Chris Lytle lost his first election last week, but he’s not giving up the fight.

The UFC veteran finished second out of three candidates in a Republican primary for a seat in the Indiana State Senate. He had 30 percent of the vote, falling short of the 41 percent that supported Michael R. Crider.

“I didn’t quite get in, but I’ll live to fight another day, I guess,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “It was obviously very, very dirty. They didn’t want people like me in there. They did a lot to try to keep me out. It was a very eye-opening experience. It was very disheartening to see how things are really done on that level. I think as a country, as a state and everything, we’re in some serious trouble here.”

Lytle is known for his toe-to-toe wars in the Octagon, but he was stunned by the tactics he encountered in his first political foray. At least initially, he was leaning toward making this first election his last.

“They spent a lot of money and they used a lot of their tactics to try to keep me out,” Lytle said. “At first I was like, you know what? If I try and do it again, they’re just going to continue to do the same type of tactics. But the competitive side of me and everything, I don’t want to stop at this. … If we want to keep on business as usual, the status quo -- a politician gets in there and does nothing -- everybody’s got to withdraw or not engage. The only way to stop it is everybody has to step up and start running. Normal people, people who actually pay attention. So yeah, I’m going to run again.”

Although at times Lytle’s fight career was brought up against him, he doesn’t think it was a factor in the race.

“Most people have never heard of me,” he said. “I had to go and earn their votes based on what I would say. It had nothing to do with fighting. I’d say 90 percent of the people who voted didn’t even know I ever competed in fighting.”

What hurt, said Lytle, was the use of push polling. The former welterweight contender said voters in his district were called and led to believe things about him that weren’t true, like that he had once said the only reason he fought professionally was because he can’t hit his kids and he has to hit somebody.

“They were calling everybody in my district and telling them things like that,” Lytle said.

Negative campaigning aside, Lytle hopes to get more young people to vote the next time he runs.

“I’ve just got to get to places where I can get more people to vote,” he said. “The people who are UFC fans, they’re not usually voting in primaries. I’ll be honest with you. I’ve got to get those type of people to actually come out and vote. If I get those people to come out and vote, the 18- to 35-year-olds, I’ll dominate.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:36:55).

UFC 187: Who's on the Hot Seat in Las Vegas This Weekend?

It may have lost Jon Jones, but the UFC 187 card still looks excellent as Saturday's event approaches. With Jones' light heavyweight title being stripped, a new 205-pound champion will be crowned. Fo read news >>

Daniel Cormier says he was too 'emotionally attached' heading into Jon Jones fight: 'It consumed my life'

Daniel Cormier was crushed that he lost to Jon Jones in January. But man was he happy the whole thing was over. There was the press conference brawl, the heated verbal exchange caught on hot mics, an read news >>

UFC 187 preview for Weidman vs. Belfort: I've lost that loving feeling

Now it's gone, gone, gone. What a long, strange trip it's been. Chris Weidman will defend his middleweight title against Vitor Belfort in the co-headliner of the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event, loc read news >>

UFC Fight Night 66 Results: 5 Fights for Urijah Faber

It had been 10 years since Urijah Faber lost a fight that was not for a WEC or UFC title. It took a world-class competitor in Frankie Edgar to defeat The California Kid in 25 minutes of action. At 36 read news >>

Simon Marcus: Artem Levin 'knows he lost' after GLORY 21 majority draw

"Bad Bwoy" told MMAmania.com that Levin is "counting his blessings" after being able to retain the GLORY middleweight title due to the majority draw decision in their title fight at GLORY 21, and sai read news >>

VIDEO: Mark Munoz Gives Memorable, Emotional Farewell Speech

Despite a dominant performance, Mark Munoz followed through on his promise to retire, giving an emotional retirement speech as he left his gloves in the Octagon. read news >>

Eduardo Dantas vs. Mike Richman scrapped from Bellator 137

Bellator 137 has lost its co-main event. The bantamweight showdown between former champion Eduardo Dantas and Mike Richman, scheduled for Friday’s Bellator event in Temecula, Calif., was canceled aft read news >>

Mark Hunt wants vengeance on Fabricio Werdum: 'I've never lost a rematch'

UFC heavyweight contender Mark Hunt discusses his unfinished business with interim champ Fabricio Werdum ahead of his clash with Stipe Miocic at UFC Fight Night 65 on Saturday. Mark Hunt will stand t read news >>

'The other Jon Jones' has no intention of giving up his Twitter handle

Being the “other” Jon Jones is an adventure every few months for the man who controls the @jonjones handle on Twitter.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>