Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Claudia Gadelha Faces Cortney Casey at UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo |

A women's strawweight bout between contender Claudia Gadelha and No. 14-ranked Cortney Casey has been added to the Fight Night card in Sao Paulo, Brazil. read news >>

Bellator inks Cheick Kongo, Ilima Macfarlane to multi-fight contract extensions

Bellator has signed two of its notable fighters to contract extensions. Heavyweight Cheick Kongo and women’s flyweight Ilima Macfarlane have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the organi read news >>

Dana White scolds 'despicable' Roy Nelson for kick of John McCarthy: 'He needs to be buried'

UFC President Dana White has never been particularly fond of heavyweight Roy Nelson. It appears that’s the case even more so after “Big Country” put himself in hot water following a post-fight kick o read news >>

Manager expects 'Bigfoot' Silva to be released, head overseas, comments on Roy Nelson kick

Antonio Silva’s longtime manager expects to restart the Brazilian heavyweight’s career overseas after his latest UFC loss.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Volkov signs with UFC, faces Timothy Johnson at UFN 99

Longtime Bellator MMA fighter Alexander Volkov has made the transition to the UFC and will debut against Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight Night 99.There's been many Bellator MMA fighters who have ma read news >>

Roy Nelson In Hot Water with Dana White and Brazilian Commission for Kicking Referee |

Roy Nelson will likely face disciplinary action from the UFC and the Brazilian athletic commission for kicking referee John McCarthy at UFC Brasilia. read news >>

Jason High Talks Roy Nelson Ref Kick, Calls for 'Consistency' in UFC Discipline

Jason High has a fight coming up Saturday in his native Kansas City, Missouri, against a dangerous submission artist. If he can notch a victory, he has a pretty airtight case to compete for World Ser read news >>

WSOF 33's Jason High doesn't want Roy Nelson fired, but doesn't want to get dragged into it

WSOF lightweight Jason High had to know his name would get brought up in the wake of Roy Nelson’s controversial kick of referee “Big” John McCarthy. But after all this time, he’d rather just people f read news >>

Roy Nelson Facing Lengthy Suspension and Large Fines for Kicking Ref |

Roy Nelson is facing a potentially lengthy suspension and significant fines over his kicking of referee John McCarthy at UFC Brasilia. read news >>

Russia faces controversy over televised children's MMA fights

The Russian region of Chechnya has come under fire this week because they are televising children's MMA fights.Well this may very well be one of the most bizarre things you'll see all week. read news >>