cody-mckenzie-10.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – Following a unanimous-decision win over Leonard Garcia (15-11-1 MMA, 1-5 UFC) at UFC 159, Cody McKenzie (14-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he’s stepping away from the sport for at least six months.

“I’ve got stuff going on,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m going back to work on my MMA game a bit more too, but definitely just need to turn my life around a bit, and do some things right.”

McKenzie declined to speak on his reasons for taking a break, but admitted he was disappointed at the result of the fight, which was scored 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 in his favor. The bout served on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the event, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“AK Kid” called the judge who gave Garcia a round “an idiot,” but said the boos of the crowd, which came during a lackluster third round, were more upsetting.

After a pleasant pre-fight buildup, McKenzie said he and Garcia began arguing in the middle of the fight and trading fouls as Garcia grabbed his gloves and he landed a few shots to the back of the head.

“We got a little bit dirty,” McKenzie said.

“It was just a boring fight,” he said later. “I’m used to putting on more entertaining fights. It wasn’t my most entertaining fight. This was the first time in all my career I actually heard the crowd boo.”

McKenzie probably prompted the opposite reaction when he walked into the arena sporting a pair of loud, tight and colorful tights, which he said he borrowed from his longtime training partner and coach, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (whose mom makes the bright apparel). He said he only was able to secure a single sponsor for the event, Quest Nutrition, which paid him “a few thousand dollars” for wearing a hoodie.

“I wore these in tribute of Lyle,” McKenzie said. “He’s always been there for me, and he helped me this entire camp. I wouldn’t have won the fight without him.”

The fight put McKenzie, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” back in the win column following a first-round knockout loss at UFC 146 to Chad Menes, who put him down with a body shot.

Still, McKenzie admitted to slacking on his training and said he wasn’t in the best shape. No wonder: He reportedly cut 40 pounds to make the bout’s featherweight limit. Hence, he got tired later in the fight, and boos arose.

“This fight, I kind of went back to the old Cody McKenzie, where I was like, ‘Hey whatever, I fight for a hobby,’ and I fight better that way sometimes,” he said. “The Mendes fight, I think I took a little too seriously and trained too hard. Who knows, this game is a flip of a coin.

“I still want to be a world champ. I definitely need to work harder so I can push the pace higher. I have a lot of flaws in my game, and I mess up a lot. It’s all a learning process. I’m 25, and me and my buddy Lyle have just been figuring it out. I’m still figuring it out.”

If there was a silver lining to the experience, McKenzie said he heard his friend cheering for him cageside. His friends and family supported him through a less-than-ideal training camp. And he had the respect of UFC President Dana White, who praised his performance.

“Cody McKenzie beat [Garcia] tonight – every way you can beat a guy,” he said.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC on FOX 18 headliner Anthony Johnson plans on retiring within three years

Veteran UFC fighter Anthony Johnson is on the cusp of another title shot in the light heavyweight division, but he’s already got plans to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Not Going Away, Plans to Fight Holly Holm Later This Year

For those that question Ronda Rousey's resiliency, no, she's not going away anytime soon. In fact, she intends to return to the Octagon later this year. read news >>

Conor McGregor Slams Rafael dos Anjos, Reveals Welterweight Plans in UFC Presser

Conor McGregor believes he could beat everyone "in the game" in four months and has vowed to claim three UFC belts in 2016 while speaking at the UFC 197 press conference Wednesday in Las Vegas. The N read news >>

From humble 'cockfighting' days in Brazil, Evangelista Santos puts persistency to work

After a long layoff, Evangelista Santos returns on Friday still confident in the way he prepares for MMA – and hopeful that it will pay off in his Legacy FC debut.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Assuncao sets his sights after injury layoff

UFC bantamweight Raphael Assuncao is nearing his return to the Octagon after a lengthy injury layoff, and he's already setting his sights on the division. read news >>

Northcutt Gets New Foe for Newark Bout

There's been a change of plans for the New Jersey debut of rising star Sage Northcutt on Jan. 30 in Newark's Prudential Center, as an injury has forced Andrew Holbrook from the FOX-televised bout. read news >>

How a couple of eyepokes changed Matt Mitrione’s career plans (spoiler: they didn’t)

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione expects to undergo surgery Monday for an orbital blowout fracture he suffered from a Travis Browne punch at UFC Fight Night 81.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Legacy FC 50 results: 'Cyborg' returns from lengthy layoff with decision win

Fighting for the first time in 21 months, Evangelista Santos outstruck fellow veteran Artenas Young en route to a clearcut decision win.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

UFC 196's Cain Velasquez plans rare third UFC title reign: 'This belt is mine'

Cain Velasquez is one of six fighters in history to become a two-time UFC champion at one weight class. When it comes to three-time titleholders, the list shrinks to just one.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

WSOF announces upcoming events in Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Dakota

WSOF’s summer plans have now been made official with the announcement of locations for WSOF 31, WSOF 32 and WSOF 33.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>