Anderson Silva at UFC 117Chris Weidman entered the HP Pavillion on Wednesday night with one goal in mind: to prove that he’s ahead of the rest of the pack.

At 8-0, the 28-year-old was sent into the lion’s den of the UFC’s middleweight division when he met Mark Munoz, but left unscathed.

Weidman outclassed Munoz on the ground in the first by securing an early takedown and pounding away from side control.  In the second round, Munoz was able to handle Weidman’s wrestling better and scrambled to his feet, but once on his feet Weidman landed a hard counter right elbow and finished Munoz with a flurry of right hands on the ground.

“I did believe I could come in here and dominate the fight,” Weidman said at the UFC on Fuel TV 4 post-fight press conference.

“A lot of people were asking me before the fight if I deserved the title, and I said, ‘I didn’t want to be one of those guys just calling out Anderson Silva.’ I mean, there’s six of those guys doing it right now and now I’m that guy too.  I said I want to make a statement in this fight and I want to make it blatantly obvious that I’m ahead of the pack.”

Many fans and pundits were picking Munoz over Weidman and thought that Munoz’s punching power was going to be the difference between the two standout wrestlers.  But after Weidman scored a second-round TKO over Munoz, the MMA world was stunned.

Even UFC president Dana White couldn’t believe his eyes after Weidman walked away from the Octagon with such a dominant performance.

“I’m as blown away as anybody,” White said on Fuel TV’s post-fight show.  “He looked incredible tonight.  Literally dominated Mark Munoz through the entire fight.”

The confidence of Weidman is sky high right now and at just 9-0, he enters the UFC middleweight title picture.

He knows that Anderson Silva is the most dominant UFC champion for a reason.  But come his crack at the title, the Team Serra-Longo protégé believes that he could follow Chael Sonnen’s blueprint, but then do what Sonnen couldn’t, and finish Silva via submission.

“I don’t want to be that guy who says it’ll be an easy fight after watching Chael do what he does because Anderson Silva’s been through 15 guys. All those 15 guys tried to take him down, hold him down, and try to submit him.

“Chael Sonnen is that good where he was able to get him down every single fight and hold him down and be good in that position.  So I’ll follow that blueprint.  I got the length with Anderson Silva too, so he’s not going to be able to play outside too much on me.  As soon as he comes in my takedowns are pretty good, I’ll get him down and I really do believe can submit him and finish him.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

VIDEO: Watch Anderson Silva Throw Hands With His Son

The next Anderson Silva may very well be his next of kin. read news >>

Aaron Blackwell Has All the Confidence to Win BAMMA Bantamweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Aaron Blackwell returns to fighting in a 135-pound main card title challenge against incumbent champion Alan Philpott at BAMMA 26 on Saturday in Dublin. read news >>

Miocic counters Overeem talk of championship complacency

Alistair Overeem is in for a surprise if he really believes Stipe Miocic is distracted heading into his first title defense in his hometown. Miocic said as much Thursday at the UFC 203 pre-fight pres read news >>

Tony Johnson Believes a Win Over Cheick Kongo Paves Way to Bellator Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Johnson has worked his way into a heavyweight main event fight against Cheick Kongo at Bellator 161 on Friday. Is it his route to the title? read news >>

Cody Garbrandt: Dominick Cruz is My Next Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Cody Garbrandt believes that there is no other fight for him other than a shot at UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Chris Weidman & Cris Cyborg

Former UFC Middleweight champion Chris Weidman joins Jim and Matt in studio to discuss everything from acting on Kevin Can Wait to fighting Anderson Silva. Also, reigning InvictaFC Featherweight cham read news >>

?Tyson Fury Will Not Fight Again, Says Eddie Hearn | FIGHTLAND

PA Images Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn believes Tyson Fury will not fight again, following the news that the Englishman has withdrawn from a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko on health grounds. Fury cau read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero official for UFC 205 in NYC

After weeks of uncertainty, New York native Chris Weidman finds a place on the first UFC card in New York.The former middleweight champion will be fighting No. 4 ranked middleweight Yoel Romero at th read news >>