UFC-on-Fox-2-workouts-Chris-Weidman-081-460x270If UFC middleweight contender Chris Weidman had his choice to fight any fighter past or present, he would choose Anderson Silva.

Weidman will see his dream fight come to fruition on July 6 when he faces the middleweight champion in the main event of UFC 162 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.  It’s a fight he’s been training for his entire career.

“When I started MMA about four years ago, (Silva) was the champion at 185.  When I made the decision to go to 185, I had to believe I could beat the champion of the world, or there’s no reason for me to do this.

“So from the get-go, no matter who I was fighting coming out of Ring of Combat at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, I wasn’t only training to beat those guys who I was paired up against, I was training already at that point to beat Anderson Silva and become the best in the world,” said Weidman during a question and answer session prior to the UFC 159 weigh-ins on Friday.

“Now I’ve finally earned the opportunity to get that and I’m not going to let it slip through my fingers,” he continued. “I think I’ve got my dream match-up right here on July 6.  I really think I do.”

Weidman believes one of Silva’s best attributes is his ability to defeat opponents mentally before the fight ever begins.

“I think the best thing Anderson Silva does is mentally destroy people before they even get in the cage with him,” said the 28-year old New Yorker.  “Once you get in the cage with him, he does a great job of making you feel like you do not belong in this cage with me.  You’re terrible.  I’m the man.  You’re going to find a way out of out of this fight.”

Weidman doesn’t see that happening to him.

“I think the biggest thing is just – I’m very confident.  I know my skill set.  I’ve seen what Chael (Sonnen) has done to him.  I’ve seen his weaknesses and I think I can expose them again and look for a finish or a good performance,” he said.

Confidence, he believes, is the key.

“You’ve just got to be confident.  And you can say anything you want before the fight, but it’s all about when you touch those gloves do you still have the confidence, and I’m going to make sure I do.  It’s all mental.

“I really feel like, on paper, I’m a nightmare match-up for Anderson Silva.”

UFC 200 Primer: Ranking the 200 Biggest Moments in UFC History

UFC 200 on Saturday, July 9 is poised to be a landmark fight card in several different ways. With three titles on the line, the return of Brock Lesnar and another monster pay-per-view buyrate expecte read news >>

TUF Winner Barzola Faces Bochniak on Aug. 27

On Saturday, August 27, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada will be the site for an intriguing featherweight bout, as Peru's Enrique Barzola makes his first start since winning The read news >>

Anderson Silva Calls for Michael Bisping Rematch, Suggests Manchester UFC Fight

Legendary fighter Anderson Silva thinks UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is “afraid” to face him in a rematch. The Brazilian lost to Bisping narrowly in London earlier this year in a pulsati read news >>

Narantungalag Jadambaa, 40, Believes He is a Better Fighter Now Than Ever Before

Narantungalag Jadambaa, 40, heads into his ONE: Dynasty of Champions fight with Eric Kelly believing that he's never been better. read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Pena Head-to-Toe Breakdown

The focus at UFC 200 on July 9 may be on the women's bantamweight championship fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes, but another bout at 135 pounds is worth keeping an eye on as well. The featu read news >>

Unbeaten Prospect Phil Hawes Makes Quick Turnaround, Faces Louis Taylor at WSOF 32

World Series of Fighting announced today that undefeated prospect Phil Hawes will make a quick turnaround and step back in the decagon cage just six weeks after his promotional debut. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Comments on Steroid Allegations, WWE and More

Brock Lesnar will return to the Octagon at UFC 200 in a July 9 bout against Mark Hunt, but steroid allegations have cropped up of late, including from Hunt himself. Lesnar did his best to downplay th read news >>

Lobov Faces Avila at UFC 202

Before Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor renew their rivalry in the main event of UFC 202 on August 20 in Las Vegas, two of their teammates will square off, as Octagon newcomer Chris Avila takes on read news >>

TUF 23 Finale Video: Claudia Gadelha – The Championship is Coming Home

Top ranked women's Strawweight Claudia Gadelha believes that she is the perfect fighter to dethrone undefeated champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and bring the belt home to Brazil. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Video: Eddie Alvarez – The Underdog

Eddie Alvarez loves being the underdog. He's confident in his skill set and believes he will become victorious with the belt on the line at UFC Fight Night 90. read news >>