Chael Sonnen says Evans was superior at UFC 167, plans return to middleweight


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

chael-sonnen-ufc-167

Chael Sonnen had a rough go against Rashad Evans at UFC 167. But even after being crushed by his FOX Sports colleague, the charismatic light heavyweight has no excuses for the defeat.

“I had one significant problem [against Evans],” Sonnen said following the event. “I took on a better fighter. I got mauled.”

Saturday’s co-headliner from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas was short and decisive. Evans (19-3-1 MMA, 14-3-1 UFC) controlled Sonnen (28-14-1 MMA, 7-7 UFC) early and cruised to victory after a securing a takedown and landing a cringe-worthy flurry of ground strikes. Sonnen’s inability to get off his back from under Evans was a crucial element in the loss, and his difficulties mirrored the shortcoming seen in his defeat to light heavyweight champion Jon Jones earlier this year.

“When he got in that top position there, I just couldn’t go anywhere,” Sonnen said. “I had the fence on one side. I had a world champion on the other side, and I was trying, but he hit me so hard. And then he did it again and again.”

Defeating Evans would have marked one of the most significant victories of Sonnen’s career, but unfortunately things did not go his way at the UFC’s 20th anniversary event. The 36-year-old expected to have much more success inside the cage against “Suga,” but he says the underwhelming performance was a product of being stuck in an inescapable position.

“I think that I could have some moments with him. I think that I’ve got some spots where I could be a lot more competitive, but that wasn’t one,” Sonnen said. “Once he got on top of me, I just couldn’t get out. We could still be out there. I’d still be down. I just couldn’t get up.”

While competing against a future Hall-of-Fame candidate in Evans was an honor for Sonnen, the outcome of the fight sent a clear message to the three-time UFC title challenger. Sonnen is very aware he was physically outmatched in the contest, and it made him realize once and for all the 205-pound weight class is not what’s best suited for him.

“I think I compete my best at 185,” Sonnen explained. “I’ve been trying to adjust to 205, and I don’t feel like they’re too big, but there’s a couple of positions that I’m just not able to get out of at 205. I’m just simply held down. So I think I can do my better competitive work at 185.”

Even with that said, Sonnen’s next fight could still take place in the light heavyweight division.

It is well known by now that the Oregon native will soon begin coaching the third installment of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” opposite Wanderlei Silva, another fighter who has fluctuated between weight classes in recent years. The grudge match between the two has been a very long time in the making and Sonnen is chomping at the bit to finally get his hands on “The Axe Murderer.”

After a friendly build-up for the fight against Evans, Sonnen is looking forward to his next challenge because the man fans have come to know and love is waiting to burst through the seams to torment his arch nemesis.

“I’ve been wanting to fight Wanderlei for three years,” Sonnen said. “I was never overly excited to fight Rashad. I did everything I could do to beat him, but no, I’ve been wanting to fight Wanderlei for three years.

“It’s a grudge match, and those don’t come along all that often. And when they do, they’re exciting, and they’re fun to be a part of. I’m always motivated to fight Wanderlei Silva.”

For complete coverage of UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 28 views

Chael Sonnen finally gets some good news. The former UFC middleweight and light heavyweight title challenger, who was released from the UFC and FOX Sports after testing positive for four illegal substances in two different drug tests, will still compete in a submission-only grappling match against Andre Galvao at Metamoris 4 in August. Metamoris president Ralek Gracie told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that Sonnen will headline the card despite the latest news. "Yes, he's on the card," Gracie tol more

  • 26 days ago
  • 68 views

There exists a small glimmer of hope for "The American Gangster." After failing his second consecutive drug test, Chael Sonnen was relieved of his duties as an employee of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which included his job as co-host of "UFC Tonight" and analyst for pre/post-fight shows on FOX. The former two-time No. 1 middleweight contender retired from active competition in mixed martial arts (MMA) following the backlash of his initial failed test, which revealed he had traces of An more

  • 23 days ago
  • 94 views

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses UFC 175, Stefan Struve, Chael Sonnen, Ronda Rousey's impact, Ronda Rousey at UFC 176, TUF 19, Cris Cyborg, and much more after the UFC 175 post-fight press conference. more

  • 21 days ago
  • 40 views

Former UFC middleweight star, Chael Sonnen faces a variety of penalties including a huge fine. Mark your calendars for July 17th. That's the date that the Nevada Attorney General has set as the cutoff to receive former UFC Middleweight star, Chael Sonnen's response on whether he'll be appealing a disciplinary complaint in the wake of two separate drug test failures. MMA Junkie obtained a copy of the complaint which indicates a possible $250,000 fine, suspension of his license, expenses related t more

  • 6 days ago
  • 11 views

Retired UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen was handed a two-year suspension from mixed martial arts by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) at a Wednesday hearing in Las Vegas. In addition to the suspension, Sonnen will be required to pay any and all doctors' fees for the random drug tests he failed on May 24th and June 5th, as well as be expected to work with the NAC to educate fighters and the commission to improve drug testing measures in the future. Sonnen will not face any additional monetary pe more

  • 28 days ago
  • 22 views

Following a pair of failed random drug tests, both the UFC and FOX are parting ways with recently retired fighter and on-air personality Chael Sonnen. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

  • 28 days ago
  • 44 views

Fox and the UFC are done with Chael Sonnen after the former title challenger tested positive for banned substances for a second time this year alone. One of the immediate concerns following Saturday night's revelation that Chael Sonnen had failed yet another drug test, this time including "major performance enhancing drugs" such as HGH and EPO, was how Fox and the UFC would handle the situation. It appears that we now know the answer to that question, with Sonnen bounced from both organizations. more

  • 28 days ago
  • 67 views

In light of a second failed drug test, this time for human growth hormone (HGH) and recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO), the UFC and FOX Sports have parted ways with Chael Sonnen. UFC officials announced the termination of Sonnen's broadcasting agreement late Monday night, issuing the following statement. "The UFC and FOX Sports organizations announced today the termination of their respective broadcasting services agreements with analyst Chael Sonnen. This decision comes in light of Sonnen f more

  • 28 days ago
  • 72 views

Bombs away! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and FOX Sports have officially cut ties with Chael Sonnen in the wake of his multiple failed drug tests (read full details here), according to a statement obtained by MMAFighting.com. Read it in full: "The UFC and FOX Sports organizations announced today the termination of their respective broadcasting services agreements with analyst Chael Sonnen. This decision comes in light of Sonnen failing a second test conducted by the Nevada Athletic Commis more