cody-mckenzie-10.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – Following a unanimous-decision win over Leonard Garcia (15-11-1 MMA, 1-5 UFC) at UFC 159, Cody McKenzie (14-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he’s stepping away from the sport for at least six months.

“I’ve got stuff going on,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m going back to work on my MMA game a bit more too, but definitely just need to turn my life around a bit, and do some things right.”

McKenzie declined to speak on his reasons for taking a break, but admitted he was disappointed at the result of the fight, which was scored 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 in his favor. The bout served on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the event, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“AK Kid” called the judge who gave Garcia a round “an idiot,” but said the boos of the crowd, which came during a lackluster third round, were more upsetting.

After a pleasant pre-fight buildup, McKenzie said he and Garcia began arguing in the middle of the fight and trading fouls as Garcia grabbed his gloves and he landed a few shots to the back of the head.

“We got a little bit dirty,” McKenzie said.

“It was just a boring fight,” he said later. “I’m used to putting on more entertaining fights. It wasn’t my most entertaining fight. This was the first time in all my career I actually heard the crowd boo.”

McKenzie probably prompted the opposite reaction when he walked into the arena sporting a pair of loud, tight and colorful tights, which he said he borrowed from his longtime training partner and coach, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (whose mom makes the bright apparel). He said he only was able to secure a single sponsor for the event, Quest Nutrition, which paid him “a few thousand dollars” for wearing a hoodie.

“I wore these in tribute of Lyle,” McKenzie said. “He’s always been there for me, and he helped me this entire camp. I wouldn’t have won the fight without him.”

The fight put McKenzie, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” back in the win column following a first-round knockout loss at UFC 146 to Chad Menes, who put him down with a body shot.

Still, McKenzie admitted to slacking on his training and said he wasn’t in the best shape. No wonder: He reportedly cut 40 pounds to make the bout’s featherweight limit. Hence, he got tired later in the fight, and boos arose.

“This fight, I kind of went back to the old Cody McKenzie, where I was like, ‘Hey whatever, I fight for a hobby,’ and I fight better that way sometimes,” he said. “The Mendes fight, I think I took a little too seriously and trained too hard. Who knows, this game is a flip of a coin.

“I still want to be a world champ. I definitely need to work harder so I can push the pace higher. I have a lot of flaws in my game, and I mess up a lot. It’s all a learning process. I’m 25, and me and my buddy Lyle have just been figuring it out. I’m still figuring it out.”

If there was a silver lining to the experience, McKenzie said he heard his friend cheering for him cageside. His friends and family supported him through a less-than-ideal training camp. And he had the respect of UFC President Dana White, who praised his performance.

“Cody McKenzie beat [Garcia] tonight – every way you can beat a guy,” he said.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

'The Comeback:' UFC 189's Mike Swick plans to finish Alex Garcia 'dominantly' after 2.5-year layoff

Mike Swick was on top of the world, considered one of the best fighters at 170 pounds. He returns to the place he once called home on July 11, 2015, after a two-year absence to take on Tristar Gym pr read news >>

CES MMA 29 co-headliner Matt Bessette's first fight was a life-threatening one

Outside of stepping in a cage for a sanctioned fistfight every couple months, Matt Bessette said his life is pretty mundane, but that hasn’t always been the case. His childhood was overshadowed by a read news >>

After first-round KO win, 44-year-old Dan Henderson has no plans for retirement

Saturday night would have been a perfect night for Dan Henderson to call it a career. After a rough stretch to the tune of five losses in six fights, the MMA legend flattened Tim Boetsch in just 28 s read news >>

Video: Dan Henderson plans to finish UFC contract, not considering retirement

Dan Henderson may be getting long in the tooth, but the mixed martial arts (MMA) legend plans to show he still has bite in the main event of UFC Fight Night 68 tonight (June 6, 2015) inside Smoothie read news >>

GLORY 22 results: Rico Verhoeven defeats Benjamin Adegbuyi by unanimous decision to retain heavyweight title

Rico Verhoeven successfully defended his GLORY heavyweight title at GLORY 22 in Lille, France on Friday Afternoon (June 5, 2015), defeating No.2-ranked Benjamin Adegbuyi by unanimous decision. You ca read news >>

Dan Henderson Video: Motived for Boetsch, Plans to Complete UFC Contract

Dan Henderson keeps getting asked if he's ready to retire. Well, not yet he's not. Hendo is motivated for Saturday's headlining bout with Tim Boetsch. read news >>

Former UFC champ Rashad Evans aims for September return, wants Ryan Bader

Rashad Evans’ long injury layoff appears to have an end in sight. The ex-UFC light heavyweight champion, who tore his ACL in early 2014, said he’s targeting a return in September – and wants Ryan Bad read news >>

Rashad Evans Plans Fall Return, Wants Ryan Bader in 1st Fight Back

The carousel at the top of the light heavyweight division spun off its usual course Wednesday, in part because one of its former champions, Rashad Evans, has apparently found a firm time frame for hi read news >>

UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos plans move to welterweight, wants to 'do some superfights'

Just like Ben Henderson, lightweight champion RDA wants to fight at welterweight in the future. A little more than two months have passed since Rafael dos Anjos dethroned lightweight kingpin Anthony read news >>

Fan Perspective: Should Carlos Condit get the next UFC welterweight title shot?

After an extended layoff due to knee surgery, Carlos Condit returned in a big way this past Saturday. But did he earn consideration to be next in line for the welterweight title? Filed under: Feature read news >>