to be fighting for Strikeforce in conjunction with Showtime. These fights have to be co-promotions with M-1. I think that M-1 did a good job negotiating their deal, so we’re going to be partners for a long time.”

Fedor fights Antonio Silva in the first round of Strikeforce’s eight-man heavyweight tournament Feb. 12 in East Rutherford, N.J.

“Even if Fedor wins the tournament, he’s still going to have some more fights to go defend the belt,” Coker said. “We have a long time and a long history with options after and everything.”

In fact, Coker said Fedor requested a spot in the tournament, which could match him against three top 10-caliber heavyweights in 2011.

“I think [the tournament] was something that actually he wanted to do,” Coker said. “I got the call saying, ‘Hey, we want Fedor in the tournament.’ Guys, let me tell you, I’m a fan still. I’ve seen him for the last 10 years. Let’s face it: Anytime a guy like Fedor enters the cage … it’s a special occasion. To have him in our tournament, I was just excited and so happy.”

Coker also explained that Fedor’s signing led to a quick launch of the tournament. Not long after news broke of his new deal, matchups were set and announced for the eight-man field with Fedor fighting next month.

“Fedor signed and we had to go,” Coker said. “Now we’re fighting on [Feb. 12]. Fedor wants to fight now. He doesn’t want to wait. Fedor wants to get it on, so we’re going to get it on.”

Coker isn’t worried the tournament will be interrupted by another contract renegotiation either.

“I feel confident that the way the contract’s structured is solid, and no one’s going anywhere,” he said. “If anybody’s going to renegotiate, it’s going to be Coker. I’m joking, I’m joking. It’s all good. Everybody’s happy now. Let’s just keep it that way.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 54:18) with Coker, who discussed the tournament in-depth.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 32 views

In an unsurprising move, Bellator has released Jon Koppenhaver aka War Machine from his contract. The "new" Bellator wasted no time in cutting ties with War Machine in the wake of his latest set of l read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 4 views

The last time we saw surging lightweight T.J. Grant inside the Octagon, he was carving up Gray Maynard en route to a first-round TKO. That beyond-impressive performance set Grant up for a title shot read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 8 views

Daniel Cormier had been waiting a long time for a shot at UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. With the champ injured, he'll now how to wait even longer. read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 2 views

Talita Nogueira might be heading to Bellator. The multiple time jiu-jitsu world champion, who won her six MMA fights via stoppage, is in talks with the promotion. According to sources close to the fi read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 6 views

That's for the lawyers to decide. Sorry, fight fans, but Eddie Alvarez won't be mixing it up inside the Octagon, anytime soon. That's according to Scott Coker, the newly-appointed Bellator MMA presid read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 0 views

Just a day after new Bellator MMA President Scott Coker told MMAjunkie that the promotion was in talks with its lightweight champion, Eddie Alvarez has been released.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 2 views

It was a long time coming, but according to Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com, Bellator has released Bellator Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez from his contract, making him a free agent. Scott Coker confir read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 13 views

When you're intently focused or on a mission or devoted to a cause, you simply don't have time for many distractions. That's the position UFC welterweight Rory MacDonald, 25, finds himself in today. read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 4 views

Mark Hunt has signed a new six-fight deal with the UFC and he will likely retire from fighting upon fulfilling his contract, according to a report on Wednesday. Hunt spoke with UFC Tonight and explai read news >>