cody-mckenzie-10.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – Following a unanimous-decision win over Leonard Garcia (15-11-1 MMA, 1-5 UFC) at UFC 159, Cody McKenzie (14-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he’s stepping away from the sport for at least six months.

“I’ve got stuff going on,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m going back to work on my MMA game a bit more too, but definitely just need to turn my life around a bit, and do some things right.”

McKenzie declined to speak on his reasons for taking a break, but admitted he was disappointed at the result of the fight, which was scored 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 in his favor. The bout served on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the event, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“AK Kid” called the judge who gave Garcia a round “an idiot,” but said the boos of the crowd, which came during a lackluster third round, were more upsetting.

After a pleasant pre-fight buildup, McKenzie said he and Garcia began arguing in the middle of the fight and trading fouls as Garcia grabbed his gloves and he landed a few shots to the back of the head.

“We got a little bit dirty,” McKenzie said.

“It was just a boring fight,” he said later. “I’m used to putting on more entertaining fights. It wasn’t my most entertaining fight. This was the first time in all my career I actually heard the crowd boo.”

McKenzie probably prompted the opposite reaction when he walked into the arena sporting a pair of loud, tight and colorful tights, which he said he borrowed from his longtime training partner and coach, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (whose mom makes the bright apparel). He said he only was able to secure a single sponsor for the event, Quest Nutrition, which paid him “a few thousand dollars” for wearing a hoodie.

“I wore these in tribute of Lyle,” McKenzie said. “He’s always been there for me, and he helped me this entire camp. I wouldn’t have won the fight without him.”

The fight put McKenzie, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” back in the win column following a first-round knockout loss at UFC 146 to Chad Menes, who put him down with a body shot.

Still, McKenzie admitted to slacking on his training and said he wasn’t in the best shape. No wonder: He reportedly cut 40 pounds to make the bout’s featherweight limit. Hence, he got tired later in the fight, and boos arose.

“This fight, I kind of went back to the old Cody McKenzie, where I was like, ‘Hey whatever, I fight for a hobby,’ and I fight better that way sometimes,” he said. “The Mendes fight, I think I took a little too seriously and trained too hard. Who knows, this game is a flip of a coin.

“I still want to be a world champ. I definitely need to work harder so I can push the pace higher. I have a lot of flaws in my game, and I mess up a lot. It’s all a learning process. I’m 25, and me and my buddy Lyle have just been figuring it out. I’m still figuring it out.”

If there was a silver lining to the experience, McKenzie said he heard his friend cheering for him cageside. His friends and family supported him through a less-than-ideal training camp. And he had the respect of UFC President Dana White, who praised his performance.

“Cody McKenzie beat [Garcia] tonight – every way you can beat a guy,” he said.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC 187 Results: John Dodson Decisions Zack Makovsky, Keeps Title Hopes Alive

John Dodson returned from a yearlong layoff to score a unanimous decision over Zach Makovsky and get back into title contention. read news >>

Morning Report: Knowing Anderson Silva 'could never, will never' beat him, Chris Weidman plans to show he's 'head and sh

Another day, another fighter writing a column. UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman defends his title to Vitor Belfort May 23 at UFC 187, but he's still talking about another Brazilian. Weidman fa read news >>

Andre Pederneiras plans to retire as head coach, cornerman this year

Andre Pederneiras, one of the best coaches in MMA today, will no longer be seen in fighters’ corners in 2016. Co-founder of jiu-jitsu and MMA team Nova Uniao and president of Shooto Brazil, Pederneir read news >>

Mark Hunt on Stipe Miocic: ‘I’m knocking his lips off’

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt plans to knock Stipe Miocic out on Saturday night in Adelaide. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 67 pre-fight facts: Carlos Condit returns from career-long layoff

For more on the numbers behind the UFC’s 22nd event in Brazil, check out 50 pre-fight facts about Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 67 show.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 66 Results: Gegard Mousasi Dominates En Route to Unanimous Decision

Gegard Mousasi plays it safe, but dominates Costas Philippou en route to a unanimous decision victory. read news >>

Michael Bisping: Fighting Anderson Silva not the burning issue it once was

• a day ago

Still, "The Count" says he wouldn't mind stepping into the cage against someone he once considered a hero despite "The Spider's" recent fall. Despite his constant pleas of innocence, former Ultimate read news >>

UFC 187 results: Joseph Benavidez beats John Moraga by unanimous decision

Check out the result of the opening UFC 187 main card fight between Joseph Benavidez and John Moraga After flyweights John Dodson and Zach Makovsky disappointed fans at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, fe read news >>

UFC overhauls Hall of Fame, plans physical location for future inductees

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will once again hold its Hall of Fame (HOF) induction ceremony during International Fight Week, which coincides with the upcoming UFC 189: "Aldo vs. McGregor" pay read news >>

Carlos Condit: UFC Fight Night 67 win puts me 'in the running for a title shot'

• a day ago

Career-long layoff due to injury or not, Carlos Condit believes that beating Thiago Alves at UFC Fight Night 67 would establish him as a title contender once again.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>