Cody McKenzie plans MMA layoff following UFC 159 win over Leonard Garcia

• submit to reddit

cody-mckenzie-10.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – Following a unanimous-decision win over Leonard Garcia (15-11-1 MMA, 1-5 UFC) at UFC 159, Cody McKenzie (14-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he’s stepping away from the sport for at least six months.

“I’ve got stuff going on,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m going back to work on my MMA game a bit more too, but definitely just need to turn my life around a bit, and do some things right.”

McKenzie declined to speak on his reasons for taking a break, but admitted he was disappointed at the result of the fight, which was scored 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 in his favor. The bout served on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the event, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“AK Kid” called the judge who gave Garcia a round “an idiot,” but said the boos of the crowd, which came during a lackluster third round, were more upsetting.

After a pleasant pre-fight buildup, McKenzie said he and Garcia began arguing in the middle of the fight and trading fouls as Garcia grabbed his gloves and he landed a few shots to the back of the head.

“We got a little bit dirty,” McKenzie said.

“It was just a boring fight,” he said later. “I’m used to putting on more entertaining fights. It wasn’t my most entertaining fight. This was the first time in all my career I actually heard the crowd boo.”

McKenzie probably prompted the opposite reaction when he walked into the arena sporting a pair of loud, tight and colorful tights, which he said he borrowed from his longtime training partner and coach, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (whose mom makes the bright apparel). He said he only was able to secure a single sponsor for the event, Quest Nutrition, which paid him “a few thousand dollars” for wearing a hoodie.

“I wore these in tribute of Lyle,” McKenzie said. “He’s always been there for me, and he helped me this entire camp. I wouldn’t have won the fight without him.”

The fight put McKenzie, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” back in the win column following a first-round knockout loss at UFC 146 to Chad Menes, who put him down with a body shot.

Still, McKenzie admitted to slacking on his training and said he wasn’t in the best shape. No wonder: He reportedly cut 40 pounds to make the bout’s featherweight limit. Hence, he got tired later in the fight, and boos arose.

“This fight, I kind of went back to the old Cody McKenzie, where I was like, ‘Hey whatever, I fight for a hobby,’ and I fight better that way sometimes,” he said. “The Mendes fight, I think I took a little too seriously and trained too hard. Who knows, this game is a flip of a coin.

“I still want to be a world champ. I definitely need to work harder so I can push the pace higher. I have a lot of flaws in my game, and I mess up a lot. It’s all a learning process. I’m 25, and me and my buddy Lyle have just been figuring it out. I’m still figuring it out.”

If there was a silver lining to the experience, McKenzie said he heard his friend cheering for him cageside. His friends and family supported him through a less-than-ideal training camp. And he had the respect of UFC President Dana White, who praised his performance.

“Cody McKenzie beat [Garcia] tonight – every way you can beat a guy,” he said.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

DUBLIN -- UFC flyweight Ian McCall discusses his unanimous decision win over Brad Pickett at UFC Fight Night 46, why he was able to get past 'One Punch', whether he sustained any injuries in his fight, who he'd like to fight next and much more. more

LAS VEGAS – Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title with a unanimous decision win over Lyoto Machida on Saturday at UFC 175. Take a look at the varied scores from the fight.Filed under: News, UFC more

Chris Weidman earns unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida, retaining the middleweight crown at UFC 175. more

At UFC 175, Uriah Hall won a unanimous decision over Thiago Santos, and midway through the first round he suffered a gruesome dislocation on one of his toes. He was limping for more than two-thirds of the three-round fight but was still able to maintain dominance throughout. On Monday, he tweeted an X-ray of his injury, which clearly shows his distal phalange, the third bone within his second toe, completely out of place, as was seen on the pay-per-view broadcast between each round of the fight. more

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – With a full fight camp under his belt this time around, Aljamain Sterling was in a much better spot heading into UFC Fight Night 45. When he left the event, he was in an even better spot.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

At UFC 175, No. 3 middleweight contender Lyoto Machida will attempt to strip the championship title away from the division’s reigning champion, Chris Weidman. With the win, the Brazilian would set himself up to become the third mixed martial artist in UFC history to acquire a belt from two separate divisions. However, Machida’s opportunity to wrest the title away from Weidman does not come without its own set of challenges. Weidman is a NCAA Division I All-American wrestler who has transitioned more

Not only is Ronda Rousey the biggest star in women's MMA, but it can also be argued that she is the biggest star in MMA as a whole. With that in mind, a victory over Alexis Davis at UFC 175 is paramount in terms of continuing the growth of her division. Rousey is a perfect 9-0, and she will put the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship on the line Saturday night. Rousey is a heavy favorite due largely to her devastating armbar, but Davis poses an interesting challenge with her jiu-jitsu backgrou more

Former RFA middleweight champion Kevin Casey made his Octagon debut at UFC 175 on Saturday, and he was more than proud to rep his former promotion by handily defeating former Legacy FC champ Bubba Bush. more

While the judges gave UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman a unanimous decision nod for his UFC 175 victory over Lyoto Machida, most observers would likely agree the final two frames were very competitive and could have gone Machida's way. The judges only gave Machida the fourth as did UFC President Dana White, according to his post-fight press conference comments. Still, is that enough to get Machida a rematch? Probably not. "I gave Machida the fourth round," White said when explaining his s more