UFC president Dana White recently revealed that heavyweight Cheick Kongo had turned down two separate fights offered by the promotion.

Just last week, Kongo was offered to step in on short notice to face Roy Nelson at The Ultimate Fighter finale in December when original opponent Shane Carwin was forced out of the fight due to injury.

The other fight had never been revealed until Tuesday when Kongo let the cat out of the bag when responding to a fan via Twitter.

According to the French heavyweight, the other fight he was offered, again on short notice, was a bout against Daniel Cormier in Strikeforce.

When asked by a fan who Kongo declined to fight, he responded, “Cormier, short notice”.

Cormier lost his original opponent, Frank Mir, due to injury for a scheduled fight card on Nov. 3 in Oklahoma City. When a suitable replacement couldn’t be found, and other bouts were also scrapped due to injury, the entire card had to be cancelled.

Kongo has stood by his decision to turn down the fights stating, “I did not refuse to fight Roy Nelson. I refused to take a fight on short notice, which is not the same at all.”

White doesn’t necessarily agree with Kongo when talking about fighters stepping up on short notice when the promotion needs them.

“It’s a lot more normal with guys who are worried about losing. Guys who are in a position where if they lose, you know what I mean? You’re either fighters or you’re not. If you win, you win, if you lose, back to the drawing board,” said White.

“That’s the business you’re in. When you turn down a fight, you turn down a fight, and that’s two in a row (for Kongo). I don’t know who he’s waiting for.”

For his part, Kongo has worked to do a little of his own matchmaking with fellow heavyweight Stefan Struve, as they discussed fighting one another via Twitter on Tuesday, but no offer has been made yet by the UFC for the fight to actually come to fruition.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Is Conor McGregor the UFC's Top Pound-for-Pound Fighter? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 21 views

Dana White recently said that Conor McGregor is the top pound-for-pound fighter. Do you agree? read news >>

Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson Announced for UFC 208

  • 3 days ago
  • 13 views

UFC President Dana White announced Friday that Anderson Silva will face Derek Brunson at UFC 208. He revealed the bout with the following tweet: UFC 208 will take place Feb. 11 at the Barclays Center read news >>

Anderson Silva Returns at UFC 208 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 70 views

UFC president Dana White announced on Friday that former middleweight champion Anderson Silva would return to the Octagon at UFC 208. read news >>

Mark Hunt Sues UFC, Dana White, Brock Lesnar over UFC 200 Fight

  • 6 days ago
  • 23 views

Mark Hunt has filed a civil lawsuit against the UFC, President Dana White and Brock Lesnar over his fight with Lesnar at UFC 200, claiming the parties colluded for an unfair competitive environment. read news >>

Mark Hunt files civil suit against UFC, Brock Lesnar, Dana White, alleges racketeering, conspiracy, fraud

  • 6 days ago
  • 113 views

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt is known as one of the hardest hitters in all of MMA. Apparently, he swings pretty hard in court, as well.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Responds to Dana White's Offer: 'You're a F***ing Comedian' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 1108 views

UFC president Dana White officially made Floyd Mayweather an offer to box UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. Money responded as only Money would. read news >>

Report: Injury knocks Stefan Struve from UFC Fight Night 105 headliner vs. Junior Dos Santos in Halifax

  • 4 days ago
  • 7 views

Stefan Struve has suffered a shoulder injury and is out of a headlining rematch against former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos, according to a report.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stefan Struve Out of UFC Fight Night Heavyweight Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

  • 4 days ago
  • 17 views

Junior dos Santos and Stefan Struve were expected to headline the Feb. 19 Fight Night event in Cananda, but an injury has broken up the bout. read news >>

Dana White offers Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather $25 million each and PPV cut

  • 3 days ago
  • 21 views

UFC President Dana White has stepped in between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor, blasting the boxing champ’s offer to the Irish UFC champ and countering with his own. Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

Dana White not expecting another comeback by ex-UFC champ Brock Lesnar

  • 20 days ago
  • 13 views

Never say never, but it appears Brock Lesnar’s career as a UFC fighter could be over once and for all.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>