cody-mckenzie-10.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – Following a unanimous-decision win over Leonard Garcia (15-11-1 MMA, 1-5 UFC) at UFC 159, Cody McKenzie (14-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he’s stepping away from the sport for at least six months.

“I’ve got stuff going on,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m going back to work on my MMA game a bit more too, but definitely just need to turn my life around a bit, and do some things right.”

McKenzie declined to speak on his reasons for taking a break, but admitted he was disappointed at the result of the fight, which was scored 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 in his favor. The bout served on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the event, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“AK Kid” called the judge who gave Garcia a round “an idiot,” but said the boos of the crowd, which came during a lackluster third round, were more upsetting.

After a pleasant pre-fight buildup, McKenzie said he and Garcia began arguing in the middle of the fight and trading fouls as Garcia grabbed his gloves and he landed a few shots to the back of the head.

“We got a little bit dirty,” McKenzie said.

“It was just a boring fight,” he said later. “I’m used to putting on more entertaining fights. It wasn’t my most entertaining fight. This was the first time in all my career I actually heard the crowd boo.”

McKenzie probably prompted the opposite reaction when he walked into the arena sporting a pair of loud, tight and colorful tights, which he said he borrowed from his longtime training partner and coach, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (whose mom makes the bright apparel). He said he only was able to secure a single sponsor for the event, Quest Nutrition, which paid him “a few thousand dollars” for wearing a hoodie.

“I wore these in tribute of Lyle,” McKenzie said. “He’s always been there for me, and he helped me this entire camp. I wouldn’t have won the fight without him.”

The fight put McKenzie, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” back in the win column following a first-round knockout loss at UFC 146 to Chad Menes, who put him down with a body shot.

Still, McKenzie admitted to slacking on his training and said he wasn’t in the best shape. No wonder: He reportedly cut 40 pounds to make the bout’s featherweight limit. Hence, he got tired later in the fight, and boos arose.

“This fight, I kind of went back to the old Cody McKenzie, where I was like, ‘Hey whatever, I fight for a hobby,’ and I fight better that way sometimes,” he said. “The Mendes fight, I think I took a little too seriously and trained too hard. Who knows, this game is a flip of a coin.

“I still want to be a world champ. I definitely need to work harder so I can push the pace higher. I have a lot of flaws in my game, and I mess up a lot. It’s all a learning process. I’m 25, and me and my buddy Lyle have just been figuring it out. I’m still figuring it out.”

If there was a silver lining to the experience, McKenzie said he heard his friend cheering for him cageside. His friends and family supported him through a less-than-ideal training camp. And he had the respect of UFC President Dana White, who praised his performance.

“Cody McKenzie beat [Garcia] tonight – every way you can beat a guy,” he said.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 98 results: Sam Alvey smiles way – mostly – to unanimous decision over Alex Nicholson

MEXICO CITY – After a slow start in his first round against Alex Nicholson, Sam Alvey found a winning formula for the fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 98 results: Beneil Dariush gets unanimous nod to hand Rashid Magomedov first UFC loss

MEXICO CITY – Beneil Dariush figured he wouldn’t wait until Rashid Magomedov found his rhythm.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tony Ferguson Has No Plans to Watch Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson is one of the top lightweights in the division, but says he couldn't care less about champion Eddie Alvarez's fight with Conor McGregor. read news >>

Stephen Thompson Plans to 'Muhammad Ali' Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is prepared for his first UFC title fight and plans to 'Muhammad Ali' champion Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 205's Karolina Kowalkiewicz plans to give champ Jedrzejczyk 'hardest fight of her life'

NEW YORK – No one has been able to figure out the puzzle that is UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. However, UFC 205 challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz insists she’s going to be the one to ge read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Plans Move to Lightweight Following Featherweight Fight in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Following his Bellator 164 bout in Israel, Georgi Karakhanyan plans to leave featherweight behind and make the move to lightweight for some pivotal bouts. read news >>

Eduard Folayang Plans to Prove the World Wrong in Shinya Aoki Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang knows that he is considered a long shot to defeat Shinya Aoki at ONE: Defending Honor, but he plans to prove the doubters wrong. read news >>

Former champ Miesha Tate plans to take some down time after UFC 205

NEW YORK – After a busy year, former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate is planning to take some time away from the sport following her upcoming UFC 205 bout with Raquel Pennington.Filed u read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping wants next defense at UFC 208, plans to retire when he drops belt

NEW YORK – With a record-tying 27 UFC fights to his name, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has put a time limit on his career – and it’s set around the length of his title reign.Filed under: read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>