Bellator light heavyweight champion Attila Vegh has suffered a shoulder injury, prompting promotion officials to book a Nov. 2 rematch between Muhammed Lawal and Emanuel Newton.

The contest, which takes place during Bellator’s pay-per-view debut, will decide the promotion’s first interim light heavyweight champion. Lawal-Newton joins a burgeoning card headlined by a light heavyweight showdown between former UFC champions Quinton Jackson and Tito Ortiz. The event takes place at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, Calif., and will also see lightweight champion Michael Chandler defend his title against Eddie Alvarez in a rematch nearly two years in the making.

Lawal and Newton first met this past February, when Newton knocked out the former Strikeforce champion with a spinning back fist in the semifinals of Bellator’s Season 8 tournament. Following that defeat, “King Mo” went on to capture the Summer Series four-man tournament title, stopping Seth Petruzelli and Jacob Noe in June and July to earn his title shot.

“Listen, I’m going to be real honest about this. Emanuel is fake as hell,” Lawal said in the official release. “He runs his mouth about being a black skinhead or something and likes to act real hard. He’s as hard as baby s--t. I’m going to destroy this guy. He landed a shot on me in our first fight, nothing more than that. I’m better than him in every facet of the game. I didn’t even shoot on him that first fight. I can take this fight anywhere I want it, and I will. It’s over. I’m taking that belt in Long Beach, bringing it back to Las Vegas, and no one is getting it back. Not Vegh, not ‘Rampage,’ not Tito, not anyone. It’s mine. Payback is b---h, Emanuel.”

Newton, meanwhile, capped off his Season 8 tournament run with a unanimous decision win over Mikhail Zayats on March 28. “The Hardcore Kid” has won nine of his last 10 fights, with his lone loss in that span coming to Vegh in the 2012 Summer Series tournament 13 months ago.

“I’m not going to spout off and trash Mo; I don’t have to do that,” Newton said. “I know Mo is going to run his mouth and try to sell his game, but I don’t have anything to prove. I’m the one that knocked him out, and he’s the one that has to deal with that loss on his record, not me. I did it once, and I’m going to do it again, this time on an even bigger stage. History likes to repeat itself, and Nov. 2, Mo’s going to have to deal with another big loss on his record.”

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Conor McGregor claims he tore 80 percent of his ACL before UFC 189 interim title win

Conor McGregor’s victory over Chad Mendes at UFC 189 to win the UFC interim featherweight championship was the toughest fight of his UFC caree. Making the victory even more impressive is McGregor’s r read news >>

Conor McGregor Says He Had a Torn ACL in Chad Mendes Fight

When Conor McGregor won the interim featherweight title at UFC 189 by defeating Chad Mendes late in the second round, the Irishman was fighting with a partially torn ACL. read news >>

Conor McGregor Details Pre-UFC 189 ACL Injury, Says He Beat Chad Mendes on 1 Leg

Interim UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor is no stranger to making remarkable claims, so perhaps it’s little surprise that according to the fighting Irishman, he beat Chad Mendes in his previ read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Sergio Moraes in for injured Lyman Good vs. Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 80

The UFC’s first of three straight days of events in Las Vegas in December took another injury hit with the loss of Lyman Good from UFC Fight Night 80. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>

Bellator 145's Michael Chandler: 'I just know I'm better than Will Brooks'

Bellator executives haven’t come right out and told Michael Chandler what he’s fighting for at Bellator 145 next week, other than a paycheck and a possible win on his resume.Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>

New Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho wants to win GLORY title, too

Newly minted Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho would like to add kickboxing titleholder to his list of accomplishments.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>