Chris CulleyThe past year has been the most successful of featherweight “Urban Legend” Chris Culley’s career.

Most recently, Culley capped off a five-fight winning streak by taking the BAMMA USA featherweight championship against top prospect Jesse Newell on the promotion’s event in August, in a performance that was one of his strongest.

“I had a very game opponent (in Newell),” said Culley. “We knew he was going to be tough going into the fight, so we just did what we could in camp and covered all of our bases and stayed creative.

“I got to show some dominance, some technique that people haven’t seen before from me. So overall I liked the performance.”

Culley managed to do enough damage that when it came time for the fifth round, Newell wasn’t able to answer the bell. It’s a stoppage that Culley believes saved his opponent from further destruction.

“Towards the third round and fourth round, I really started landing a lot with really hard shots, so I think it was just smart coaching (on Newell’s team’s behalf to stop the fight),” said Culley.

“I personally felt he was down three rounds to one and I didn’t feel he had enough in the tank. I think if it would have gone to the fifth round, I think it wouldn’t have lasted very long. I think he could have endured more damage.”

Having alternated winning and losing streaks in the past, Culley told MMAWeekly.com that he feels like now he can maintain consistency thanks to changes he’s made of late in his fight preparation.

“It’s a testament to smart training,” he said. “Before, I wasn’t pushing myself as hard as I could, so I started taking other aspects of MMA more seriously; such as jiu-jitsu, grappling, wrestling and boxing.

“I started listening to my coaches rather than just doing it on my own and brought it all together. It’s been paying off.”

As for what’s next for Culley, maintaining his current winning streak against the toughest possible opposition is the most important thing for him going forward.

“To be honest, right now we’re taking a lot of calls, but we’re waiting on BAMMA and seeing who they match me up with next, and just playing it by ear,” he said.

“I went on a pretty crazy streak this year and have some buzz locally, so I just want to take smart fights and make sure that the fight is relevant and make sure I fight tough guys who are movers and shakers and make noise in the division.”

(Photo courtesy of www.bammausa.com)

The Rebirth of Dominick Cruz

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has been through the wringer. In the past five years, he's suffered four major injuries. After the first round of issues, he spent three years on the shelf. Th read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

Following Surgery, Chris Weidman Calls Michael Bisping’s Bluff, Wants First Shot at the Belt

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman underwent successful neck surgery earlier this week, and now he's already calling out Michael Bisping. read news >>

How Well Do You Remember the Career of Kimbo Slice?

Test your knowledge with a look back at the life and career of Kimbo Slice. read news >>

Ben Reiter Expecting to ‘Impose His Will’ at Bellator 156

Though he suffered the first loss of his career last November to Francisco France at Bellator 146, middleweight up-and-comer Ben Reiter doesn’t feel he was beaten in the fight. read news >>

Mike Santiago Taking Career to New Heights Heading into RFA 39

Following some rocky roads early on, Mike Santiago is taking his career to new heights heading into RFA 39. read news >>

Joseph Gigliotti Hoping RFA 39 Leads to a UFC Debut

Following a nearly year-long layoff, middleweight prospect Joseph Gigliotti returned to MMA this past January and picked right up where he had left off in 2015. read news >>