Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

TUF Winner Barzola Faces Bochniak on Aug. 27

On Saturday, August 27, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada will be the site for an intriguing featherweight bout, as Peru's Enrique Barzola makes his first start since winning The read news >>

Unbeaten Prospect Phil Hawes Makes Quick Turnaround, Faces Louis Taylor at WSOF 32

World Series of Fighting announced today that undefeated prospect Phil Hawes will make a quick turnaround and step back in the decagon cage just six weeks after his promotional debut. read news >>

Lobov Faces Avila at UFC 202

Before Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor renew their rivalry in the main event of UFC 202 on August 20 in Las Vegas, two of their teammates will square off, as Octagon newcomer Chris Avila takes on read news >>

UFC 200: Submission Artist Joe Lauzon's 5 Bossest Submissions

At UFC 200 on Saturday, Joe Lauzon heads the Fight Pass prelims when he faces Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Diego Sanchez. Lauzon, however, is a seasoned BJJ practitioner as well and has routinely e read news >>

Roy Nelson: ‘Derrick Lewis is the Black Fedor’ (Full Scrum Video)

Heading into his UFC Fight Night 90 "black panty night" co-main event, Roy Nelson calls his opponent, knockout artist Derrick Lewis, the Black Fedor. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Results: Derrick Lewis Takes Split Decision Over Roy Nelson, Calls for Rematch

Rising heavyweight Derrick Lewis requested a fight against tenth ranked Roy Nelson and got what he asked for on Thursday in the UFC Fight Night 90 co-main event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC FN 90

Derrick Lewis defeated Roy Nelson by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) at UFC Fight Night 90. It was a clash of styles, and the Las Vegas crowd was not a fan of the scorecards that were read. We w read news >>

Jon Jones B Sample Results Confirm Initial USADA Findings

Jon Jones faces sanctioning following the confirmation of drug test results indicating that he violated the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

Paul Daley on Bellator 158 Douglas Lima Bout: ‘I Have to Knock Him Out’

Paul "Semtex" Daley faces Douglas Lima in the Bellator 158 main event at the O2 Arena on London on July 16 an plans to score a knockout. read news >>

Oli Thompson Ready for ‘Huge Opportunity’ Against Matt Mitrione at Bellator 158

Heavyweight Oli Thompson knows he faces a big challenge at Bellator 158 in London on July 15 when he faces UFC veteran Matt Mitrione at the O2 Arena. read news >>