Chris Lytle lost his first election last week, but he’s not giving up the fight.

The UFC veteran finished second out of three candidates in a Republican primary for a seat in the Indiana State Senate. He had 30 percent of the vote, falling short of the 41 percent that supported Michael R. Crider.

“I didn’t quite get in, but I’ll live to fight another day, I guess,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “It was obviously very, very dirty. They didn’t want people like me in there. They did a lot to try to keep me out. It was a very eye-opening experience. It was very disheartening to see how things are really done on that level. I think as a country, as a state and everything, we’re in some serious trouble here.”

Lytle is known for his toe-to-toe wars in the Octagon, but he was stunned by the tactics he encountered in his first political foray. At least initially, he was leaning toward making this first election his last.

“They spent a lot of money and they used a lot of their tactics to try to keep me out,” Lytle said. “At first I was like, you know what? If I try and do it again, they’re just going to continue to do the same type of tactics. But the competitive side of me and everything, I don’t want to stop at this. … If we want to keep on business as usual, the status quo -- a politician gets in there and does nothing -- everybody’s got to withdraw or not engage. The only way to stop it is everybody has to step up and start running. Normal people, people who actually pay attention. So yeah, I’m going to run again.”

Although at times Lytle’s fight career was brought up against him, he doesn’t think it was a factor in the race.

“Most people have never heard of me,” he said. “I had to go and earn their votes based on what I would say. It had nothing to do with fighting. I’d say 90 percent of the people who voted didn’t even know I ever competed in fighting.”

What hurt, said Lytle, was the use of push polling. The former welterweight contender said voters in his district were called and led to believe things about him that weren’t true, like that he had once said the only reason he fought professionally was because he can’t hit his kids and he has to hit somebody.

“They were calling everybody in my district and telling them things like that,” Lytle said.

Negative campaigning aside, Lytle hopes to get more young people to vote the next time he runs.

“I’ve just got to get to places where I can get more people to vote,” he said. “The people who are UFC fans, they’re not usually voting in primaries. I’ll be honest with you. I’ve got to get those type of people to actually come out and vote. If I get those people to come out and vote, the 18- to 35-year-olds, I’ll dominate.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:36:55).

Bellator 140 Preview and Predictions

Lost in the shuffle of the massive influx of UFC events in the last week is Bellator 140, which goes down Friday on Spike TV. Headlined by a welterweight bout between Douglas Lima and Andrey Koreshko read news >>

Kywan Gracie Behring, the last man to beat “The Notorious”, breaks down Conor McGregor’s jiu-jitsu skillls

Conor McGregor hasn’t lost a MMA fight since 2010, but that was not the last time he was defeated. Competing at the European Open No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu Championship in 2012, "The Notorious" couldn’t get pa read news >>

Mendes vs McGregor: Keeping Down, Not Taking Down, May Decide UFC 189 Main Event

It’s easy to get lost in promotional bluster when it comes to a Conor McGregor fight. Anything from a life-changing book-on-DVD to controversial rib fractures to testicles on the forehead of an oppon read news >>

UFC 189 Video: Dustin Poirier advises Chad Mendes on how to fight Conor McGregor

Dustin Poirier lost to Conor McGregor a year ago. Now he has some serious advice for Chad Mendes. read news >>

Lawler vs. MacDonald 2: Odds, Comments and Predictions for UFC 189

Lost in all the buzz surrounding UFC 189's main event between Conor McGregor and Chad Mendes is an epic co-main event between Rory MacDonald and Robbie Lawler. Usually the term co-main event is a bit read news >>

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor Fight Card, TV Info, Predictions and More

The main event at UFC 189 lost one of its stars, but the replacement could provide an even better bout. A rib injury forced Jose Aldo out of his grudge match with "The Notorious" Conor McGregor. Chad read news >>

Claudia Gadelha teases Jedrzejczyk on Twitter: 'You know you lost to me'

Claudia Gadelha fires at Joanna Jedrzejczyk on Twitter ahead of her number one contender match against Jessica Agular at UFC 190. Strawweight contender Claudia Gadelha, has a very decisive bout comin read news >>

UFC 189: Who's on the Hot Seat in Las Vegas This Weekend?

Although UFC 189 lost Jose Aldo, it remains an outstanding event that is filled with big names. Some of those noteworthy individuals will be competing for UFC gold. With Aldo out, Conor McGregor will read news >>

Wladimir Klitschko vs. Tyson Fury set for October 24th in German soccer stadium

Wladimir Klitschko hasn't lost in 11 years, but is England's Tyson Fury the man to dethrone the heavyweight king? We'll find out this October. Wladimir Klitschko (64-3, 53 KOs) has nearly every major read news >>

Despite loss of Aldo vs McGregor, Dana White expects record-setting $7M gate for UFC 189

UFC 189 might have lost it's big headliner, but will still be the most profitable live event on US soil in promotion history, according to the UFC president. When it comes to promoting and marketing read news >>