Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Video: UFC Fight Night 82 media day face-offs, including many strange Roy Nelson faces

LAS VEGAS – Check out all the face-offs from today’s UFC Fight Night 82 media day, which include the card’s top fighters and two men trying to make a case to be the one to welcome Phil “CM Punk” Broo read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82’s Roy Nelson: The Roy Nelson experience is the UFC experience

How long can UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson keep trucking? A while longer, from the sound of it. The way Nelson sees things, there’s job security in the skill set he possesses.Filed under: Featured Video read news >>

Road warrior Nelson eager to get back on track at home

UFC's road warrior Roy Nelson finally returns to USA, and he's hoping to kickstart his title hopes back home in Las Vegas. read news >>

VIDEO: Are You Ready for the Roy Nelson Fight Experience?

UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson breaks down his UFC Fight Night 82 match-up with Jared Rosholt AND the "Roy Nelson Fight Experience!" read news >>

Roy Nelson keeping it light ahead of UFC Fight Night 82, finding his jiu-jitsu again

LAS VEGAS – With five losses in his past six fights, it might be understandable if Roy Nelson wasn’t having a lot of fun at his day job these days. But it’s just the opposite.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 Joe Silva Video Preview: Roy Nelson vs. Jared Rosholt

UFC matchmaker Joe Silva breaksdown the UFC Fight Night 82: Hendricks vs. Thompson co-main event between heavyweights Roy Nelson and Jared Rosholt. read news >>

Roy Nelson Fights Guys, Not into Playing Tag (UFC Fight Night 82 Scrum Video)

Roy Nelson talks about his pending UFC Fight Night 82 bout with Jared Rosholt, his philosophy on fighting, and his son's great hair. read news >>

Roy Nelson’s Adorable UFC Fight Night 82 Workout with His Young Son (Video)

Heavyweight Roy Nelson's UFC Fight Night 82 media workout prior to Saturday's event was directed by his young son. Check out the adorable video. read news >>

Twitter reacts to ugly Roy Nelson win over Jared Rosholt at UFC Fight Night 82

Roy Nelson was in desperate need of a victory at UFC Fight Night 82. That’s exactly what he got. But his victory over Jared Rosholt in the heavyweight co-headliner at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Aren read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 results: Roy Nelson tops Jared Rosholt for first decision win since 2007

LAS VEGAS – Those hoping for heavyweight fireworks didn’t get them from Roy Nelson and Jared Rosholt. They got a largely tentative affair with one fighter worried about the takedown and other concern read news >>