Chris Lytle lost his first election last week, but he’s not giving up the fight.

The UFC veteran finished second out of three candidates in a Republican primary for a seat in the Indiana State Senate. He had 30 percent of the vote, falling short of the 41 percent that supported Michael R. Crider.

“I didn’t quite get in, but I’ll live to fight another day, I guess,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “It was obviously very, very dirty. They didn’t want people like me in there. They did a lot to try to keep me out. It was a very eye-opening experience. It was very disheartening to see how things are really done on that level. I think as a country, as a state and everything, we’re in some serious trouble here.”

Lytle is known for his toe-to-toe wars in the Octagon, but he was stunned by the tactics he encountered in his first political foray. At least initially, he was leaning toward making this first election his last.

“They spent a lot of money and they used a lot of their tactics to try to keep me out,” Lytle said. “At first I was like, you know what? If I try and do it again, they’re just going to continue to do the same type of tactics. But the competitive side of me and everything, I don’t want to stop at this. … If we want to keep on business as usual, the status quo -- a politician gets in there and does nothing -- everybody’s got to withdraw or not engage. The only way to stop it is everybody has to step up and start running. Normal people, people who actually pay attention. So yeah, I’m going to run again.”

Although at times Lytle’s fight career was brought up against him, he doesn’t think it was a factor in the race.

“Most people have never heard of me,” he said. “I had to go and earn their votes based on what I would say. It had nothing to do with fighting. I’d say 90 percent of the people who voted didn’t even know I ever competed in fighting.”

What hurt, said Lytle, was the use of push polling. The former welterweight contender said voters in his district were called and led to believe things about him that weren’t true, like that he had once said the only reason he fought professionally was because he can’t hit his kids and he has to hit somebody.

“They were calling everybody in my district and telling them things like that,” Lytle said.

Negative campaigning aside, Lytle hopes to get more young people to vote the next time he runs.

“I’ve just got to get to places where I can get more people to vote,” he said. “The people who are UFC fans, they’re not usually voting in primaries. I’ll be honest with you. I’ve got to get those type of people to actually come out and vote. If I get those people to come out and vote, the 18- to 35-year-olds, I’ll dominate.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:36:55).

Chris Weidman: 'I'm Really Happy I Lost' UFC Middleweight Title at UFC 194

Chris Weidman has had a rough month. The now-former UFC middleweight champion suffered a brutal knockout loss to Luke Rockhold at UFC 194 that cost him his undefeated streak, his title and a decent c read news >>

Killing the King: TJ Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz | FIGHTLAND

Dominick Cruz never lost his title, yet TJ Dillashaw now holds it. We take a look at the technical ins and outs of the biggest bantamweight fight in MMA history. read news >>

With Donald Cerrone situation, a good case for altering UFC's outfitting policy

Donald Cerrone said he lost a “ludicrous” amount of money for violating the UFC’s outfitting policy, and challenged Reebok to give it to charity. It’s a noble request, but it’s directed at the wrong read news >>

Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez Battle to Regain Lost Luster at Fight Night 81

Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez have both known better days. While they aren’t quite down to desperation mode just yet, if either Pettis or Alvarez means to prove he belongs among the lightweight el read news >>

Video: T.J. Dillashaw says Dominick Cruz has 'two more days to be relevant'

BOSTON – Dominick Cruz may not have lost the bantamweight title in the cage, but T.J. Dillashaw feels like his countdown to irrelevance is on.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz have exchanged trash-talk by phone for years

Urijah Faber may have lost six consecutive title bouts, but that isn’t stopping him from thinking he’s in position to challenge newly crowned UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.Filed under: Feat read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Ryan Bader, Josh Burkman, Chris Lytle, and Paul Felder

Join Knockout Radio for their podcast featuring Ryan Bader, Josh Burkman, Chris Lytle, and Paul Felder, and the week's top MMA news! read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 weigh-in photos: A maple syrup gift that keeps on giving

NEWARK, N.J. – MMAjunkie was on scene for today’s UFC on FOX 18 fighter weigh-ins. Check out our photo gallery of the festivities.Filed under: Featured, News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>

Ex-champ Josh Barnett recalls giving 'kid' Ben Rothwell advice in Hawaii in 2002

NEWARK, N.J. – In 2002, Josh Barnett was just a month removed from winning the UFC heavyweight title when he found himself giving advice to fellow fighter Ben Rothwell in Hawaii. Fourteen years later read news >>

Sage Northcutt Tapped out by Bryan Barberena at UFC on Fox 18

Mixed martial artist Sage Northcutt lost to Bryan Barberena by submission in Round 2 of UFC on Fox 18 in New Jersey this Saturday. The UFC is all-in on Sage Northcutt. The 19-year-old is put front-an read news >>