Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

UFC Saskatoon: Holloway vs. Oliveira Full Results and Live Fight Analytics

UFC Saskatoon: Holloway vs. Oliveira full results and live fight analytics from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, where Max Holloway faces Charles Oliveira. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Skips Miesha Tate Trilogy, Faces Holly Holm at UFC 195

Although Miesha Tate was the initial plan for Ronda Rousey's next title defense, inexplicably, she has been set to the side in favor of Holly Holm. read news >>

Former Bellator champ Pat Curran faces UFC vet Justin Lawrence at Bellator 145

Justin Lawrence will return to the Bellator cage for the second time when he faces former featherweight champion Pat Curran at Bellator 145.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Wednesday Fight Update

Upcoming fight cards will see one change and one addition, as women's bantamweight contender Raquel Pennington now faces Jessica Andrade, and Erik Perez returns from a long layoff to square off read news >>

Henry Cejudo Faces Jussier Formiga at UFC Fight Night 78 in Mexico

Undefeated flyweight contender Henry Cejudo takes on third-ranked Jussier Formiga at UFC Fight Night 78 in Mexico on Nov. 21. read news >>

Cejudo Faces Formiga in Mexico

Unbeaten in back-to-back bouts at 125 pounds, Henry Cejudo will continue his march toward a world title shot when he battles Brazilian contender Jussier Formiga on November 21 in Monterrey, Mexico. read news >>

Updated: 'Wandy' offers no evidence to support fixed-fight claims, faces lawsuit over comments

It’s no secret that Wanderlei Silva is not fond of the UFC or its management. The former PRIDE and UFC star has been lashing out at UFC officials since running out of a gym to avoid a NSAC drug test read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74 Fight Card: Neil Magny Replaces Rick Story, Faces Erick Silva

Less than one month after seeing his seven-bout winning streak snapped by Demian Maia, Neil Magny will return to the Octagon and look to get back into the win column. With Rick Story injured, Magny h read news >>

Neil Magny in for injured Rick Story, faces Erick Silva at UFC Fight Night 74

UFC Fight Night 74 has a new co-main event following an injury to Rick Story.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Pic: 14-year old Ronda Rousey named one of Sports Illustrated’s 'Faces in the Crowd' back in 2001

Sports Illustrated doesn't always get it right. In 2011, the magazine predicted the Red Sox would win 100 games, clinch the American League East, and move on to win baseball's World Series. Instead, read news >>