Less than three weeks after failing a random drug test in Nevada that took him out of a UFC 175 bout against Vitor Belfort, and ultimately led to his retirement from MMA, Chael Sonnen has reportedly failed a second test, as well.
MMA Fighting reported Saturday night that a second test, also administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, showed Sonnen had human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin, anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin.
According to the report, Sonnen took the second test on June 5 in his home state of Oregon. At the time, the results of his first test, which took place in late May in Las Vegas, had not been released. The results of that test came out June 10, when it was revealed Sonnen tested positive for Sonnen tested positive for anastrozole, a non-steroidal aromatase-inhibiting drug used to treat breast cancer, and clomiphene, which is used to treat female infertility.
Sonnen said after the failed test that he was on the drugs as he cycled off his previous therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy, which the NSAC banned earlier this year.
Sonnen issued a statement to MMA Fighting regarding the results of the second test: “Yes, the Commission is aware of other prescribed medications I was taking and I will not challenge their allegations,” Sonnen stated. “I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules.”
After his first positive test, Sonnen said on the “UFC Tonight” program he hosts on FOX Sports 1 that the medical condition that necessitated his use of TRT in turn forced him to take medications in the transition off TRT to maintain a healthy life outside the octagon.
“Look, they changed the rules, and I’ve got to comply with the rules,” Sonnen said then. “I don’t resist that at all. However, there is a transition period, and I couldn’t have been more open or more transparent, whether it was ‘UFC Tonight,’ whether it was different interviews or different places. Anybody that I could tell that I could talk to about this, I did. And these are the medications that you have to go on to lead a healthy life, and if they’re asking me to choose between health and my sport, that’s not a choice I can make. I’ve got to choose health.”
This past week, the NSAC said it will revisit Sonnen’s failed test later this year for likely disciplinary action. Now that he’s retired, a possible suspension may not affect him. He may be fined, as well.
For more on UFC 175, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.