Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Douglas Lima Faces Chidi Njokuani in Bellator 156 Co-Main Event

A duo of Bellator MMA’s top welterweights, Chidi Njokuani and Douglas Lima, will square off in the co-main event of “Bellator 156: Galvao vs. Dantas 2” on June 17. read news >>

Invicta FC 17 Gets Second Title Fight, Champion Livia Renta Souza Faces Angela Hill

A second championship match-up has been added to the card for Invicta FC's return to Orange County on Saturday, May 7, as Costa Mesa, Calif., hosts Invicta FC 17. read news >>

Derrick Lewis plans to stop Gabriel Gonzaga in first, stop Roy Nelson in July

ZAGREB, Croatia – Heavyweight Derrick Lewis has a simple plan for his UFC Fight Night 86 appearance: knock Gabriel Gonzaga out in the first round and book a fight with Roy Nelson.Filed under: Feature read news >>

Nurmagomedov Faces Newcomer Horcher in Tampa

It was announced Tuesday that the UFC on FOX main event between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov was off due to a Ferguson injury, and two days later, "The Eagle" has a new dance read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Results: Derrick Lewis Knocks Out Gabriel Gonzaga and Calls Out Roy Nelson

Former Legacy FC heavyweight champion Derrick Lewis continues to make his mark in the UFC. “The Black Beast” knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86 in Zagreb, Croatia on Sunday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86’s Derrick Lewis anticipates Roy Nelson at UFC 200 and a Twitter war

ZAGREB, Croatia – UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis called out Roy Nelson and wound up getting Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86. But now he wants to restore that callout of Nelson for a fight this s read news >>

Brian Rogers Plans to Unleash the Predator on Italy at Bellator 152

Back on track, Brian Rogers plans to unleash the Predator on Italy, when he faces Alessio Sakara this week at Bellator 152. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19's Santiago Ponzinibbio on Court McGee: 'I'll run him over'

Santiago Ponzinibbio faces a big test tomorrow night when he faces “TUF 11” winner Court McGee at UFC on FOX 19. However, Ponzinibbio thinks his style will simply be too much for McGee to handle.File read news >>

Is this the end for Rashad Evans?

After a devastating knockout loss, former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans faces questions about the end of his career. He seems to be honestly and thoughtfully considering them, too. Beca read news >>

Dana White: ‘I Think Rashad Evans is Probably Going to Retire’

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans faces some tough questions looking ahead after suffering his second consecutive loss on Saturday. read news >>