Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

From Around the Web

Who won UFC 184: Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano full fight play-by-play updates

Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey faces her stiffest test to date inside the Octagon TONIGHT (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015) in UFC 184's main event from Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., against read news >>

Kyle Noke faces Andreas Stahl at UFC Fight Night 65

Kyle Noke is the latest Aussie slated to fight on the UFC Fight Night 65 fight card on May 10 at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre in Hindmarsh, Australia.Noke (20-7-1), who has won two of his past f read news >>

UFC 185 fight card: Roy Nelson vs Alistair Overeem fight preview

Roy Nelson and Alistair Overeem will hunt for the knockout this Saturday (March 14, 2015) at UFC 185 inside the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. Between two heavy hitters, what adjustments read news >>

Patience is Key for Sergio Pettis

Sergio Pettis faces Ryan Benoit at UFC 185 in Dallas’ American Airlines Center on Saturday, and for the second time he will be on a UFC card that his older brother Anthony is headlining. read news >>

UFC 185: 'Improved' Alistair Overeem hoping to knockout Roy Nelson, 'but it takes two to tango'

Personally, I don't think he'll have much trouble getting "Big Country" to engage in a stand-up war. Roy Nelson suffered the first knockout (KO) loss of his mixed martial arts (MMA) career after his read news >>

UFC 185: Pettis vs. dos Anjos - Idiot's Guide Preview to Roy Nelson vs. Alistair Overeem

David Castillo on the three things you need to know about the lone but fascinating heavyweight fight on the main card in Dallas, TX for UFC 185. Before Anthony Pettis and Rafael dos Anjos take center read news >>

Roy Nelson on UFC's new drug policy: 'Is it really going to make a difference?'

DALLAS -- Roy Nelson could be accused of a lot of things, but being a drug cheat isn't one of them. Three years before increased testing was the topic du jour in mixed martial arts, Nelson was leadin read news >>

Roy Nelson hopes Alistair Overeem doesn't become a 'point and run' Greg Jackson fighter

Ahead of his UFC 185 showdown with Alistair Overeem on Saturday night, heavyweight Roy Nelson had some interesting things to say about his opponent and his thoughts on the style of Greg Jackson's fig read news >>

UFC 185: Roy Nelson vs. Alistair Overeem Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Before the lights dim low and Anthony Pettis defends his lightweight title at UFC 185, two heavyweights will take to the Octagon in vicious manner. As members of the division's Top 10 club, No. 8 Roy read news >>