Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman was able to do what no other 185-pound fighter could before him, hand former titleholder Anderson Silva his first UFC loss in seven years of competition when the two fought at UFC 162 on July 6.

The 29-year-old New Yorker secured an early takedown in the title fight.  He attempted two submissions and knocked out the greatest of all time with a left hook in the second frame.  It was an amazing feat, but made more incredible by Weidman not being in top form for the fight.

“I think I went out there and worked hard and went for everything that I felt.  In the first round, I went for the heel hook and knee bar.  I didn’t get it, but I went for it.  I felt a little sluggish in there,” said Weidman during the UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 Press Conference in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Prior to the UFC 162 showdown with Silva, Weidman was sidelined with a shoulder injury and the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

“I had a year off.  I had two back-to-back surgeries.  So I didn’t feel 100-percent, but I still felt good enough to get the win,” he said.

Weidman was well prepared and in excellent condition when he stepped into the cage to face Silva at UFC 162.  Conditioning and training were not the issue.  Weidman was experiencing ring rust.

“I was prepared to go five rounds in the last fight.  I didn’t necessarily feel tired.  I just felt off.  I felt a little sluggish, a little slower,” said Weidman.

With the time off, the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and the nagging shoulder injury behind him, Weidman looks forward to the Dec. 28 rematch with Silva.

“I’m excited to have a full camp and be able to not have to nurse an injury and I’m excited for this next fight,” said the champion.

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>

Several Fighters Revealed for Bellator and Oktagon Co-Promotion in Italy

New details were revealed this afternoon regarding the co-promotion between Bellator MMA and Oktagon Kickboxing. The partnership is set to take place on April 16 in Italy. read news >>

Michael Bisping's plan: 'Destroy Anderson Silva,' get long-awaited title shot

Michael Bisping has no doubt he’s going to have his way with Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 83. When he does, he said he plans to “demand” a UFC title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196, Wants Heavyweight Title

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones has revealed he would be willing to fight heavyweight contender Stipe Miocic at UFC 196?but only if the heavyweight title is on the line. The u read news >>

UFC boss: Luke Rockhold to rematch Chris Weidman for middleweight title in June

Chris Weidman will get a chance to take back the UFC middleweight championship from Luke Rockhold when the pair rematch for the title in June.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman Immediate Rematch Headlines UFC 199

UFC president Dana White dropped some big fights on Wednesday, including a rematch between Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman. read news >>

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 Event Page and Fight Card

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 event page and fight card, featuring UFC middleweight rematch between Luk Rockhold and Chris Weidman. read news >>

Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman: Fight Date Announced, Comments and Reaction

On Wednesday afternoon, UFC President Dana White announced on Fox Sports' Garbage Time (via Damon Martin of FoxSports.com) that Luke Rockhold will defend his middleweight title against Chris Weidman read news >>

Chris Weidman shows off his catwalk skills

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman took to the Men's NY Fashion Week catwalk to show off his skills in the Grungy Gentleman show. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 84 Free Fight: Anderson Silva Clowns Stephan Bonnar

In his third UFC fight at light heavyweight, Anderson Silva earned a first-round knockout against Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153. read news >>