Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270A lot of people picked Chris Weidman to defeat Anderson Silva at UFC 162 on July 6, including several fighters, but no one predicted it would end the way it did.

Weidman did what he said he was going to do and took the fight to Silva.  He pressured the former champion.  Early in the second round, Weidman landed a left hand that ended Silva’s title reign and set up one of the most anticipated rematches in UFC history.

The two will do it again on Dec. 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and it’s important to Weidman that he finishes Silva again to prove it was no fluke the first time.

“Very important.  I want to go out there and shine.  Obviously, there’s been a lot of doubters out there,” Weidman recently said during a UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 press stop in Brazil.

The success of his first title defense begins in the gym.

“The biggest thing for me is to train every single day.  It doesn’t just start when I walk into that cage,” said Weidman.  “Every day I’ve got to train as hard as I can, and just go out there and go as hard as I can.  Any type of instincts I’m feeling at the time, I’ve got to go for it, otherwise I’m going to have regrets.  And I’m going to be going for the finish the whole time.  That’s just the way I fight.”

Weidman doesn’t plan to change his strategy for the rematch and believes he’ll be an improved fighter when he steps in the cage at UFC 168.

“Pretty much the same strategy.  The only difference is, around this time before the last fight, I was nursing an injury and I wasn’t able to improve.  Right now, I’m able to still workout and improve every day,” he said.  “That’s really the only difference.   As far as strategy, it’s kind of the same for every one of my fights; walk forward.  It’s a chess game out there.  If he thinks I’m doing one thing, I’m going to do the other.”

While the first fight was one-sided, Weidman is expecting a war in the rematch.

“He’s as good as everybody thinks he is.  He’s known as the greatest of all time for a reason,” he said. “It’s no fluke.  He’s a stud.  I’m expecting a war in the next fight, and I’m hoping for a finish.”

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

VIDEO: Luke Rockhold Believes an Anderson Silva Beatdown Puts Him Back at the Top

Luke Rockhold wants to get the UFC middleweight belt back, and he believes that a beatdown of Anderson Silva would put him right back in the thick of things. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

Eddie Alvarez determined to make a difference as champ

Eddie Alvarez is already giving back to the Philadelphia community as he hopes to inspire young people and others to strive for their dreams. Alvarez won the UFC lightweight title against Rafael Dos read news >>

Camp report: Longo shares training secrets

What's the secret behind the success for former UFC champion Chris Weidman, bantamweight contender Aljamain Sterling and rising lightweight star Al Iaquinta? Go inside their fight camp with coach Ray read news >>

Eddie Ng Expects Exciting Fight Against Honorio Banario at ONE: Heroes of the World

Eddie Ng expects and exciting fight with Honorio Banario, but he also expects to have his hand raised at the end of the night. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Will Defend 145-Pound Title, Stephen Thompson Gets Welterweight Title Shot

UFC president Dana White expects Conor McGregor to defend his featherweight title after his UFC 202 rematch against Nate Diaz. read news >>

Conor McGregor Non-Committal on Featherweight Defense, Wants NY or Dublin

Despite Dana White continuing to say that he expects Conor McGregor to defend his featherweight title next, McGregor hasn't yet committed to such a fight. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz Will Be Punished for Bottle-Throwing Incident

UFC president Dana White expects the Nevada Athletic Commission to be heavy handed when it punishes Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. read news >>

Jake Butler Hopes Drop to Middleweight Helps Secure Long-Awaited Title Shot

• 4 hours ago

On a four-fight winning streak, Jake Butler hopes drop to middleweight at ONE: Titles & Titans helps earn a shot at the belt. read news >>