Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman was able to do what no other 185-pound fighter could before him, hand former titleholder Anderson Silva his first UFC loss in seven years of competition when the two fought at UFC 162 on July 6.

The 29-year-old New Yorker secured an early takedown in the title fight.  He attempted two submissions and knocked out the greatest of all time with a left hook in the second frame.  It was an amazing feat, but made more incredible by Weidman not being in top form for the fight.

“I think I went out there and worked hard and went for everything that I felt.  In the first round, I went for the heel hook and knee bar.  I didn’t get it, but I went for it.  I felt a little sluggish in there,” said Weidman during the UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 Press Conference in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Prior to the UFC 162 showdown with Silva, Weidman was sidelined with a shoulder injury and the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

“I had a year off.  I had two back-to-back surgeries.  So I didn’t feel 100-percent, but I still felt good enough to get the win,” he said.

Weidman was well prepared and in excellent condition when he stepped into the cage to face Silva at UFC 162.  Conditioning and training were not the issue.  Weidman was experiencing ring rust.

“I was prepared to go five rounds in the last fight.  I didn’t necessarily feel tired.  I just felt off.  I felt a little sluggish, a little slower,” said Weidman.

With the time off, the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and the nagging shoulder injury behind him, Weidman looks forward to the Dec. 28 rematch with Silva.

“I’m excited to have a full camp and be able to not have to nurse an injury and I’m excited for this next fight,” said the champion.

Anderson Silva is Recovering from Surgery, Posts Photo of the Aftermath

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva revealed a photo of the aftermath of the gallbladder surgery that forced him out of UFC 198. read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Chris Weidman at UFC 199: Latest Comments, Reaction

UFC has found a replacement for the injured Chris Weidman at UFC 199, as Michael Bisping will challenge Luke Rockhold on June 4, per Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Per Jason Floyd of the MMA read news >>

Michael Bisping gets UFC 199 title shot following Chris Weidman injury

Michael Bisping is stepping in for the injured Chris Weidman to face champion Luke Rockhold for the middleweight championship at UFC 199 in Los Angeles on June 4. read news >>

Michael Bisping Talks Luke Rockhold, Anderson Silva Ahead of UFC 199 Title Fight

Michael Bisping thinks “destiny” has handed him the chance to become the UFC middleweight champion as he gears up to face Luke Rockhold on June 4 at UFC 199. An injury to Chris Weidman left the main read news >>

Titan FC Has Signed Carina Damm, Its First Female Fighter

Titan FC officials on Thursday revealed to MMAWeekly.com that the promotion has inked its first deal with a female fighter. read news >>

UFC 198 Countdown Video: Anderson Silva vs. Uriah Hall

Go inside the training camps of a legend and rising star as they prepare for UFC 198: former middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Uriah Hall. read news >>

Anderson Silva Forced Out of UFC 198, May Require Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been forced to pull out of his UFC 198 bout with Uriah Hall. read news >>

Anderson Silva Pulled from UFC 198, May Need Gall Bladder Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will not participate in UFC 198 on Saturday. On Tuesday, Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports cited UFC President Dana White in reporting that Silva will not fig read news >>

Anderson Silva Underwent Successful Gall Bladder Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva underwent successful gall bladder surgery Wednesday morning, his manager told MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Dana White State of the UFC Video: Not for Sale, Anderson Silva Surgery, UFC 198, and More!

Dana White joined Colin Cowherd to breakdown all the fast moving UFC news, from the possible sale of the UFC, Anderson Silva's surgery, record crowds in Brazil, and more. read news >>