Cheick Kongo Willing to Get Crazy to Beat Unorthodox Roy Nelson at UFC 159

• submit to reddit

Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Several notable UFC fighters believe that the Nevada State Athletic Commission was far too lenient in the sanctions they handed down to Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen at yesterday's hearing. As a matter of fact, Belfort didn't face any sanctions at all—despite admitting that he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone during a random drug screening in February. Belfort was granted a conditional license, which means he will be subject to numerous random drug tests from the NSAC, until read news >>

If you thought Bellator MMA was just going to roll over on Sept. 5, you better think again. Bellator MMA is not going down without a fight. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) scheduled its upcoming UFC Fight Night 50 mixed martial arts (MMA) event on FOX Sports 1 from the Foxwoods Resort & Casino in Ledyard, Conn., the same night Spike TV airs its Bellator 123 fight card at Mohegan Sun Resort & Casino in Uncasville. And both promotions are bringing their A game for the Friday night face off. T read news >>

Bellator is bringing out its big guns for September 5th's unofficial battle for Connecticut. In an effort to keep pace with UFC Fight Night 50, Bellator officials announced on Wednesday that Bellator 123 will be highlighted by the returns of both Cheick Kongo and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, as well as the promotional debut of Bobby Lashley. As previously announced, the event is headlined by a featherweight championship rematch between Pat Curran and Patricio Freire. "I've been wanting this rematch read news >>

The UFC affords its fighters the unique opportunity to travel the world to someone else’s backyard and to beat them up there for prizes and glory. read news >>

Bellator 123 lands at the Mohegan Sun on Sept. 5, featuring Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull Freire, King Mo Lawal, Cheick Kongo and Bobby Lashley. read news >>

In addition to a previously announced title fight, September’s Bellator 123 event has added some notable names to the fight card.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

DUBLIN – If the fans in Dublin are this loud for prelim fighters like Neil Seery, Cathal Pendred and Patrick Holohan, how in the world are they going to react when Conor McGregor walks out?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

In this episode of UFC 175 Embedded, Ronda Rousey juggles media and eating, the fighters interact with fans at workouts, Chris Weidman works out at Zuffa headquarters, Alexis Davis talks strategy, and more. read news >>

At the UFC 175 weigh-ins, all 22 fighters taking part in Saturday night's UFC 175 fights will step on the scale Friday evening, and we'll have the live video here at MMAFighting.com.In the main event, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida will have to make the middleweight limit of 185 pounds.The UFC 175 weigh-in takes place at 7 p.m. ET at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, and the video is above. Check out the UFC 175 weigh-in results below.Main card (PPV at 10 p. read news >>