Coker Reflects on Promoting with Zuffa


Scott Coker (above) countered the belief that the UFC plans on absorbing Strikeforce. | Photo: Dave Mandel


Now that Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has had the chance to promote under the Zuffa banner, he is confident that he made the right decision to sell his company to the UFC owners.

“I’m glad it’s all moving forward and people can see the fights are still going to happen, that I’m still running Strikeforce and we’re going to have a contract with Showtime still,” Coker said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview. “People say it’s not business as usual, but really, if you watched the telecast on Saturday night, it looked like business as usual. There might be some changes in the back, but at the end of the day, I love promoting fights and I get to continue promoting fights.”

Coker was referring to the April 9 Strikeforce “Diaz vs. Daley” card, which featured a thrilling main event between Nick Diaz and Paul Daley. Although the Showtime telecast looked like a typical Strikeforce event, Coker appreciated the help Zuffa provided backstage.

“It’s nice to have a big staff working toward one goal,” he said. “In the past we had a smaller staff. Our smaller staff was obviously very good. It’s just that the Zuffa machine has a lot more people, a lot more marketing, a lot more PR, a lot more bodies around in the back. Believe me, they do it right. I think that where we had to cut some corners in the past, they don’t need to do that. They’re on top of everything. They have a great system.”

The sale to Zuffa came after Coker’s partners at Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment decided to exit the MMA business.

“For [Silicon Valley Sports] it was just a business deal,” Coker explained. “For me it was something that I had a lot more passion behind. … When I think of Strikeforce, it’s like your baby. You grew it, and you’re seeing it grow up. But at the end of the day, it is a business. … When you take the emotion out of it, it made a lot of sense. It made good business sense to do it.”

Coker also countered the belief that the UFC plans on absorbing Strikeforce. He said he expects Strikeforce to succeed at a level where merging will not make sense.

“That’s what I believe,” Coker said. “My goal is to make [Strikeforce] as profitable as I can and make it such a rich venture that they’ll keep it going for many years to come.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:09:55).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 14 days ago
  • 0 views

TEMECULA, Calif. -- Kimbo Slice is back in MMA. And the line has already formed of fighters wanting to take him on. "Honestly, I probably had about 200 people call me last night saying, 'I'm ready to read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 9 views

Kimbo Slice just signed with Bellator, and Scott Coker says he's definitely interested in signing Mirko Cro Cop as well. During Bellator 132, Bellator officially announced the signing of Kevin Fergus read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 6 views

TEMECULA, Calif. -- Georgi Karakhanyan locked in a guillotine choke on Bubba Jenkins in the first round Friday night at Bellator 132 and it was tight. So tight that Jenkins didn't even have a chance read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 3 views

TEMECULA, Calif. -- Scott Coker went to Japan for New Year's with hopes of luring Fedor Emelianenko out of retirement, among other things. Instead, he might have found another Eastern European MMA le read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 4 views

The MMA Hour is back in your life on Tuesday. Below is a rundown of the show: 1:00 p.m. -- Irish journalist Peter Carroll will recap Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Siver and look ahead to McGregor vs. Jos read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 39 views

Scott Coker went to Japan late last month in part because of one man: Fedor Emelianenko. The Bellator MMA president was in attendance at the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye show in Tokyo on New Year's Eve knowing th read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 27 views

Which saves Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) the trouble of making a counteroffer. Bellator MMA President Scott Coker, who partnered with M-1 Global a few years back to co-promote mixed martial a read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator President Scott Coker made the announcement of what he called a “superfight” for Bellator 134. It will be “King Mo” Lawal vs. Cheick Kongo at heavyweight.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, N read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 4 views

Bellator president Scott Coker talks about signing Kimbo Slice and other Bellator-related news. read news >>