cody-mckenzie-10.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – Following a unanimous-decision win over Leonard Garcia (15-11-1 MMA, 1-5 UFC) at UFC 159, Cody McKenzie (14-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he’s stepping away from the sport for at least six months.

“I’ve got stuff going on,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m going back to work on my MMA game a bit more too, but definitely just need to turn my life around a bit, and do some things right.”

McKenzie declined to speak on his reasons for taking a break, but admitted he was disappointed at the result of the fight, which was scored 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 in his favor. The bout served on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the event, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“AK Kid” called the judge who gave Garcia a round “an idiot,” but said the boos of the crowd, which came during a lackluster third round, were more upsetting.

After a pleasant pre-fight buildup, McKenzie said he and Garcia began arguing in the middle of the fight and trading fouls as Garcia grabbed his gloves and he landed a few shots to the back of the head.

“We got a little bit dirty,” McKenzie said.

“It was just a boring fight,” he said later. “I’m used to putting on more entertaining fights. It wasn’t my most entertaining fight. This was the first time in all my career I actually heard the crowd boo.”

McKenzie probably prompted the opposite reaction when he walked into the arena sporting a pair of loud, tight and colorful tights, which he said he borrowed from his longtime training partner and coach, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (whose mom makes the bright apparel). He said he only was able to secure a single sponsor for the event, Quest Nutrition, which paid him “a few thousand dollars” for wearing a hoodie.

“I wore these in tribute of Lyle,” McKenzie said. “He’s always been there for me, and he helped me this entire camp. I wouldn’t have won the fight without him.”

The fight put McKenzie, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” back in the win column following a first-round knockout loss at UFC 146 to Chad Menes, who put him down with a body shot.

Still, McKenzie admitted to slacking on his training and said he wasn’t in the best shape. No wonder: He reportedly cut 40 pounds to make the bout’s featherweight limit. Hence, he got tired later in the fight, and boos arose.

“This fight, I kind of went back to the old Cody McKenzie, where I was like, ‘Hey whatever, I fight for a hobby,’ and I fight better that way sometimes,” he said. “The Mendes fight, I think I took a little too seriously and trained too hard. Who knows, this game is a flip of a coin.

“I still want to be a world champ. I definitely need to work harder so I can push the pace higher. I have a lot of flaws in my game, and I mess up a lot. It’s all a learning process. I’m 25, and me and my buddy Lyle have just been figuring it out. I’m still figuring it out.”

If there was a silver lining to the experience, McKenzie said he heard his friend cheering for him cageside. His friends and family supported him through a less-than-ideal training camp. And he had the respect of UFC President Dana White, who praised his performance.

“Cody McKenzie beat [Garcia] tonight – every way you can beat a guy,” he said.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Khabib Nurmagomedov interested in November return to the Octagon

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov plans to return to the Octagon in the fall. After spending well over a year on the sidelines nursing a knee injury, Khabib Nurmagomedov is aiming for a fall return read news >>

Robbie Lawler's UFC 189 plans? 'Get in Rory’s face and get a knockout'

LAS VEGAS – “Business as usual.” That’s how UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler repeatedly referred to his approach to his UFC 189 rematch with Rory MacDonald when speaking with media at Wednesda read news >>

Chad Mendes: Let Conor McGregor focus on money ‘while I’m beating a hole in his face’

LAS VEGAS -- Stepping into a title fight on less than a few weeks' notice typically isn't the most ideal situation for a UFC fighter. But UFC 189 isn't your typical title fight, and Conor McGregor is read news >>

Robbie Lawler Plans to Knock Rory MacDonald Out (UFC 189 Video)

Robbie Lawler spoke to the media at Wednesday's UFC 189 open workouts in Las Vegas, and said that he plans to keep the pressure on Rory MacDonald and end the fight with a knockout. read news >>

UFC 189 'Embedded' video blog (Ep. 6): Chad 'Deer Hunter' Mendes plans to mount Conor McGregor's bust in trophy room

Chad Mendes has come to his senses in the latest episode of UFC 189 "Embedded," trading dangerous fireworks for an organic chicken coop. "Money" is actually an experienced hunter who eats what he kil read news >>

Jessica Aguilar plans to expose weaknesses in Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s ‘one-dimensional’ game

Former WSOF champ is not overly impressed with UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s ‘one-dimensional’ skill set. Although Jessica Aguilar will have her hands full with a substantial obstacle in the form of read news >>

Charles Oliveira plans to take advantage of Holloway's 'not so sharp' Jiu-Jitsu

Charles Oliveira believes he is better than Max Holloway and on the ground and will look to pressure him into fighting his fight at UFC Fight Night 74. After 13 UFC fights, Charles Oliveira will fina read news >>

'Jacare' Souza manager open to Luke Rockhold or Yoel Romero No. 1 contender eliminator match

No. 2 ranked UFC middleweight Jacare Souza plans to be back in action come September and isn't expecting a warm up bout ... Top-ranked Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight contender, Ron read news >>

Undefeated Miles Hunsinger Plans a Bad Night at RFA 27

Undefeated welterweight prospect Miles Hunsinger is preparing for a bad night at RFA 27 on Friday night... a bad night for Austin Miller. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Graham Boylan

Former Cage Warriors CEO Graham Boylan reveals his latest MMA plans. read news >>