soa-palelei-ufc-fight-night-33

BRISBANE, Australia – It’s going to be a good Christmas this year for UFC heavyweight Soa Palelei and his family.

Just prior to his showing at UFC Fight Night 33 against Pat Barry (8-7 MMA, 5-7 UFC), the native Aussie got some extra incentive to perform well.

“I got a message from my daughter this morning,” Palelei (20-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) said following the event, which took place at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Australia and aired on FOX Sports 1. “She wanted some Christmas presents. I was like, ‘Damn, I’ve got to win!’

“But it is a big win, and especially against Pat. But I’m happy to be representing Australia, and putting Australia and Perth on the map.”

Family and country weren’t the only things providing motivation. In his previous octagon outing, he injured his rib prior to the fight and limped through three rounds with Nikita Krylov. He managed a finish, but UFC President Dana White wasn’t shy in expressing how bored he was in watching it.

Because the bout came six years after a lackluster loss in a single UFC appearance, Palelei wanted a third chance to make a first impression.

Thankfully, he did just that. After quickly taking Barry to the ground in the first frame, he quickly took mount and let his hands go. Several punches later, Barry was unconscious, and he was the owner of an impressive win.

The speed at which Palelei advanced position and did damage was a key in his victory.

“I’ve been doing it for the past 16 years,” Palelei said. “I’m a first-degree Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. I’m really confident that if I get on top of you, you ain’t getting me off.”

Although he didn’t test out his thought, Palelei also felt confident he could hang if the fight stayed on its feet. As a sparring partner of the event’s headliner, Mark Hunt, he knew that he could take a punch.

“I know what his punches are like, and I knew Pat wouldn’t hit harder than Mark,” he said. “But I had to watch out for Pat’s kicks, because he’s got some real dangerous kicks.”

Like most fighters, Palelei differed to his management and the UFC to name his next opponent. But six-year gaps in his UFC record are a thing of the past.

“If the UFC tells me to fight another show, I’m happy to hop in there,” he said. “I’ll take a few weeks for Christmas break, but I’m ready.”

Although Palelei is 36 and has a limited amount of time to make an impact, his cause is aided by the heavyweight division’s relative lack of depth.

While Barry likely faces question about his viability, Palelei is proving his.

“I respect Pat as an athlete and a sportsman,” Palelei said. “He’s a really dangerous fighter. I was really worried about his kicks, but I played my game and hopefully, I made a statement today.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC 201 Early Weigh-in Results: Lawler vs. Woodley Set; Flyweight Bout Nixed

The UFC 201 welterweight title fight between champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Tyron Woodley is official for Saturday night's event in Atlanta. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 92 Early Weigh-in Results: No Surprises in Salt Lake City

The UFC Fight Night 92 featherweight headliner between Yair Rodriguez and Alex Caceres is set following Friday’s early morning official weigh-in. read news >>

Conor McGregor Still Hasn't Talked with New UFC Owners, Praises Fertitta, White

A big part of the early days of Conor McGregor's UFC career was how he endeared himself with the UFC's ownership group. These new guys, though? He doesn't know them quite yet. Speaking with Ariel Hel read news >>

UFC 202 Early Weigh-in Results: Diaz vs. McGregor Rematch is Good to Go

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 is now set after Friday morning's early official weigh-in took place in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 202 Early Weigh-in Video: Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor Make it Official

This is video of Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor officially weighing in Friday morning. There is a separate afternoon, ceremonial weigh-in for fans. read news >>

UFC 202 McGregor vs. Diaz: Early Weigh-In Results and Reaction

As is the new normal with the UFC, the actual weigh-ins for UFC 202 took place early on Friday. The staredowns and show will unfold later in the evening. This process gives the fighters crucial extra read news >>

UFC 202 Video: The Exchange with Nate Diaz – The Early Years

Megan Olivi sits down with Nate Diaz ahead of his rematch against Conor McGregor and talks about his early years. read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Early Main Card Preview and Predictions

• a day ago

After an epic month highlighted by a dramatic main event in UFC 202, the UFC is looking forward to an action-packed September with a card on every Saturday in the month. The biggest, of course, is it read news >>

UFC 202 Medical Suspensions: Conor McGregor Could Be Out Until Early 2017

• a day ago

Conor McGregor exacted his revenge upon Nate Diaz at UFC 202 on Saturday night, but he could find himself on the shelf until early 2017. read news >>

On The Rise: Vancouver Edition

• 21 hours ago

Early on the Fight Night Vancouver card and flying below the radar is a trio of young talents that hope to use this weekend’s event as a opportunity to launch their careers to the next level. This is read news >>