chael-sonnen-jon-anik.jpgWe’ve heard this bit from Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) before, but if the self-proclaimed “Gangster from West Linn, Oregon” is to be believed, he’s waiting to sign a new contract before his headlining bout with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua – and he’s apparently got a list of demands in hand.

“My contract with the UFC has expired,” Sonnen said during fan-driven Q&A session at this past weekend’s UFC Fan Expo. “So I went to Dana White, and I went to him with a list of my demands because he’s getting my contract together. He thought this was a gag, but I was being serious because it’s not all about money with me.”

Sonnen, of course, remains one of the UFC’s most outspoken characters. He frequently claimed in advance of his UFC July 2012 rematch with Anderson Silva that he hadn’t signed a bout agreement, but the contest went on exactly as planned. As it stands now, Sonnen is scheduled to headline the UFC’s Aug. 17 debut event on FOX Sports 1 against Rua.

But if you take Sonnen’s word, there may be a few hurdles to clear before that contest takes place. Sonnen said he communicated his requests to UFC President White via text message, and they include some rather interesting ideas.

“It says, ‘Dana, my manager said you guys talked and are getting a contract together for me,’” Sonnen explained. “‘I think you should be aware of my demands. First, Jello Biafra replaces Bruce Buffer as ring announcer. Secondly, every fight I’m in must be a No. 1 contender fight or a title match. If I lose, I get an immediate rematch until I win. No media can look me in the eye, or they will be removed from the room.

“‘No. 5: Headset legalized through the commission so I can call my own fights. No. 6: No longer will I walk to the ring. I need to be carried. No. 7: Keys to your least favorite Ferrari – I’m not asking too much. No. 8: I can Skype or FaceTime my fights if I feel like flying. No. 9 – and it’s non-negotiable: tell ‘GSP’ to stop being such a dick. I’ll return his truck when I’m done with it.’

“See, I’m not all about money, people. There’s more to these contracts. They’re very sophisticated.”

Sonnen’s tongue-in-cheek demands obviously drew laughs from the crowd, leaving the exact status of his contract with the UFC in the dark. However, Sonnen remains one of the sport’s biggest draws, and his on-camera work outside of the cage is valued as much as his performances in it. In short, it wouldn’t seem Sonnen is going to be a free agent anytime soon.

So does he actually need to sign a new deal? As with everything the 36-year-old claims, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

“First thing to remember is when you answer a question, you are not under oath,” Sonnen said. “I don’t answer questions. I handle questions. That’s very important to know.

“Secondly, don’t ever apologize for anything. You’re a grown up. If it comes out of your mouth, stand by it.”

“UFC on FOX Sports 1 1: Shogun vs. Sonnen” takes place Aug. 17 at Boston’s TD Garden. The evening’s main cars airs on FOX Sports 1 following preliminary bouts on the new all-sports channel, as well as three prelims that stream on Facebook.

For the latest on UFC on FOX Sports 1 1, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen and Jon Anik)

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor’s Coach is Undermining His UFC Power Play

Chael Sonnen says he laid out the blueprint for Conor McGregor to follow, but McGregor's coach is undermining his UFC power play. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Weighs in on Kevin Costner’s Desire for Olympic MMA

On this episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen weighs in on award winning actor Kevin Costner's desire to see mixed martial arts in the Olympics. read news >>

Newly Crowned ONE Atomweight Champ Angela Lee Signs Huge New Contract

Earlier in May, Angela Lee won the inaugural ONE women’s atomweight title. On Thursday, it was announced the 19-year-old had signed a bumper new pay deal. read news >>

Bellator Cuts Lightweight Champ Will Brooks, Strips Heavyweight Champion Vitaly Minakov

Bellator MMA on Saturday released disgruntled lightweight champion Will Brooks from his contract and stripped the heavyweight belt from Vitaly Minakov. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: People Throwing Away the Idea of McGregor vs. Mayweather Are Wrong

Chael Sonnen says that those who dismiss a Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather fight altogether are wrong, and explains how the fight could come together. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Chael Sonnen Turns Promoter, Launches “Submission Underground” Grappling Event

The news was announced on Wednesday that former UFC contender Chael Sonnen has turned to promoting. read news >>

Samman offers revealing look in new book 'The Housekeeper: Love, Death & Prizefighting'

UFC fighter Josh Samman has a unique life story that is a mixture of love, heartbreak and so much more. And in his new book “The Housekeeper: Love, Death & Prizefighting,” he takes readers along for read news >>

Chael Sonnen: ‘He Said Yes; That’s What Separates the Michael Bispings From the Rest’

You can say whatever you want about the UFC turning to Michael Bisping to fight Luke Rockhold at UFC 199. Chael Sonnen certainly doesn't care what you think. read news >>