Anderson Silva at UFC 117Chris Weidman entered the HP Pavillion on Wednesday night with one goal in mind: to prove that he’s ahead of the rest of the pack.

At 8-0, the 28-year-old was sent into the lion’s den of the UFC’s middleweight division when he met Mark Munoz, but left unscathed.

Weidman outclassed Munoz on the ground in the first by securing an early takedown and pounding away from side control.  In the second round, Munoz was able to handle Weidman’s wrestling better and scrambled to his feet, but once on his feet Weidman landed a hard counter right elbow and finished Munoz with a flurry of right hands on the ground.

“I did believe I could come in here and dominate the fight,” Weidman said at the UFC on Fuel TV 4 post-fight press conference.

“A lot of people were asking me before the fight if I deserved the title, and I said, ‘I didn’t want to be one of those guys just calling out Anderson Silva.’ I mean, there’s six of those guys doing it right now and now I’m that guy too.  I said I want to make a statement in this fight and I want to make it blatantly obvious that I’m ahead of the pack.”

Many fans and pundits were picking Munoz over Weidman and thought that Munoz’s punching power was going to be the difference between the two standout wrestlers.  But after Weidman scored a second-round TKO over Munoz, the MMA world was stunned.

Even UFC president Dana White couldn’t believe his eyes after Weidman walked away from the Octagon with such a dominant performance.

“I’m as blown away as anybody,” White said on Fuel TV’s post-fight show.  “He looked incredible tonight.  Literally dominated Mark Munoz through the entire fight.”

The confidence of Weidman is sky high right now and at just 9-0, he enters the UFC middleweight title picture.

He knows that Anderson Silva is the most dominant UFC champion for a reason.  But come his crack at the title, the Team Serra-Longo protégé believes that he could follow Chael Sonnen’s blueprint, but then do what Sonnen couldn’t, and finish Silva via submission.

“I don’t want to be that guy who says it’ll be an easy fight after watching Chael do what he does because Anderson Silva’s been through 15 guys. All those 15 guys tried to take him down, hold him down, and try to submit him.

“Chael Sonnen is that good where he was able to get him down every single fight and hold him down and be good in that position.  So I’ll follow that blueprint.  I got the length with Anderson Silva too, so he’s not going to be able to play outside too much on me.  As soon as he comes in my takedowns are pretty good, I’ll get him down and I really do believe can submit him and finish him.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

TUF 23 Finale Video: Claudia Gadelha – The Championship is Coming Home

Top ranked women's Strawweight Claudia Gadelha believes that she is the perfect fighter to dethrone undefeated champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and bring the belt home to Brazil. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Video: Eddie Alvarez – The Underdog

Eddie Alvarez loves being the underdog. He's confident in his skill set and believes he will become victorious with the belt on the line at UFC Fight Night 90. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Daniel Cormier Will Fight Anderson Silva at UFC 200; Tate vs. Nunes to Headline

Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 fight card to fight Anderson Silva. The card has been shuffled, moving Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes to headlining status. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Presser, Including Anderson Silva!

Watch as surprise guest Anderson Silva, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Press Conference with Special Guest Anderson Silva

Watch as Anderson Silva crashes the party, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

VIDEO: Anderson Silva and Dana White Explain Making the Fight with Daniel Cormier

UFC president Dana White and Anderson Silva talk about how it came about that Silva is stepping in to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200. read news >>

Anderson Silva steps up to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

After a earth-shattering last 24 hours, Daniel Cormier found an opponent for UFC 200: UFC legend Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Here's how it all came together and what Silva said about his fight. read news >>

Anderson Silva a Betting Underdog Against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a betting underdog going into his UFC 200 fight against Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Cormier vs. Silva: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 200

After the initial furore over Anderson Silva stepping in to face Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 following Jon Jones' removal from the card, it was time for the pair to weigh in ahead of their clash on Sat read news >>