UFC-on-Fox-2-workouts-Chris-Weidman-081-460x270If UFC middleweight contender Chris Weidman had his choice to fight any fighter past or present, he would choose Anderson Silva.

Weidman will see his dream fight come to fruition on July 6 when he faces the middleweight champion in the main event of UFC 162 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.  It’s a fight he’s been training for his entire career.

“When I started MMA about four years ago, (Silva) was the champion at 185.  When I made the decision to go to 185, I had to believe I could beat the champion of the world, or there’s no reason for me to do this.

“So from the get-go, no matter who I was fighting coming out of Ring of Combat at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, I wasn’t only training to beat those guys who I was paired up against, I was training already at that point to beat Anderson Silva and become the best in the world,” said Weidman during a question and answer session prior to the UFC 159 weigh-ins on Friday.

“Now I’ve finally earned the opportunity to get that and I’m not going to let it slip through my fingers,” he continued. “I think I’ve got my dream match-up right here on July 6.  I really think I do.”

Weidman believes one of Silva’s best attributes is his ability to defeat opponents mentally before the fight ever begins.

“I think the best thing Anderson Silva does is mentally destroy people before they even get in the cage with him,” said the 28-year old New Yorker.  “Once you get in the cage with him, he does a great job of making you feel like you do not belong in this cage with me.  You’re terrible.  I’m the man.  You’re going to find a way out of out of this fight.”

Weidman doesn’t see that happening to him.

“I think the biggest thing is just – I’m very confident.  I know my skill set.  I’ve seen what Chael (Sonnen) has done to him.  I’ve seen his weaknesses and I think I can expose them again and look for a finish or a good performance,” he said.

Confidence, he believes, is the key.

“You’ve just got to be confident.  And you can say anything you want before the fight, but it’s all about when you touch those gloves do you still have the confidence, and I’m going to make sure I do.  It’s all mental.

“I really feel like, on paper, I’m a nightmare match-up for Anderson Silva.”

TJ Dillashaw Doesn't Blame Ronda Rousey (video) | MMAWeekly.com

TJ Dillashaw doesn't blame former women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey for her UFC 207 media absence, but believes it sets the standard for other fighters. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Avoided Media 'Because She Was Embarrassed' | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes' coach and former UFC featherweight Din Thomas believes Ronda Rousey avoided the media before UFC 207 because she was embarrassed. read news >>

BJ Penn's UFC Hall of Fame Speech (Fight Night Phoenix Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out former two-division UFC champion BJ Penn's Hall of Fame speech from July of 2015. He returns to the Octagon at UFC Phoenix on Jan. 15. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Doping: Latest Details and Reaction

Brock Lesnar's brief return to the UFC last July has cost him once again, as the former heavyweight champion has been suspended for one year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Per Marc read news >>

Yair Rodriguez: Mexico's New Face of MMA (UFC Phoenix Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Tenth ranked Yair Rodriguez believes that he was born to be a fighter and destined for greatness. He welcomes BJ Penn back to the Octagon on Jan. 15. read news >>

On Countdown: Penn believes and Rodriguez embracing 'his time'

UFC Fight Night Countdown, takes you inside the gyms of Penn and Rodriguez as they train day-in and day-out to prove which one; the former champion or the flashy newcomer, will have what it takes to read news >>

The UFC's best photos of 2016: Blood and sweat, bulging eyeballs and distorted faces

Take a look back at the best of the best UFC photos from 2016. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Photo Gallery, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva meets Derek Brunson at UFC 208 in Brooklyn

“The Spider” returns in March. Former middleweight champ and pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva is set to fight Derek Brunson at UFC 208 in Brooklyn. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson Announced for UFC 208

UFC President Dana White announced Friday that Anderson Silva will face Derek Brunson at UFC 208. He revealed the bout with the following tweet: UFC 208 will take place Feb. 11 at the Barclays Center read news >>

Anderson Silva Returns at UFC 208 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced on Friday that former middleweight champion Anderson Silva would return to the Octagon at UFC 208. read news >>