Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Watch Dustin Poirier Stop Akira Corassani (UFC Hidalgo Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Before Dustin Poirier faces Michael Johnson at UFC Fight Night 94 in Hidalgo, Texas, watch this full fight video of Poirier stopping Akira Corassani. read news >>

Tony Johnson Believes a Win Over Cheick Kongo Paves Way to Bellator Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Johnson has worked his way into a heavyweight main event fight against Cheick Kongo at Bellator 161 on Friday. Is it his route to the title? read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Kongo vs. Johnson Card

On Friday night in the main event of Bellator 161, Cheick Kongo won a woeful heavyweight bout via majority decision over Tony Johnson. If you wanted to make someone hate mixed martial arts, you shoul read news >>

UFC's Derek Brunson Proves He's MW's Most Underrated but Still Faces Long Road

Following his first-round knockout of Uriah Hall in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 94, Derek Brunson proclaimed himself ready for a title shot. After dropping Hall with a left hand h read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Fight Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the Bellator 161 fight highlights, where Cheick Kongo got the better of Tony Johnson, and former champ Joe Warren got back on the winning track. read news >>

Reasons to watch Fight Night Brasilia on Saturday, Sept. 24

Cyborg's return to the Octagon, former champion Renan Barao, Roy Nelson vs Bigfoot Silva ... There are plenty of reasons to tune in to Fight Night this Saturday. read news >>

Friends and Rivals: Antonio Silva promises Roy Nelson sightseeing trip after fight

Sometimes in the crazy world of MMA, a friend might end up across from you inside the cage. This is wat Roy Nelson and Bigfoot Silva are facing Saturday when the heavyweights collide at Nilson Nelson read news >>

Bigfoot Silva and Roy Nelson Ham It Up at UFC Brasilia Staredowns | MMAWeekly.com

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and Roy Nelson hammed it up for the cameras at Thursday's UFC Fight Night 95 staredowns in Brasilia, Brazil. read news >>