rousimar-palhares-wsof-9

WSOF welterweight champ Rousimar Palhares is back in the gym and looking to book a fight. And while he initially expected to face Jon Fitch in September, “Toquinho” says he’s now just waiting to hear when he can fight again.

“I am ready,” Palhares (16-6) told MMAjunkie in his native Portuguese. “I was supposed to fight Jon Fitch on Sept. 13, but I guess WSOF needed to change the date, so I am training and ready to fight him or whoever they want to put in there against me. I’m just waiting for them to set the new date.”

Palhares, who won the WSOF welterweight title with a submission victory over Steve Carl in March, was expected to fight this summer at WSOF 11, when the promotion held its first event on network television. But the Brazilian submission master pulled himself from the July 5 NBC-televised fight in order to care for his mom, who was set to undergo surgery for extreme thrombosis in her legs.

Palhares said that procedure went according to plan, and his mother is now making a fine recovery.

“My mom now is well, thank God,” Palhares said. “She is still wrapped up in bandages, but the operation was successful, and she is slowly getting better.”

And with his mom’s condition secure, Palhares has returned to the gym. He took some criticism for his decision to withdraw from the summer appearance, but the 34-year-old said he’d do it just the same if he had to go through it all over again.

“Absolutely,” Palhares said. “I am who I am and owe everything that I have to my parents. They will always come first. I do not understand how anyone could think different.”

So now Palhares waits on his assignment. He said the September date would have been suitable, but WSOF officials told him they have different plans. What exactly those are, he doesn’t know, but he assumes Fitch (26-6-1) is still the No. 1 contender.

“I think Fitch is a great fighter, and I think he deserves to fight for the title,” Palhares said. “But I’ll fight who ever they want.”

In a perfect world, that will come sooner rather than later, as he’d appreciate the opportunity to compete two more times in 2014. In the meantime, Palhares is just happy his mom is healthy, and now he’s ready to get back into the cage.

“I would like to thank all the support from WSOF, from my team, my friends fans and everyone who sent their prayers and wishes for my mom’s health,” Palhares said. “Thank you so much. My mother is everything to me, as anyone’s mom and dad should be.”

WSOF’s next event takes place Saturday at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel & Casino with “WSOF 12: Palomino vs. Gonzalez.”

For more on WSOF 12 and other upcoming WSOF events, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

With more fights on WSOF deal, Justin Gaethje not yet thinking about UFC move

After his most recent victory, WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje made it known that he wanted a fight with Jason High. It turned out High wasn’t available for Gaethje, but that’s no big deal t read news >>

WSOF 30 Fighter Salaries: Champ David Branch Towers Over $294,500 Total Payroll

WSOF middleweight and light heavyweight champion David Branch's pay dwarfed the rest of the WSOF 30 fight card. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, April 5: WSOF champ Branch keeps rolling

Since a brief run in the UFC, two-division WSOF champ David Branch has become one of the sport’s top fighters competing outside the octagon. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Now that Cage Warriors is back, Graham Boylan hopes to up the fun factor this time

Cage Warriors hasn’t held an event since November 2014, but when the promotion returns for Cage Warriors 75 later this month, there are no plans for another extended layoff. Graham Boylan has learned read news >>

UFC FIGHT PASS Spotlight - Tampa

On Saturday night the UFC is back in Florida at the Amalie Arena in Tampa for a UFC Fight Night card with the preliminary action beginning at 4pm ET. UFC FIGHT PASS subscribers will be getting a tast read news >>

WSOF 31 main card finalized with John Howard, Luis Palomino, Chris Barnett, others

With three new bouts in a trio of weight classes, the main card is set for June’s WSOF 31 event.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

UFC on Fox 19: Head-to-Toe Breakdowns for Evans-Teixeira and Machida-Henderson

The UFC is back on Fox this weekend, but unfortunately we will not get the lightweight title eliminator we had hoped to see. An injury forced Tony Ferguson off the card, and Khabib Nurmagomedov will read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor calls me now, the fight with Nate Diaz is back on

UFC President Dana White says UFC featherweight champ Conor McGregor can still change his mind and fight at UFC 200. But there’s one thing White isn’t budging on: McGregor needs to promote.Filed unde read news >>

Conor McGregor Fires Back at Dana White's Comments at UFC 200 Presser

The press conference that the world has been waiting for. With UFC 197 just a day away, the UFC wanted to whet fans' appetites for UFC 200 with a press conference featuring the headliners for all thr read news >>

Jones vs. Saint Preux Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 197

UFC 197 made it official: Jon Jones is back. The former light heavyweight champion successfully came back after more than a year away from the Octagon with a unanimous-decision win over Ovince Saint read news >>