Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270A lot of people picked Chris Weidman to defeat Anderson Silva at UFC 162 on July 6, including several fighters, but no one predicted it would end the way it did.

Weidman did what he said he was going to do and took the fight to Silva.  He pressured the former champion.  Early in the second round, Weidman landed a left hand that ended Silva’s title reign and set up one of the most anticipated rematches in UFC history.

The two will do it again on Dec. 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and it’s important to Weidman that he finishes Silva again to prove it was no fluke the first time.

“Very important.  I want to go out there and shine.  Obviously, there’s been a lot of doubters out there,” Weidman recently said during a UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 press stop in Brazil.

The success of his first title defense begins in the gym.

“The biggest thing for me is to train every single day.  It doesn’t just start when I walk into that cage,” said Weidman.  “Every day I’ve got to train as hard as I can, and just go out there and go as hard as I can.  Any type of instincts I’m feeling at the time, I’ve got to go for it, otherwise I’m going to have regrets.  And I’m going to be going for the finish the whole time.  That’s just the way I fight.”

Weidman doesn’t plan to change his strategy for the rematch and believes he’ll be an improved fighter when he steps in the cage at UFC 168.

“Pretty much the same strategy.  The only difference is, around this time before the last fight, I was nursing an injury and I wasn’t able to improve.  Right now, I’m able to still workout and improve every day,” he said.  “That’s really the only difference.   As far as strategy, it’s kind of the same for every one of my fights; walk forward.  It’s a chess game out there.  If he thinks I’m doing one thing, I’m going to do the other.”

While the first fight was one-sided, Weidman is expecting a war in the rematch.

“He’s as good as everybody thinks he is.  He’s known as the greatest of all time for a reason,” he said. “It’s no fluke.  He’s a stud.  I’m expecting a war in the next fight, and I’m hoping for a finish.”

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero official for UFC 205 in NYC

After weeks of uncertainty, New York native Chris Weidman finds a place on the first UFC card in New York.The former middleweight champion will be fighting No. 4 ranked middleweight Yoel Romero at th read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Latest, Perhaps Final, UFC 205 Bout |

The long rumored bout between Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero is now official. It is the latest, and possibly final, confirmed bout for UFC 205. read news >>

Weidman Gets UFC 205 Home Game at MSG

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman won't be fighting to regain his 185-pound title on November 12, but competing in his home state on the historic UFC 205 card against Yoel Romero will read news >>

Chris Weidman Carries the Pride of New York into UFC 205 (video) |

Former UFC champion Chris Weidman will enter his fight with Yoel Romero at UFC 205 with the pride of New York on his shoulders. read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>

Manager expects 'Bigfoot' Silva to be released, head overseas, comments on Roy Nelson kick

Antonio Silva’s longtime manager expects to restart the Brazilian heavyweight’s career overseas after his latest UFC loss.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mandy Polk Leveraging Her Competitive Fitness Background Heading into V3 Fights |

Mandy Polk hopes to leverage her competitive fitness background to ensure her success at V3 Fights on Saturday. read news >>

The 10 memorable moments from UFC Fight Night 96, with split calls, taunting and 'DC' on mic

Hopes were high that John Lineker and John Dodson would deliver a memorable scrap in UFC Fight Night 96’s main event. As we look back on Saturday’s memorable moments, the headliners did just that.Fil read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov taking tough stance on future title hopes into UFC 205 fight with Johnson

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov is taking a hard-line stance with his bosses ahead of his next fight in the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>