Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman was able to do what no other 185-pound fighter could before him, hand former titleholder Anderson Silva his first UFC loss in seven years of competition when the two fought at UFC 162 on July 6.

The 29-year-old New Yorker secured an early takedown in the title fight.  He attempted two submissions and knocked out the greatest of all time with a left hook in the second frame.  It was an amazing feat, but made more incredible by Weidman not being in top form for the fight.

“I think I went out there and worked hard and went for everything that I felt.  In the first round, I went for the heel hook and knee bar.  I didn’t get it, but I went for it.  I felt a little sluggish in there,” said Weidman during the UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 Press Conference in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Prior to the UFC 162 showdown with Silva, Weidman was sidelined with a shoulder injury and the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

“I had a year off.  I had two back-to-back surgeries.  So I didn’t feel 100-percent, but I still felt good enough to get the win,” he said.

Weidman was well prepared and in excellent condition when he stepped into the cage to face Silva at UFC 162.  Conditioning and training were not the issue.  Weidman was experiencing ring rust.

“I was prepared to go five rounds in the last fight.  I didn’t necessarily feel tired.  I just felt off.  I felt a little sluggish, a little slower,” said Weidman.

With the time off, the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and the nagging shoulder injury behind him, Weidman looks forward to the Dec. 28 rematch with Silva.

“I’m excited to have a full camp and be able to not have to nurse an injury and I’m excited for this next fight,” said the champion.

VIDEO: Watch Anderson Silva Throw Hands With His Son

The next Anderson Silva may very well be his next of kin. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Chris Weidman & Cris Cyborg

Former UFC Middleweight champion Chris Weidman joins Jim and Matt in studio to discuss everything from acting on Kevin Can Wait to fighting Anderson Silva. Also, reigning InvictaFC Featherweight cham read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens, Several Other Bouts Revealed for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Wednesday a host of bouts for the promotion's UFC 205 fight card in New York. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Taunts Eddie Alvarez, Conor McGregor Ahead of Next UFC Fight

UFC lightweight star Khabib Nurmagomedov has revealed he’s waiting on champion Eddie Alvarez to sign a contract sanctioning an upcoming bout and has also sent a message to featherweight champion Cono read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

• 15 hours ago

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero official for UFC 205 in NYC

• 15 hours ago

After weeks of uncertainty, New York native Chris Weidman finds a place on the first UFC card in New York.The former middleweight champion will be fighting No. 4 ranked middleweight Yoel Romero at th read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Latest, Perhaps Final, UFC 205 Bout | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

The long rumored bout between Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero is now official. It is the latest, and possibly final, confirmed bout for UFC 205. read news >>

Weidman Gets UFC 205 Home Game at MSG

• a day ago

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman won't be fighting to regain his 185-pound title on November 12, but competing in his home state on the historic UFC 205 card against Yoel Romero will read news >>